[outgrowth of the "have 4k" post]
My beloved LHT is no more, but I used it on two previous month+ tours. I did worry about the occasional "death wobble" on descents. However, I'm lighter now, and will probably use a Bob, so this should be less of an issue.
Goals are basically to have a backup/alternate to my thorn for touring. I need:
- big gearing range, as I'm a big dude and will be tackling Cascades next year, possibly on this bike.
- disc brakes and friction shifters, as I've always found rim brakes and indexed derailleurs too finicky.
So the following is a first cut at an LHT disc trucker build. For a few things, I'm not sure what to get, including the brake levers (short-pull, separate from shifters), derailleurs (need to deal with mountain triple in front, and huge (36t) cog in rear). Will the Silver shifters work w/ all thuff?
- disc trucker frame, 60cm $409.00 modernbike
- road avid bb7 x2 $142.00 amazon ASSUMING ROAD BRAKES WORK
- brake levers, short-pull for road bb7, WHICH?
- SOS levers x2 $107.00 rivendell (friction, bar mount)
- shimano HG61, 9spd, 12-36 cassette $50.00 rivendell
- deore XT 44-32-22, chainrings, $0.00 reuse
- SRAM PC-890 chain $28.00 amazon
- derailleurs, WHICH?
- wheelset $750.00 peter white, white industries disc, 40-spoke
- 2 new tires, schwalbe supreme 700x35 x2 $150.00
- Nitto Noodle, 48cm $83.00
- handlebar tape, leather $70.00 velo-orange
- thompson seatpost $0.00 reuse
- saddle B17 $0.00 reuse
- pleischer kickstand $0.00 reuse
- assorted cables $100.00
- stem WHICH?