It looks like I might be doing the Colorado Rockies this Summer. These things are never etched in stone for me until I buy a ticket though I passed through there on the Trans America in 2007 and want to see a bit more of the area.
A few things I want to see while there:
- Mount Elbert - Colorado Highpoint (hike).
- Mount Evans Scenic Byway - Highest paved road in North America.
- Mosquito Pass between Leadville and Fairplay, Colorado - Highest unpaved through road in the USA. Maybe rent a mountain bike there and possbly a shuttle. Maybe just walk almost all of it.
- USA Pro Cycling Challenge - I hope to see the pro tour at some point on the trip. The stages include:
- Durango to Telluride - August 20
- Montrose to Crested Butte - August 21
- Gunnison to Aspen - August 22
- Aspen to Beaver Creek - August 23
- Breckenridge to Colorado Springs - August 24
- Golden to Boulder - August 25
- Denver (time trial) - August 26
Usually I ride most of the day every day on my tours, but I am open to more hiking and other diversions for this trip. I'd even consider some overnight backpacking.
I am likely to have 3 weeks ending right after the Pro Cycling Challenge and would like to possibly see a couple stages before flying home from Denver. So I am think that I will fly into and out of Denver.