Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-12, 11:22 PM   #1
dave_VD
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A Bicycle-powered documentary project: Touring North America

Hey guys,

I'm off to cycle across America and make a film about the journey and the people along the way.

Just launched the website, would be great if you wanted to have a gander!

http://www.vaguedirection.com

dave_VD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-12, 12:56 AM   #2
chrisch
Senior Member
 
chrisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Rotkreuz, Switzerland
Bikes: Trek 520, Gary Fisher Big Sur
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have fun and good luck! I'll be following along.
chrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-12, 08:09 AM   #3
huie
Senior Member
 
huie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Bikes: Trek 520
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You must have experience with film. You did a great job shooting that.
huie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-12, 08:45 AM   #4
dave_VD
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks guys!
dave_VD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 11:39 AM   #5
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 5,757
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Dave (who hopefully doesnt have venereal disease ;-) (over here in North America, vd is generally associated with that, just so you know, kinda like us talking about wearing fanny packs....some terms have diff meanings.)

all the best with your project.

Depending on what sort of weight you will be carrying, you may want to get some informed opinions on your wheels and how well they will handle loaded touring, going from the spoke count I saw on your front in the vid, it may very well take away some grief down the road.
They look like the spoke pattern that some Giant bikes had on their light hybrid models.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 11:48 AM   #6
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Posts: 29,644
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
Dave (who hopefully doesnt have venereal disease ;-) (over here in North America, vd is generally associated with that, just so you know, kinda like us talking about wearing fanny packs....some terms have diff meanings.)

all the best with your project.

Depending on what sort of weight you will be carrying, you may want to get some informed opinions on your wheels and how well they will handle loaded touring, going from the spoke count I saw on your front in the vid, it may very well take away some grief down the road.
They look like the spoke pattern that some Giant bikes had on their light hybrid models.
24 spokes?

__________________
[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 12:43 PM   #7
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 5,757
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Dave, just looked at your project website and see that you will be using a 36 spoke rear wheel, thats good. I'd consider finding an inexpensive 36er for the front as well, just one thing to not have to deal with on a trip if you are indeed using the 24 spoker shown in the vid.
Do realize these suggestions arent just to be contradictory, but come from experience. Here in Canada, one can find a reasonably priced 36 spoke wheel for maybe $100 or something, and once you take into account busting spokes, having a wheel go out of true, some repair costs etc, time lost...using a low spoke wheel for a fully loaded trip does not seem prudent (you will be carrying a dslr camera, perhaps extra lenses, laptop, maybe a tripod--all extra stuff I never carried when touring--so you may have at least 10lbs more than a non doc making trip)

cheers
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 04:29 PM   #8
dave_VD
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ah thanks guys. Yeah the rear wheel in the video has been swapped out for a much stronger and more suitable 36hole setup. I probably will end up swapping out the front too, as it's a bit crap. Thanks for your advice!

And the VD thing, yeah it quickly became apparent that this is a dodgy name! Oops, it will be referred to as the Vague Direction project everywhere except the username!
dave_VD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 10:13 PM   #9
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 5,757
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
as per the dodgy name, I know, I just couldnt help taking the piss outta ya.
again, all the best getting your trip together, cheers
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-12, 03:41 PM   #10
alexaschwanden
Bike rider
 
alexaschwanden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: san jose
Bikes: 2015 Raleigh Revenio 1.0
Posts: 3,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
That looks like a lot of fun.
alexaschwanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 06:26 AM   #11
dave_VD
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexaschwanden View Post
That looks like a lot of fun.
Cheers guys, all starts in 2 days now! Have a look at the website where I'll be blogging about it all with video and photo updates too. www.vaguedirection.com

Looks like the weather will be terrible for the first week or so. Just part of the adventure right?!
dave_VD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 06:28 AM   #12
dave_VD
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
Dave, just looked at your project website and see that you will be using a 36 spoke rear wheel, thats good. I'd consider finding an inexpensive 36er for the front as well, just one thing to not have to deal with on a trip if you are indeed using the 24 spoker shown in the vid.
Do realize these suggestions arent just to be contradictory, but come from experience. Here in Canada, one can find a reasonably priced 36 spoke wheel for maybe $100 or something, and once you take into account busting spokes, having a wheel go out of true, some repair costs etc, time lost...using a low spoke wheel for a fully loaded trip does not seem prudent (you will be carrying a dslr camera, perhaps extra lenses, laptop, maybe a tripod--all extra stuff I never carried when touring--so you may have at least 10lbs more than a non doc making trip)

cheers
Still need to update the photo, but finally got 36h salsa delgado rims f+r, so hopefully should be a bit stronger now!

Just put a kitlist on the blog: http://www.vaguedirection.com/gearhe...t-a-bike-spec/
dave_VD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 07:55 AM   #13
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 5,757
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_VD View Post
Cheers guys, all starts in 2 days now! Have a look at the website where I'll be blogging about it all with video and photo updates too. www.vaguedirection.com

Looks like the weather will be terrible for the first week or so. Just part of the adventure right?!
Damn good thing you didn't start in NYC a week ago! I'm sure you will be seeing lots of damage and cleanup as you make your way down the coast.
Cheers
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:45 AM.