Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,248
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Well, I had a moment of weakness

    Hi,
    I had been looking at an IF touring frame for
    days on Ebay. I don't know what posessed me to bid on it.
    Not at all sure I'll have any standover on it.
    But it looks like a nice frame for a reasonable amount of money.
    ANyone have any experience with IF frames?
    I've never even ridden one. If I get it, I'll prob build it up with 7 speed parts
    since I have a ton of them already. The wife has no idea this is going on,
    I'll be in the doghouse for a while if I win.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

  2. #2
    Senior Member halfspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SE Minnesota
    My Bikes
    are better than yours.
    Posts
    10,428
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by late
    Hi,
    I had been looking at an IF touring frame for
    days on Ebay. I don't know what posessed me to bid on it.
    Not at all sure I'll have any standover on it.
    But it looks like a nice frame for a reasonable amount of money.
    ANyone have any experience with IF frames?
    I've never even ridden one. If I get it, I'll prob build it up with 7 speed parts
    since I have a ton of them already. The wife has no idea this is going on,
    I'll be in the doghouse for a while if I win.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
    So are you posting it here in hopes that someone else will bail you out by outbidding you?

    Nice bike, but the head angle looks a little steep. Might just be the picture, though.

  3. #3
    Senior Member saddlesores's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Hainan, China
    Posts
    538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it my eyes, or is there no curve at all to those forks? might be tight clearance
    with fenders, especially with such a tiny, tiny frame.

  4. #4
    Slow and unsteady
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Agio, Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 520
    Posts
    473
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saddlesores
    especially with such a tiny, tiny frame.
    HEY, since when is a 55cm a tiny,tiny frame????

    Signed,

    Guy who rides 54.5cm bike

  5. #5
    Senior Member saddlesores's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Hainan, China
    Posts
    538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why, 55-cm IS a tiny, tiny frame - built by elves with with nasty, big, pointy
    teeth for teensy-weensy hobbit-sized folk.

    signed,

    normal-sized guy who rides 64.5 cm bike

  6. #6
    Slow and unsteady
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Agio, Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 520
    Posts
    473
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saddlesores
    normal-sized guy who rides 64.5 cm bike
    Yeah, it's the real freaks that ride 65 and above

  7. #7
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,248
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Halfspeed,
    I wouldn't kick if I get outbid. Prob will be outbid, it
    would save me explaining the situation to the Boss...
    Now that you mention it, the headtube does look steep. I hadn't noticed that before.

    Hi Saddlesores,
    I figure when you're that tall, the air is so thin little oxygen gets to the brain. But.. I don't have a good explanation for the straight legs. Since I only ride tires in the 28-32c range, I doubt it would be a problem.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saddlesores
    is it my eyes, or is there no curve at all to those forks? might be tight clearance
    with fenders, especially with such a tiny, tiny frame.
    its a straight-blade fork, the rake comes from the crown of the fork rather then a bend built in.

    and the reason the bike looks so steep is becuase of the BB drop. the bike is supported by the BB and the fork, if you'll notice, the top tube is slanted down at an angle, creating the illusion of a steep HT.

  9. #9
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,248
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a pic from the IF website of the bike..
    http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/steel...dence_p1.shtml
    It looks like a touring frame, but maybe one that is a little livelier than most.

    I was poking around and came across a notice that they are developing a lugged Ti frame. I like the sound of that, not that I
    could ever afford it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member halfspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SE Minnesota
    My Bikes
    are better than yours.
    Posts
    10,428
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatman
    its a straight-blade fork, the rake comes from the crown of the fork rather then a bend built in.

    and the reason the bike looks so steep is becuase of the BB drop. the bike is supported by the BB and the fork, if you'll notice, the top tube is slanted down at an angle, creating the illusion of a steep HT.
    I'm not sure I agree. I think it looks steep in comparison to the seat tube. Regardless of the BB drop and how it is supported, a headtube steeper than the seat tube will tend to have a longer rider position and a twitchier feel. The picture on the website looks plenty relaxed, but they customize the geometry on these so you can't go by that.

    It's something I'd ask the seller about.

  11. #11
    Older Than Dirt
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Reidsville, NC
    Posts
    376
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the manufacturer's specs, the head tube angle is 71 degrees, which is pretty much standard for that sizeframe, I believe.

    Doc
    Say Ya to da Yoop, eh!

  12. #12
    ObsessiveCompulsiveMember velowolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you've been outbid.

  13. #13
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,248
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as well,
    nice idea, not the best time of year to do it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •