Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-11, 06:53 PM   #1
E_merlin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LHT to Salsa Casseroll - possible - difficult - dumb?

So - I have a LHT that I have spent over two thousand miles on. I really like the bike but.... I have yet to tour on it and am looking for something a bit sportier for brevet or century riding. FWIW - I also have a mint '84 Trek 620 sitting in the wings ready to be put into service. The LHT and the 620 would fit the same purpose. I do love the LHT, but I just want something a bit more spry

So - I am interested the 2011 Casseroll, it seems to fit the bill and I like the looks. I was thinking about purchasing frame only and moving the parts over from the Trucker which is all XT. The trucker is 26" wheels so that won't work, but what about the other parts? Can I transfer everything else over? I think the seat post is the same as well?

The complete bike is like 1199 and the frame is 549 - before any good guy discounts :-). I wonder what my LBS would charge to do the work.

Any thoughts would be appreciated - also any other bikes I should consider in this price range? Wish I had the cash for a Riv Hilson.... Am I making a poor decision?

Cheers
E_merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 07:46 PM   #2
bradtx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pearland, Texas
Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
Posts: 6,705
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
E_merlin, Are you sure you won't be disappointed with the Casseroll because it isn't a Hilson? Anyway, you should ride what style of bike you wish to.

Brad
bradtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 08:16 PM   #3
kuan
Twincities MN
 
kuan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Salsa, Cannondale, Surly.
Bikes:
Posts: 2,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's what I did. I have a 53cm Casseroll and love it. There's toe overlap if I have on big shoes and Keen commuter sandals so I can't ride it like a city bike. The problem goes away when I wear Sidis. Here's how I had mine initially setup. Brifters, compact road gearing, dyno hub.

__________________
www.marrow.org
kuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 08:54 PM   #4
tarwheel 
Senior Member
 
tarwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 8,520
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I got a 2011 Casseroll in April because I wanted a quicker, lighter, livelier bike for commuting than my touring bike. I just bought the frame/fork and swapped parts from my old Merckx Corsa, but still needed to buy canti brakes, threadless headset and stem. The Casseroll has turned out to be a great bike, and I've hardly even ridden my 4 other road bikes since I got it. It is the most comfortable riding bike I have owned, yet is quick and light enough for group rides. It is also very versatile. I am riding it on Bike Virginia starting next weekend and bringing an extra set of wheels with cross tires so I can ride on the New River Trail part of the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg casseroll - light touring.jpg (82.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg salsa-2.jpg (54.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg salsa-1.jpg (57.6 KB, 86 views)
tarwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 08:58 PM   #5
E_merlin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
I got a 2011 Casseroll in April because I wanted a quicker, lighter, livelier bike for commuting than my touring bike. I just bought the frame/fork and swapped parts from my old Merckx Corsa, but still needed to buy canti brakes, threadless headset and stem. The Casseroll has turned out to be a great bike, and I've hardly even ridden my 4 other road bikes since I got it. It is the most comfortable riding bike I have owned, yet is quick and light enough for group rides. It is also very versatile. I am riding it on Bike Virginia starting next weekend and bringing an extra set of wheels with cross tires so I can ride on the New River Trail part of the time.
Thanks - that is the kind of feedback I am looking for. What touring bike did you come from?
E_merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 09:12 PM   #6
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Soma Smoothie, Miyata City Liner, Specialized FSR Comp, Fuji Professional
Posts: 1,316
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Or a Soma Smoothie or Smoothie ES

I got a Smoothie and admit that it was because I like the look of the white frame and white steel fork. The steel forks allow greater tire clearance with fenders as well

Rides great, handle great, takes up to a 28mm tire, or 25 with fenders, plus has rear rack eyelets. This bike replaces the Heron Road that was too big for me and becomes my hilly century, hotel touring bike. I paid $550 frame and fork.

http://www.somafab.com/index.html

SB
Steve B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 09:23 PM   #7
E_merlin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
Or a Soma Smoothie or Smoothie ES

I got a Smoothie and admit that it was because I like the look of the white frame and white steel fork. The steel forks allow greater tire clearance with fenders as well

Rides great, handle great, takes up to a 28mm tire, or 25 with fenders, plus has rear rack eyelets. This bike replaces the Heron Road that was too big for me and becomes my hilly century, hotel touring bike. I paid $550 frame and fork.

http://www.somafab.com/index.html

SB

I think you are right on Soma - the Stanyan should be on my list - not sure about the price
E_merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 05:30 AM   #8
E_merlin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else have a thought?
E_merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 05:49 AM   #9
VT_Speed_TR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vermont
Bikes:
Posts: 737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Look at my sig line! I got the 2011 Casseroll in April and the LHT went up for sale shortly after. I have been having a blast on the Casseroll, it is just so lively and smooth on the road. I road the LHT the other day and it just felt heavy. I had many a great ride on the LHT and its surely (Surly) a workhorse, but the Casseroll just makes long day rides so much fun. I didn't realize all the fun I was missing. Wouldn't use the Casseroll for heavy touring, but with a light load, I can see some summer trips using a light hamock & sleeping bag to camp, or some CC touring.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Casseroll.JPG (55.8 KB, 96 views)
VT_Speed_TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 05:57 AM   #10
E_merlin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT_Speed_TR View Post
Look at my sig line! I got the 2011 Casseroll in April and the LHT went up for sale shortly after. I have been having a blast on the Casseroll, it is just so lively and smooth on the road. I road the LHT the other day and it just felt heavy. I had many a great ride on the LHT and its surely (Surly) a workhorse, but the Casseroll just makes long day rides so much fun. I didn't realize all the fun I was missing. Wouldn't use the Casseroll for heavy touring, but with a light load, I can see some summer trips using a light hamock & sleeping bag to camp, or some CC touring.

Thanks VT - great bike looking bike.
E_merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 06:19 AM   #11
seeker333
__________
 
seeker333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Bikes: yes!
Posts: 3,168
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_merlin View Post
Anyone else have a thought?
I assume you are aware that you'd be losing 35mm of chainstay in the switch from a LHT to Casseroll. Also, 700c wheels on smaller frames normally result in toe overlap, as mentioned in post #3.

Have you considered a Vaya?
seeker333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 07:05 AM   #12
tarwheel 
Senior Member
 
tarwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 8,520
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_merlin View Post
Thanks - that is the kind of feedback I am looking for. What touring bike did you come from?
My touring bike is a Bob Jackson World Tour. I still have it and plan to keep it. My Jackson is built up to handle loads with bomb-proof wheels (36 H Dyads), but just isn't as fun to ride on a daily basis. That is partly due to the extra weight, but also due to the frame being much stiffer. I ride the Jackson much more in the winter when I have to carry a lot more clothing while commuting. Eventually I would like to do some loaded touring with it, but haven't accumulated all of the gear I need (mainly panniers).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BJ-8.jpg (76.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg BJ-9.jpg (63.2 KB, 31 views)
tarwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 07:26 AM   #13
tarwheel 
Senior Member
 
tarwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 8,520
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I also considered buying a Soma ES and it's another great option. In my case, the Casseroll geometry suits me better -- taller head tube and shorter top tube -- but that's an individual fit issue. However, I also like the canti brakes on the Casseroll, which provide better braking and more room for larger tires and fenders. The Casseroll also includes a front rack, but I left it off mine because my Jackson already had one that I rarely use and I was trying to minimize the weight as much as possible.

I've owned at least 10 road bikes over the years, including some quality racing frame (GIOS, Merckx, Bianchi, De Bernardi) and the Casseroll is the nicest riding bike I have owned. I am not a racer and comfort is more important to me than speed, stiffness and extreme light weight. However, the Casseroll seems to ride just as fast as my Merckx and De Bernardi racing frames. I rode a century in April at an 18.5 mph pace in very windy weather with my Casseroll rigged with fenders and a large seatbag (see photo above), which is a good time for me under those conditions.
tarwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 07:37 AM   #14
E_merlin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker333 View Post
I assume you are aware that you'd be losing 35mm of chainstay in the switch from a LHT to Casseroll. Also, 700c wheels on smaller frames normally result in toe overlap, as mentioned in post #3.

Have you considered a Vaya?
Do doubt - the toe overlap is a concern. With a greater fork rake I think that will make it livable on a 53CM. I could be completely wrong.
E_merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 07:38 AM   #15
E_merlin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
I also considered buying a Soma ES and it's another great option. In my case, the Casseroll geometry suits me better -- taller head tube and shorter top tube -- but that's an individual fit issue. However, I also like the canti brakes on the Casseroll, which provide better braking and more room for larger tires and fenders. The Casseroll also includes a front rack, but I left it off mine because my Jackson already had one that I rarely use and I was trying to minimize the weight as much as possible.

I've owned at least 10 road bikes over the years, including some quality racing frame (GIOS, Merckx, Bianchi, De Bernardi) and the Casseroll is the nicest riding bike I have owned. I am not a racer and comfort is more important to me than speed, stiffness and extreme light weight. However, the Casseroll seems to ride just as fast as my Merckx and De Bernardi racing frames. I rode a century in April at an 18.5 mph pace in very windy weather with my Casseroll rigged with fenders and a large seatbag (see photo above), which is a good time for me under those conditions.
Thanks Tarwheel - I appreciate the info, I think it would be same for me.
E_merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 07:39 AM   #16
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget
 
Bacciagalupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In terms of "zippier feeling ride" it should work out, and the parts ought to be compatible.

