Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with dent in Cannondale T800

Hi. I'm not exactly sure if this should go here, but I'll try. I've been wanting to get into touring, and I recently found the perfect bike. It's a 2000 Cannondale T800. It's almost NOS. I got it from a reputable shop used. They said an elderly person traded it in for a cruiser. I digress. Anyway, as I was testing it, I noticed i small dent in the downtube. The guys at the shop didn't think anything of it. They said it was fine. The more I've been researching, the more weary I get. Here are some pictures.

If anyone thinks it would be dangerous to ride, please let me know. I have a tour planned, and it would be terrible to have a broken frame in the middle of nowhere. At this point, I can return it to the shop. Thanks so much.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live with it..
    If you strip the paint .. if it cracks, you can see it sooner.
    thats about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    17 years ago, an airline put a big gash in my mountain bike downtube at the beginning of a trip in South America. The bike continues to ride just fine today.

My Bikes
    '02 Raleigh C40, '10 Fuji Touring, and a refurbished '82 (I think) Motobecane Grand Touring
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't give that dent any more thought. It's a nice looking bike, I say, let it ride like it is.

I could be wrong, but I can't imagine that that dent would cause the metal to fail, the paint or decal doesn't even looked scratched .
    Last edited by DW99; 11-02-12 at 05:11 PM.
    "My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion.
    He said okay, you're ugly too." -Rodney Dangerfield

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    davidmikesell, The bike shop and the previous posters are correct. If I had a dent like yours in any of my Cannondales, I wouldn't worry about it. It lacks any sharp crease and is at the middle section of the downtube where there is very little stress.

Brad

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a similar dent (about 2 inches lower on the cross tube) in my Cannondale road bike due to a fall of the workstand. I agree with the others. It is not a big deal as long as the dent is "smooth" with no creases.

The Tubing on my wife's T 800 seems thicker and larger diameter than my road bike. If this is the case I definitely would not worry about it.
    Last edited by Doug64; 11-02-12 at 11:34 PM.

My Bikes
    1995 Giant Innova, 2012 Surly Pacer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, the dent makes the bike look a bit tougher than the rest. Ride it for sure! Overall, it's a really good looking bike.
    1995 Giant Innova
    2012 Surly Pacer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody. I never thought it was too dangerous, but I just wanted to be sure. See you on the road!