Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Montréal (Québec)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Year : 2001.
The 2000 was deep blue, with threaded headset and 24 speeds.
The 2001 was grey (I think), with threadless headset and 27 speeds.
Pros and cons:
- Threadless is, in theory at least, more rigid, but you won't notice it unless you stand to climb. Creaks are less likely with threadless.
- Threaded has a slender look, which most people find nicer.
- With threaded, if you want higher, you try to find a nice high stem. For $30 (Zoom) or more than $50 (the very nice Nitto Tecnomic), you can get 150-200 mm vertical extension.
- With threadless, you can get it fairly high, providing the shop hasn't cut the fork.
- With threadless, you can buy a stem with 45-degree rise and still get the bars rather high, or get an extender and get them much higher (with an ugly setup).
- With threadless and an uncut fork, you could easily install 2 stems above eachother, which is what I did on the tandem: lower stem for the handlebar bag, and higher stem for the handlebars.