Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-11, 01:18 PM   #1
antokelly
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
best touring shorts ever

isn't it great when you get something that's worth every cent you spend on it,such is the case with my new MTB touring shorts from a company in England who make quality cycling clothing www.Corinne Dennis.co.uk
the inner shorts are made from Lycra with a top quality padding, brilliant i was not expecting that
the shorts are light with loads of pockets and the material is very strong and really well put together.
so if you folks are in the market for quality shorts then take a look at what this company has to offer i really don't think you will be disappointed.
cheers
antokelly.
antokelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 01:54 PM   #2
ctyler
Badger Biker
 
ctyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Beloit, Wisconsin
Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
Posts: 974
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the heads up. I'm sending them an email to see if they ship to the US.
ctyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 02:20 PM   #3
antokelly
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyler View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I'm sending them an email to see if they ship to the US.
I'm sure they will i live in Ireland had them in 4 days great service.
i see by the brochure they send me they have a waterproof lightweight jacket that get thumbs up also from cycling weekly Britains biggest cycling mag.
antokelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 03:48 PM   #4
bradtx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pearland, Texas
Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
Posts: 6,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Thanks, antokelly for it's time for me to pick up another couple of pairs of shorts. To this point my favorite have been Zoid.

Brad
bradtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 03:50 PM   #5
Cyclesafe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Diego
Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer
Posts: 1,435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whoops! www.corinne dot com got me something entirely else altogether. Now I got to figure out how to erase my web history before the wife comes home.
Cyclesafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 03:58 PM   #6
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 19,730
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
the space between words messed up the intended link,
maybe the OP can edit that better ..

you can cut and paste this one ..

http://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-13-11 at 04:02 PM.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 04:36 PM   #7
antokelly
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
the space between words messed up the intended link,
maybe the OP can edit that better ..

you can cut and paste this one ..

http://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/
fietsbob thanks for fixing that you know me useless on computers.
antokelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 04:40 PM   #8
antokelly
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
btw i take 34in waste so the large size are perfect fit .
antokelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 06:16 PM   #9
bradtx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pearland, Texas
Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
Posts: 6,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Cyclesafe, Click the down arrow in the address box. To the far right of the errant address will be a rex X. Click that to erase that one link.

Brad
bradtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 06:23 PM   #10
Cyclesafe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Diego
Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer
Posts: 1,435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtx View Post
Cyclesafe, Click the down arrow in the address box. To the far right of the errant address will be a rex X. Click that to erase that one link.Brad
Thanks. I didn't know you could do that. Seems kinda a PITA if you've made a lot of mistakes like this.....
Cyclesafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 06:21 AM   #11
Paul01
Senior Member
 
Paul01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa Bay, Fl
Bikes: Vitus 979, KHS Montana Comp
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Men's Touring Shorts from :

http://www.bicycleclothing.com/Mens-Touring-Shorts.html

No pad, just a regular synthetic chamois so you don't feel like you're wearing a wet diaper after sweating.
Paul01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 04:11 PM   #12
antokelly
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul01 View Post
Men's Touring Shorts from :

http://www.bicycleclothing.com/Mens-Touring-Shorts.html

No pad, just a regular synthetic chamois so you don't feel like you're wearing a wet diaper after sweating.
Just had a good look at your choice of shorts the corinne dennis believe me are far better .
the inside of he leg are made from some kind of stretch fabric almost elastic there is 4 pockets to the front2 of them are zips , full zip fly/ elastic waste band ,the inner shorts are just like a pair of quality cycling lycra shorts that can be detached very easy drying time is very quick and they look good to boot.
antokelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 05:57 PM   #13
Newspaperguy
Senior Member
 
Newspaperguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 2,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul01 View Post
Men's Touring Shorts from :

http://www.bicycleclothing.com/Mens-Touring-Shorts.html

No pad, just a regular synthetic chamois so you don't feel like you're wearing a wet diaper after sweating.
These are what I use for cycling. They feel quite comfortable.
Newspaperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 08:39 PM   #14
niknak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Although they're incredibly pricey, the Rapha touring shorts and padded boxers are really nice. The shorts are slim cut so they don't slide up and flap in the breeze like most baggies. The boxers have a thin pad and are made of a mix of merino wool and synthetics. I got these as gifts and love the combo. The quality is excellent but you'll pay out the nose for it.
niknak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11, 01:41 AM   #15
sstorkel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
Posts: 5,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
When I'm on the bike, I wear lycra bib cycling shorts. You know: the shorts that professional bike racers use to ride 100 miles/day for weeks at a time. When I get off the bike and need pockets or want to look more "normal", I open my panniers, grab my regular off-bike shorts and pull them on over the lycra shorts. I've never understood baggy bike shorts: they always seem to combine a cut-rate chamois with an ugly short and you pay a premium price...
sstorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11, 06:33 AM   #16
dannwilliams 
It's as easy as riding a
 
dannwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: River Falls, WI
Bikes: '14 Salsa Colossal, '06 Surly Long Haul Trucker, '89 GT Timberline
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstorkel View Post
When I'm on the bike, I wear lycra bib cycling shorts. You know: the shorts that professional bike racers use to ride 100 miles/day for weeks at a time. When I get off the bike and need pockets or want to look more "normal", I open my panniers, grab my regular off-bike shorts and pull them on over the lycra shorts. I've never understood baggy bike shorts: they always seem to combine a cut-rate chamois with an ugly short and you pay a premium price...
+1
__________________
"It doesn't get easier, you just go faster."
dannwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11, 07:19 AM   #17
antokelly
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
ah ha my point exactly but with these shorts you wont have to go to your pannier to dig out boxer because the inner shorts with these are as good as top class bibs, i know because i ware assos bibs all the time even touring .
im not joking these shorts are the business.
btw i've doing exactly what you do digging in the pannier but not any more.
antokelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11, 08:46 AM   #18
nun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
Posts: 3,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by niknak View Post
Although they're incredibly pricey, the Rapha touring shorts and padded boxers are really nice. The shorts are slim cut so they don't slide up and flap in the breeze like most baggies. The boxers have a thin pad and are made of a mix of merino wool and synthetics. I got these as gifts and love the combo. The quality is excellent but you'll pay out the nose for it.
Agreed about Rapha stuff. I tour in the Rapha fixed pants....they are good from hot to cold weather, have a thin pad and lots of good pockets. They were replaced by the 3/4 shorts that look a little more tailored, but they are similar.

http://www.rapha.cc/3or4-shorts
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11, 10:53 PM   #19
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 5,775
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
rapha stuff looks really nice, but wow, $200 for a pair of 3/4s and $111 for the touring ones BEFORE shipping, and import duties....ouch.

I would like to be able to see and feel (and try on) these expensive pieces before even considering them, especially at these prices. I personally really like the narrow and longer cut look and wear of the rapha stuff, its odd but it seems to me that here anyways in Montreal, one doesnt find anything in between lycra bike shorts with padding (which I use all time) and really baggy mtn shorts. Being tall and thin, the real baggy stuff doesnt work for me, I wish there were some alternatives to the rapha stuff, and made and/or sold here so I can see it and try it on.

are there any other suggestions of brands that are in line visually and build like the raphas?
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11, 11:07 PM   #20
dciskey
Member
 
dciskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Land of Milk and Cubbies (Chicago, IL)
Bikes: Surly Pacer
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
rapha stuff looks really nice, but wow, $200 for a pair of 3/4s and $111 for the touring ones BEFORE shipping, and import duties....ouch.

I would like to be able to see and feel (and try on) these expensive pieces before even considering them, especially at these prices. I personally really like the narrow and longer cut look and wear of the rapha stuff, its odd but it seems to me that here anyways in Montreal, one doesnt find anything in between lycra bike shorts with padding (which I use all time) and really baggy mtn shorts. Being tall and thin, the real baggy stuff doesnt work for me, I wish there were some alternatives to the rapha stuff, and made and/or sold here so I can see it and try it on.

are there any other suggestions of brands that are in line visually and build like the raphas?
I've got some Chrome knickers from last year; they've been pretty solid. I've tried on this year's knicks (Telegraph) and they're nice; they've got a very similar design to last year's but a slightly nicer material. Not quite as tailored as the Raphas but not as pricey either.

I don't do long summer rides in knicks, though; I use nylon hiking shorts (Kuhl Renegade) with Novara cycling boxer briefs underneath. They work very well. I love my knicks and I'll use them with the cycling undies if it's not too hot, but sometimes it's all about the shorts.

Last edited by dciskey; 06-15-11 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Add info
dciskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-11, 08:11 AM   #21
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 5,775
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
tks dciskey, shall check out those brand names. I definitely will do more looking for more narrow type hiking / mtn bike shorts in town here. Since I began using Brooks saddles, I am leaning more and more to less padded shorts, especially during really hot days, but shorts with biking in mind will always be better for seams and such.
thanks

if anyone else has suggestions, feel free. Oh, and while talking about the cost of Rapha stuff, last month I stupidly got a parking ticket while at a bike store no less, it was $82 ---such a waste of money and nearly the cost of a pair of Rapha touring shorts which makes it all the more galling!!
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-11, 08:16 AM   #22
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 19,730
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
They quit making Helenca shorts at Kucharek, in Gardenia Cal,
I like the fabric better than Lycra, but Lycra sells better.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-11, 08:01 PM   #23
NoGaBiker
But wait... I AM the man.
 
NoGaBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: No Ga.
Bikes: Merlin Extralight DA, 1982 Peugeot CFX-10 Campy NR, 7 Cruisers kept at beach, Raleigh Passage 4.0 hybrid, Marin Commuter with racks and bags
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by antokelly View Post
ah ha my point exactly but with these shorts you wont have to go to your pannier to dig out boxer because the inner shorts with these are as good as top class bibs, i know because i ware assos bibs all the time even touring .
im not joking these shorts are the business.
btw i've doing exactly what you do digging in the pannier but not any more.
I use a pair of my Assos bibs for touring and just keep a cheap pair of pocketed shorts on over them the whole time. Absolutely can't tell they're there while riding, but when I get off the bike I don't look like a fancy boy. I've seen no reason to buy cheap touring shorts (I'd have to settle for a crappy chamois), nor to buy expensive ones (I'd pay money for gear I would only use on my touring rig, not my racing bikes, fixie, etc.)
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-11, 06:59 AM   #24
antokelly
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker View Post
I use a pair of my Assos bibs for touring and just keep a cheap pair of pocketed shorts on over them the whole time. Absolutely can't tell they're there while riding, but when I get off the bike I don't look like a fancy boy. I've seen no reason to buy cheap touring shorts (I'd have to settle for a crappy chamois), nor to buy expensive ones (I'd pay money for gear I would only use on my touring rig, not my racing bikes, fixie, etc.)
YES but your carrying two pair of shorts are you not . so buy these and your problem is solved well not that its a problem but so much handier to ware one pair of shorts that does the job of two.
antokelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-11, 07:39 AM   #25
clasher 
Senior Member
 
clasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kitchener, ON
Bikes:
Posts: 1,913
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
are there any other suggestions of brands that are in line visually and build like the raphas?
I've been waiting for these wool riding pants to come back into stock... they might be a bit heavy in the summer, I dunno, but they are only 20$ so if they are heavier than I have a great pair of winter pants. In the interim I'm going to grab a few pairs of wool slacks from a thrift shop and hack them up a bit.
clasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:28 AM.