Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Kittery Maine / NC
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Touring on a MTB Sore hands

    Hey all,

    I have a Scott ridgid frame that I tour on a bit. My goal is to tour a lot of the coast of Maine. I need help on changing or adding to my bar setup. I have bar ends on it now which allows me 2 positions for my hands, but they still get sore. Any ideas of what to add, IE: areo bars, or another set up that allows for more hand positions? It is an older model with grip shifters.

    Thanks, John
    1987 Schwinn Circuit
    1995 Scott Mohaka
    2008 Specialized Globe " old farts bike"

    Too Much Of Everything Is Just Enough
    Jerry Garcia

  2. #2
    Senior Member Chris Pringle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pearl of the Pacific, Mexico
    My Bikes
    '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '06 Specialized Epic Marathon MTB
    Posts
    1,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a MTB set-up, try Ergon grips. Use the GP1 version for gripshifts. Read instructions carefully how to set them up so as to avoid kinks your wrists. In other words, wrist and forearm need to completely align when you ride.

    ...and don't forget to try a different pair of gloves.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Philly, PA
    Posts
    595
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Ergon grips are the way to go. Sure they take a bit of tweaking until you get them in exactly the right position, but they're amazing. I don't like riding with gloves on them; the grips themselves are perfect.

    A bunch of people are going to tell you (here and elsewhere) that switching to drop bars is the solution and drop bars are the only way to go, but that's not true. Try the Ergon grips first.

  4. #4
    Kittery Maine / NC
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    Yeah, Ergon grips are the way to go. Sure they take a bit of tweaking until you get them in exactly the right position, but they're amazing. I don't like riding with gloves on them; the grips themselves are perfect.

    A bunch of people are going to tell you (here and elsewhere) that switching to drop bars is the solution and drop bars are the only way to go, but that's not true. Try the Ergon grips first.
    So they work with my current grip shifters? They are just the ends? I think I have them on my spec. Globe. What about adding to or some other kind of bars? Not drops. Must be something out there. Thanks
    1987 Schwinn Circuit
    1995 Scott Mohaka
    2008 Specialized Globe " old farts bike"

    Too Much Of Everything Is Just Enough
    Jerry Garcia

  5. #5
    Senior Member clarkbre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Everett, WA
    My Bikes
    1995 Giant Innova, 2012 Surly Pacer
    Posts
    279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before going and spending $40 on new grips, you might look into why your hands are getting sore in multiple positions. If you have bar ends and your hands are still sore and/or your arms/shoulders are feeling exhausted, your handlebars may be too low. It sounds like you're putting too much weight on your hands.

    What is the height of your handlebars compared to your seat?

    I recently got on my old MTB and remembered that it always left my arms, shoulders, and especially my hands feeling terrible. I adjusted the bars up 1 1/8" and all that riding pain went away. It allowed me to take weight off my hands and put it on my butt. And, my seat that always never "fit" right felt much better.

    A quick adjustment is worth a try.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Philly, PA
    Posts
    595
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
    Before going and spending $40 on new grips, you might look into why your hands are getting sore in multiple positions. If you have bar ends and your hands are still sore and/or your arms/shoulders are feeling exhausted, your handlebars may be too low. It sounds like you're putting too much weight on your hands.
    This is also true. In my case though, proper fit improved things, but Ergon grips took care of the remaining problems (hand numbness).

    They should work with grip shifts, although you might have to saw off part of them...I think the website has more info.

  7. #7
    Kittery Maine / NC
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    This is also true. In my case though, proper fit improved things, but Ergon grips took care of the remaining problems (hand numbness).

    They should work with grip shifts, although you might have to saw off part of them...I think the website has more info.
    Thanks all. I will lift the bars a bit. They do look a little low. And will try the grips. Easy steps and not expensive. I like the Jones bars posted on another thread.
    1987 Schwinn Circuit
    1995 Scott Mohaka
    2008 Specialized Globe " old farts bike"

    Too Much Of Everything Is Just Enough
    Jerry Garcia

  8. #8
    Got Scotch? goalieMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Minnetonka, MN
    My Bikes
    QR Kilo, Specialized Crossroads
    Posts
    277
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I threw some cheap Nashbar trekking bars on my SS mtb commuter. It raised my bars up a little, and decreased the reach just a little. I am much more comfortable now than I was previously. For 24 bucks for bars and tape, it's worth a try.
    "It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it."

  9. #9
    Kittery Maine / NC
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goalieMN View Post
    I threw some cheap Nashbar trekking bars on my SS mtb commuter. It raised my bars up a little, and decreased the reach just a little. I am much more comfortable now than I was previously. For 24 bucks for bars and tape, it's worth a try.
    I like the look of them. What kind of shifters do you have on them? Not sure if my grip shifts will work on them. Still they are cheap enough to give it a try.
    1987 Schwinn Circuit
    1995 Scott Mohaka
    2008 Specialized Globe " old farts bike"

    Too Much Of Everything Is Just Enough
    Jerry Garcia

  10. #10
    Got Scotch? goalieMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Minnetonka, MN
    My Bikes
    QR Kilo, Specialized Crossroads
    Posts
    277
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerjohn View Post
    I like the look of them. What kind of shifters do you have on them? Not sure if my grip shifts will work on them. Still they are cheap enough to give it a try.
    I have them on a MTB I converted to a SS for winter commuting and bad weather commuting, so I don't know about the grip shifters. That said, they are standard MTB sized handlebars before taping, so I don't know why they wouldn't work.
    "It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it."

  11. #11
    Kittery Maine / NC
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goalieMN View Post
    I have them on a MTB I converted to a SS for winter commuting and bad weather commuting, so I don't know about the grip shifters. That said, they are standard MTB sized handlebars before taping, so I don't know why they wouldn't work.
    Thanks. According to nashbar they will work on the ends of the straight part on the inside. Too cheap to not try.
    1987 Schwinn Circuit
    1995 Scott Mohaka
    2008 Specialized Globe " old farts bike"

    Too Much Of Everything Is Just Enough
    Jerry Garcia

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gloucester MA
    Posts
    216
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grip shifts should work on the butterfly/trekking bars no problem. They can be very comfortable. I would also do a search for antler bars to give you an idea of other DIY setups for different hand positions, though I'm not sure if it would be idea with grip shifters.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •