Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member mtnbud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Salem Oregon
    My Bikes
    1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Posts
    401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Homemade alcohol stove

    I'm new to the homemade alcohol stove scene. I'm looking forward to trying this stove on my next tour coming up in a week. My buddies and I use snacks, meals in restaurants, and grocery store convenience foods so this will just be a new experience for me. I'll use it for heating water for coffee and an occasional freeze dry meal. Anyone want to share their homemade stove pics/ experiences?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOG2MDEzp9E
    Last edited by mtnbud; 07-08-11 at 01:18 AM. Reason: add link

  2. #2
    Walmart bike rider gpsblake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,681
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those things work good. I just use a cat-can for my stove and it works great. I use 91 percent rubbing alcohol for my fuel. I just about a dozen holes on it, and I am able to bring water to a boil very quickly.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    549
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please don't burn those in an unventilated building. the fumes can be a serious problem.
    " If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

  4. #4
    "Fred"--is that bad? DTSCDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    214 Represent!
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)
    Posts
    458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is a store-bought Trangia but it is the same principle. I love mine. I use denatured alcohol. One word of advice: If you are putting your alcohol into some type of container, mark it well or put a couple of drops of food color into it so you can, at a glance, know it isn't water.
    Lightweight, quick, simple--what's not to like?
    The meek shall inherit the earth (If that's okay with the rest of you.)
    “Many of us spend half our time wishing for things we could have if we didn’t spend half our time wishing.”Alexander Woolcot
    Schwinn Super Sport (86)
    Trek 7.3FX (07)
    Trek T200 Tandem (Until I sell it!)

  5. #5
    Walmart bike rider gpsblake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,681
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues Frog View Post
    Please don't burn those in an unventilated building. the fumes can be a serious problem.
    +1 - and of course not inside your tent and make sure the can can't tip over. One disadvantage is the heat is often invisible to the eye, thus sometimes hard to tell when it's actually out. Denatured alcohol burns cleaner then 91 percent rubbing alcohol but usually it's bought in a much larger container then a pint of rubbing alcohol. Cheers.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Gaseous Cloud around Uranus
    Posts
    3,483
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And have a bottle of water handy in case it does spill.

    Handy little things.Have fun.
    Everything should be as simple as possible...But not more so.---Albert Einstein

  7. #7
    Occasional poster countrydirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pueblo, CO
    My Bikes
    Miyata Trail, Giant Kronos
    Posts
    287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like my pop-can stoves.


    I would caution against trying to use water to put out a burning spill. A spreading puddle of blue flame can be quite exciting!
    Last edited by countrydirt; 07-09-11 at 08:20 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member mtnbud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Salem Oregon
    My Bikes
    1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Posts
    401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countrydirt View Post
    I really like my pop-can stoves.


    I would caution against trying to use water to put out a burning spill. A spreading puddle of blue flame can be quite exciting!
    Yep - you got to snuff it out by putting an empty pot over the stove. Water just flushes the fuel out and about - still burning as it flows.

    I'm careful to use mine outside. Anyone make the mistake of of using one indoors? What were the consequences? It's too bad they denature the alcohol! There no way I'm going to spend the extra money for Everclear for stove fuel.

  9. #9
    Senior Member mparker326's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    74 Schwinn Paramount P10, 88 Fisher Montare
    Posts
    1,711
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't make the same mistake I did with my homemade penny can stove. I was inexperienced with alcohol stoves and the invisible daytime flames. You have to prime a penny can stove to light it, I thought the flames had gone out and it didn't light. I went to add more priming fuel and you guessed it . . . poof no eyebrows and I was patting out my burning face!

  10. #10
    Senior Member mtnbud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Salem Oregon
    My Bikes
    1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Posts
    401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mparker326 View Post
    Don't make the same mistake I did with my homemade penny can stove. I was inexperienced with alcohol stoves and the invisible daytime flames. You have to prime a penny can stove to light it, I thought the flames had gone out and it didn't light. I went to add more priming fuel and you guessed it . . . poof no eyebrows and I was patting out my burning face!

    Ouch! I've always wondered what the flash point of alcohol is and if the stove was still hot if that would ignite the fuel too.

    I've done lots of tests of different designs and never realized how invisible those flames are until I tried mine this spring to make some coffee while on a ski tour. In the bright mid day sun, those flames were completely invisible. Always in my trail runs, I could at least see the flames a little.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    4,866
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbud View Post
    Ouch! I've always wondered what the flash point of alcohol is and if the stove was still hot if that would ignite the fuel too.

    I've done lots of tests of different designs and never realized how invisible those flames are until I tried mine this spring to make some coffee while on a ski tour. In the bright mid day sun, those flames were completely invisible. Always in my trail runs, I could at least see the flames a little.
    In bright sunlight you can use a blade of grass held near the burner to indicate flame.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •