Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Essential items for a 2K Tour through the USA

    Ok,

    I'm ordering everything I need for a 2,000 Km tour through Canada and the States.
    I'm picking the stuff up on arrival in VC,BC
    Its my first tour so I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything important!

    This is my list!

    Surly 56cm LHT
    Front/rear rack
    ortlieb waterproof panniers front and rear
    Orlieb handlebar bag
    helmet
    fenders
    lights front and rear
    kryptonite lock and cable lock
    Brooks saddle
    spare inner tube
    spare spokes
    Bike Tools? (I don't know which I will need/which are essential)
    mini pump
    1 man tent
    sleeping bag
    Sleeping bag liner
    Sleeping matt
    multi fuel stove heating thingy
    aluminium wind shield
    saucepan
    bowl
    knife/fork/spoon
    kindle

    What am I missing?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Cyclebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NE Tx
    My Bikes
    Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial
    Posts
    2,667
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cable ties, tire boot, Gorilla tape, small multi tool with needle nose pliers, peanut butter and Snicker bars. You'll be good to go.

    Oh, fly the British flag. We like limeys.
    The bicycle is one of the great inventions of mankind. Delights children, challenges young men to feats of daring, and turns old men into boys again.--Me

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclebum View Post
    Cable ties, tire boot, Gorilla tape, small multi tool with needle nose pliers, peanut butter and Snicker bars. You'll be good to go.

    Oh, fly the British flag. We like limeys.


  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclebum View Post
    Cable ties, tire boot, Gorilla tape, small multi tool with needle nose pliers, peanut butter and Snicker bars. You'll be good to go.

    Oh, fly the British flag. We like limeys.
    Whats a Tire Boot?

  5. #5
    sniffin' glue zoltani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road
    Posts
    3,183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You plan to buy all of this in canada once you arrive? While that is certainly doable, I am not sure I would be comfortable leaving for a 2000km tour with gear that is unfamiliar.
    Those who are easily shocked should be shocked more often.

  6. #6
    sniffin' glue zoltani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road
    Posts
    3,183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordyb View Post
    Whats a Tire Boot?
    It is for placing inside of a tire (tyre) that has a cut in the sidewall so that the tube does not bulge out of the cut. It's usually a small plastic card that comes in some park tools patch kits. Some people use a dollar or other random things.
    Those who are easily shocked should be shocked more often.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    12,421
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2x spare inner tubes.
    traditional patch kit.
    mug

  8. #8
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Posts
    25,910
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordyb View Post
    Whats a Tire Boot?
    http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-3...-boot-kit.aspx
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  9. #9
    Senior Member Cyclebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NE Tx
    My Bikes
    Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial
    Posts
    2,667
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The odds of a blow out are tiny. But so is the tire boot. Peace of mind. The Gorilla tape would probably do the job. We used both on one tire once. Tape to reinforce the boot. The guy rode that tire for 3 days.
    The bicycle is one of the great inventions of mankind. Delights children, challenges young men to feats of daring, and turns old men into boys again.--Me

  10. #10
    <riding now> BigAura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chapin, SC
    My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Posts
    1,482
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
    2x spare inner tubes.
    traditional patch kit.
    One tube is fine as long as you have a patch kit. Total blow outs of two tubes is extremely unlikely, when running touring tires. If one blows you buy another when you pass a shop.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,306
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordyb View Post
    Ok,

    I'm ordering everything I need for a 2,000 Km tour through Canada and the States.
    I'm picking the stuff up on arrival in VC,BC
    Its my first tour so I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything important!

    This is my list!

    Surly 56cm LHT
    Front/rear rack
    ortlieb waterproof panniers front and rear
    Orlieb handlebar bag
    helmet
    fenders
    lights front and rear
    kryptonite lock and cable lock
    Brooks saddle
    spare inner tube
    spare spokes
    Bike Tools? (I don't know which I will need/which are essential)
    mini pump
    1 man tent
    sleeping bag
    Sleeping bag liner
    Sleeping matt
    multi fuel stove heating thingy
    aluminium wind shield
    saucepan
    bowl
    knife/fork/spoon
    kindle

    What am I missing?

    Beer

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    "Alberta" but in Japan
    My Bikes
    Surly Troll.
    Posts
    366
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Beer
    Actually what you meant to say was.... okay yeah beer. And cash to buy more beer

    Looks like you'll be making a trip to MEC before your tour starts. Best outdoors stores I've ever been too for high quality gear. Affordable too.....

    EDIT: Don't forget to drink our whiskey too.

  13. #13
    Garlic
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Golden, CO
    My Bikes
    1996 REI Randonee
    Posts
    589
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few things on your list I would not call essential. I just managed a 7000+ km tour without a Kindle, for instance, nor did I carry front panniers or handlebar bag, stove or cook kit.

    I would add some spare clothing suitable for your climate and elevations--hat and gloves and raingear, for instance. Carry containers for extra water, maybe water purification if you anticipate that kind of terrain and camping. I carry some toilet paper, a small first aid kit, a toothbrush etc, something to hang food with in bear country, sunscreen and bug repellent. If you carry spare spokes, you'll need a spoke wrench. A chain tool comes in handy, as does a cassette tool. A bicycle multitool and tire levers should round out the basic tool kit.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If at all possible, I would buy and break in the Brooks saddle at home before leaving on the tour. A Kryptonite lock should not be necessary if you are staying out of the inner cities (bike thieves know how to break them in a few seconds, anyway) and are heavy.

    Cable ties are nylon zip-ties, right? Those are very handy. Also a vote for 50 feet of nylon line and the first aid kit. And ibruprofen or aspirin tablets. And a few large plastic garbage bags, and maybe a dozen of those gallon-sized slide-lock plastic food storage bags.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you riding now?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    IF SCJ SE, Surly LHT, BikeFriday NWT, Cannondale M300, Raleigh 700
    Posts
    4,388
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mosquito repellent.
    Corkscrew
    Flashlight/headlamp, unless you can use your bike light

    What are you going to prepare (e.g., cut, slice) food on and with? A Lexan plate can double as a cutting board.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,559
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look should do it, you really can't leave a loaded bike locked anywhere where there are sticky fingers anyway, so that cuts down on theft.

    MEC now sells a good range of tools, so you can probably get what you need there. What you need for your bike are: Road morph pump, or similar mini floor pump, patches, quick stick. Then you need every tool that fits any part of your bike that you are able to fix. Multi tools are pointless if the half the weight and cost is for someone else's bike. On a few of the bigger things like BB tools, you are not going to want to carry that stuff, and just hope all is well when you set out. For that kind of trip you need the bike to be overhauled by someone who knows touring or other heavy use activities. Everything needs to be tightened for real, and the wheels need to be hand finished.

  18. #18
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a few things I would add:

    tire levers
    chain master links (SRAM)
    spare nuts/bolts
    cell phone + charger
    pad/pen
    maps

  19. #19
    <riding now> BigAura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chapin, SC
    My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Posts
    1,482
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MassiveD View Post
    Multi tools are pointless if the half the weight and cost is for someone else's bike.
    I agree with this concept but real world alternatives are not easy. On one tour I did remove unused components from my multi-tool and saved 1.5 ounces reducing it to 4.5 ounces. I tried to put together an individual toolkit which ended up weighing even more. I probably could have purchased some ultra-light individual items and further reduced it, but decided to go with the convenience of the multi-tool.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm echoing most of what andrewclaus said, but a little reinforcement can't hurt right?

    I would definitely bring a water filter, steripen, or at the very least purification tabs. Tap water is safe to drink but there can be long stretches between towns and you don't want to just dip in to the river (giardia risk).

    Also, bear spray and rope/carabiners to hang your food are pretty essential. Most campgrounds don't have bear lockers because they assume people have vehicles! Nothing ruins your trip more than having a bear eat all your food (I've had it happen). Also, squirrels, raccoons, and crows can do the same thing. Harder to keep it away from them though

    Toilet paper is a very essential and frequently overlooked item. Ditto for any medication you might want. We're a civilized nation, but sometimes towns get sparse.

    Where exactly are you planning to go? If you're going anywhere near the mountains (which is kind of unavoidable starting in Vancouver!), you'll probably want a warmer sleeping bag than you might think. I would go with at least a -7 rated mummy bag. This time of year it's already starting to dip down near freezing in the Rockies.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
    What are you riding now?
    I don't have a bike! I'm diving in at the deep end

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charbucks View Post
    I'm echoing most of what andrewclaus said, but a little reinforcement can't hurt right?

    I would definitely bring a water filter, steripen, or at the very least purification tabs. Tap water is safe to drink but there can be long stretches between towns and you don't want to just dip in to the river (giardia risk).

    Also, bear spray and rope/carabiners to hang your food are pretty essential. Most campgrounds don't have bear lockers because they assume people have vehicles! Nothing ruins your trip more than having a bear eat all your food (I've had it happen). Also, squirrels, raccoons, and crows can do the same thing. Harder to keep it away from them though

    Toilet paper is a very essential and frequently overlooked item. Ditto for any medication you might want. We're a civilized nation, but sometimes towns get sparse.

    Where exactly are you planning to go? If you're going anywhere near the mountains (which is kind of unavoidable starting in Vancouver!), you'll probably want a warmer sleeping bag than you might think. I would go with at least a -7 rated mummy bag. This time of year it's already starting to dip down near freezing in the Rockies.
    I'm going to depart Vancouver in May and head south along the pacific Coast. Unfortunately not going to see a huge amount of Canada. How far down am I going to have to consider bears for?

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for all the ideas

  24. #24
    sniffin' glue zoltani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road
    Posts
    3,183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In many places along the coast you really need to worry about racoons, not bears.
    Those who are easily shocked should be shocked more often.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoltani View Post
    In many places along the coast you really need to worry about racoons, not bears.
    Ah, along the coast. In that case, you need to count on it raining, but not necessarily freezing.

    I don't know much about bears along the coast, but racoons are jerks. At least they can't maul you (I don't think...).

    What do people do about protecting food from racoons? The last time I was camping on the coast without a car, we didn't even think of it. It was fine, but I suppose we could have just gotten lucky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •