I have not decided where I am going touring in the remainder of this year, but... One option I am toying with is the notion of an Alaska tour and would appreciate any input folks might have about touring there.
It seems like maybe it would make sense to fly into and out of Anchorage and I am not crazy about out and back tours, so I am thinking a loop including Denali. That isn't based on any knowledge of the area though, just a quick look at the map.
The questions that first come to mind are:
- Route suggestions?
- Road bike or mountain bike? I am mostly a road tourist these days, but wonder if I would be missing out if I limit myself to good surfaces. I do own a suitable mountain bike and have done a lot of off road riding and racing in the past, but not so much in recent years and never any loaded off road riding.
- When to go? I am sure weather and traffic both are factors here.
- How much time? Is it crazy to limit this to a relatively short tour, like 3 or possibly 4 weeks? I burned a lot of leave doing the Southern Tier in February and March, so my leave is somewhat limited.
- How remote? How frequent will restocking points be for food? Water?
- Other than airfare how expensive? My guess is that it would be mostly wild camping and therefore pretty cheap, but again that isn't based on any local knowledge.
Also feel free to answer the questions that I don't know enough to ask.