However, I'm not sure you will end up saving any money in the process. The frame will run you $550, wheels another $350+, labor can easily run you $250. All that to what, move $250 in slightly used parts?

In contrast you might be able to remove the racks and saddle, and sell the LHT for $500.

You might also want to look into something a tad more sporty, like a "plush" bike -- Specialized Secteur or Roubaix, Giant Defy, Cdale Synapse.
Bacciagalupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 07:56 AM   #17
tarwheel 
Senior Member
 
tarwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 8,520
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker333 View Post
I assume you are aware that you'd be losing 35mm of chainstay in the switch from a LHT to Casseroll. Also, 700c wheels on smaller frames normally result in toe overlap, as mentioned in post #3.
My gosh -- how long are the chainstays on a LHT? The Casseroll has 42.5 cm chainstays, but you can easily stretch that out to 45 cm due to the horizontal dropouts.

I have had no issues whatsoever with toe overlap on my 56 cm Casseroll, even with front fenders.
tarwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 08:32 AM   #18
E_merlin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
My gosh -- how long are the chainstays on a LHT? The Casseroll has 42.5 cm chainstays, but you can easily stretch that out to 45 cm due to the horizontal dropouts.

I have had no issues whatsoever with toe overlap on my 56 cm Casseroll, even with front fenders.
The chainstay on my trucker 47cm

Absolutely perfect for my Arkel utility panniers.
E_merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 08:37 AM   #19
E_merlin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe View Post
In terms of "zippier feeling ride" it should work out, and the parts ought to be compatible.

However, I'm not sure you will end up saving any money in the process. The frame will run you $550, wheels another $350+, labor can easily run you $250. All that to what, move $250 in slightly used parts?

In contrast you might be able to remove the racks and saddle, and sell the LHT for $500.

You might also want to look into something a tad more sporty, like a "plush" bike -- Specialized Secteur or Roubaix, Giant Defy, Cdale Synapse.
You are probably right on about going frame only. They make it very attractive to buy the whole bike.

"You might also want to look into something a tad more sporty, like a "plush" bike -- Specialized Secteur or Roubaix, Giant Defy, Cdale Synapse." - thanks for the recommendations, but I really want to stick with steel.
E_merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 09:11 AM   #20
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Soma Smoothie, Miyata City Liner, Specialized FSR Comp, Fuji Professional
Posts: 1,316
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_merlin View Post
I think you are right on Soma - the Stanyan should be on my list - not sure about the price
Stanyon is a great looking bike, but you have to like black. Pretty lugs as well. Only thing I warn folks about is the headtube is very short and makes it tougher to get the h-bar up towards saddle height. Read the spec's to compare.

SB
Steve B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 05:14 PM   #21
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries
 
fuzz2050's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 3,702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_merlin View Post
"You might also want to look into something a tad more sporty, like a "plush" bike -- Specialized Secteur or Roubaix, Giant Defy, Cdale Synapse." - thanks for the recommendations, but I really want to stick with steel.
How about one of these: It's road bike sporty, but can take reasonable width tires and fenders.
fuzz2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 09:41 PM   #22
Daddy Wags
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes: Raleigh Mountain 200.....Giant Escape 0
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hadn't been on a drop-bar road bike in 20 years when I went bike shopping. Just mountain bikes and hybrids in recent years.
My immediate reaction to the Salsa Casseroll was, "My God, this thing rides nice." I hope to have one myself this summer.
Question: Who makes those large front handlebar bags that appear in several of the above photos? Got to get one of those when I buy the Casseroll.
Daddy Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 05:10 AM   #23
VT_Speed_TR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vermont
Bikes:
Posts: 737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Wags View Post
Who makes those large front handlebar bags that appear in several of the above photos? Got to get one of those when I buy the Casseroll.
Mine is a Velo Orange bag, but it mounts on the front rack, not attached to the handlebar. Other front rack bags I know of are Acorn, Gills Berthoud. I think Rivendell bikes may carry some also.
VT_Speed_TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 05:22 AM   #24
E_merlin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Wags View Post
Question: Who makes those large front handlebar bags that appear in several of the above photos? Got to get one of those when I buy the Casseroll.
Not sure how VT is making out with the Velo Orange, but mine is an Acorn. I had the Velo Orange and did not have a good experience with it - it is reasonably priced however. Perhaps it has been improved.

The Acorn Rando bag is very well hand built bag - good quality construction. You can find them here. The bad thing about Acorn is they can be hard to get as their production is limited.

Swift industries also makes some good looking products but are more expensive yet. I think they offer custom build options as well.
E_merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 07:13 AM   #25
kuan
Twincities MN
 
kuan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Salsa, Cannondale, Surly.
Bikes:
Posts: 2,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine is a Loyal Designs bag. Zugster also makes them but they don't have the same kind of look.
__________________
www.marrow.org
kuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:05 PM.