I'm getting my gear together for a north to south ride through France in September/ early October, and I have decided that the old, small panniers I have used for short tours are just not up to the task.
- I will only be using rear panniers plus a front rack bag (small front rack with no lowrider provisions) so they need to be decently large. How large? Probably at least 40 Liters fro the pair. but I'm trying to pack light.
- Waterproof would be great but not necessary. No sponges though.
- I strongly prefer one or two big pockets to tons of little nooks and crannies that I forget even exist and thus lose things in my own bags.
- Ease of carrying off-bike is a consideration but probably the least important.
- Durable! I suck at taking care of things.
- They need to look great, like me.
I know I'm, pretty much describing the Ortlieb Classics, but I want to be aware of other options before I automatically hand over my money to the German Empire of Touring, which was my first inclination.
I did run some searches, I just need affirmation that I am making the right choice.