Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,311
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    grand bios tires

    Folks anyone using the grandbios Compass tires for everyday use and touring.
    i intend getting them after christmas but love to know your thoughts on them before i buy
    thanks.

    antokelly.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    455
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antokelly View Post
    Folks anyone using the grandbios Compass tires for everyday use and touring.
    i intend getting them after christmas but love to know your thoughts on them before i buy
    thanks.

    antokelly.
    I used a set for about 6 months and averaged about a flat per week on my daily commute until I wised up and replaced them with some Schwalbes. The tires I used ( I can't remember which model) were very light and supple. I felt like I was riding on clouds. But with no puncture protection, it wasn't worth it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,311
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niknak View Post
    I used a set for about 6 months and averaged about a flat per week on my daily commute until I wised up and replaced them with some Schwalbes. The tires I used ( I can't remember which model) were very light and supple. I felt like I was riding on clouds. But with no puncture protection, it wasn't worth it.
    Ah thanks for that niknak to good to be true so, just thought i found the perfect tire.
    i ride schwalble supreams myself excellent tire but the side walls are not that great on them found that out to my cost but still rate them as the best tire in the schwalble range .(probably get shot for saying that
    )

  4. #4
    "part timer" SuperLJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tidewater VA
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, the best compromise between durability and cushiness is the Pasela Tour Guard. Halfway between the Schwalbes and Grand Bois in that regard. They're essentially Grand Bois with a kevlar belt. Good value for your money too...
    '75 Raleigh GS * '78 Bertin C-35 * '82 Trek 614 * '95 Mercian * '98 Fisher HKEK * Y2K Rivendell * '02 Heron Tour

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    My Bikes
    Hollands Touring Bike, Schwinn mountain bike, folding bike, tandem and triple
    Posts
    545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some of the Gran Bois in 700x28c and 700x30c. They are certainly more delicate than some of the other tires available, but they are nice and fast. I had a flat the first time I rode them. I put them away for 6 or 8 mo. And since I have been riding them I haven’t had any more flats. I think they hardened up a bit with age. For comfort, I wimp out and favor Vittoria Randonneur Hyper 700x37c, but they also come in 32 and 35c for those who want something smaller. Recently I have been using Conti Gatorskins in 700x28c and 700x32c for a faster tire that still has puncture protection.

    At my weight, I wouldn't think of using the Gran Bois for touring, any more than I would tour on sewups. They are too small in cross section and too delicate for me.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,311
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks lads i'll stick with the supreams so.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,211
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I held a 650b.tire once, felt like a big fat Clement sew up

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    My Bikes
    Hollands Touring Bike, Schwinn mountain bike, folding bike, tandem and triple
    Posts
    545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    I held a 650b.tire once, felt like a big fat Clement sew up
    They are essentially a sewup with a wire bead. Nice and fast, but a bit delicate.

  9. #9
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    38,842
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Light supple and such are a choice for the endurance Brevet riders ,
    like those going, fast as they are able, Paris to Brest and Back to Paris.

    for Touring I opt for puncture resistance and slow down and enjoy the scenery.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,311
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    Light supple and such are a choice for the endurance Brevet riders ,
    like those going, fast as they are able, Paris to Brest and Back to Paris.

    for Touring I opt for puncture resistance and slow down and enjoy the scenery.
    oh i'm not a fast rider believe me i do like to smell the roses when i'm touring and cycling in general.

    but if i can find tires that make cycling that bit easier then i'm going to buy ,according to the grand bios site there the best thing since sliced bread who are you to believe

  11. #11
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    38,842
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah Reality as interpreted by Advertising..
    Ireland make Advertizing a Tax deduction ? so the company gets another cost shift to the
    Lumpen Prolo taxpayer.

    That is Normal in the USA
    Last edited by fietsbob; 11-22-12 at 12:02 PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    My Bikes
    Hollands Touring Bike, Schwinn mountain bike, folding bike, tandem and triple
    Posts
    545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antokelly View Post
    oh i'm not a fast rider believe me i do like to smell the roses when i'm touring and cycling in general.

    but if i can find tires that make cycling that bit easier then i'm going to buy ,according to the grand bios site there the best thing since sliced bread who are you to believe
    If you plan to tour with a load and use these tires, I hope you are quite a bit lighter than me. At my weight they are fine for unloaded, fast rides, but I feel they are too delicate for loaded touring, but you may differ.

  13. #13
    Senior Member tarwheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Gunnar Crosshairs, De Bernardi SL
    Posts
    6,092
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vittoria Randonneur Hypers are fantastic tires -- fast rolling, durable, folding, flat resistant, reasonably light weight and have reflective sidewalls. Available in a range of widths. I have 700 x 32s on my touring bike and they ride really nice, way better than Pasela TGs IMHO.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,311
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tarwheel do you find it hard to mount those tires ,i had a set of slicks one time and found it very hard to get them on the rim.mind you the supreams are hard to beat they say (schwalble ) there great for all terraine but dont think i would fancy going off road with them defo a road tire.

  15. #15
    Junior Member watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    My Bikes
    Dawes Galaxy ,Trek Madone .
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I Gree 100%

    Quote Originally Posted by antokelly View Post
    tarwheel do you find it hard to mount those tires ,i had a set of slicks one time and found it very hard to get them on the rim.mind you the supreams are hard to beat they say (schwalble ) there great for all terraine but dont think i would fancy going off road with them defo a road tire.
    I agree with you Anto , they are very difficult to mount on the rims .

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,311
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    I agree with you Anto , they are very difficult to mount on the rims .

    welcome watson you will enjoy this place all the info you will need to make your big tour next year that bit easier .(btw in bed all week with flu.)

  17. #17
    Senior Member rockpilex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Whitefish, MT
    My Bikes
    TREK 520, CANNONDALE R800 FIXED, 1954 SCHWINN TIGER, 1963 SPACELINER
    Posts
    86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about Resist Nomads 700x35 I think they also make a 28-they're supple

  18. #18
    Senior Member Commodus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Burnaby, BC
    Posts
    4,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wore out a Grand Bois Hetre this season. I had two flats. No more than I have with any other tire.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,311
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    was that on your road bike or touring bike.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Commodus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Burnaby, BC
    Posts
    4,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm...well it's a randonneuring bike. You could tour on it. You could do group rides, but not race.

    I'm not sure how it matters...I know lots of heavy guys on 23s, they don't get any more flats due to the tire's contstruction than anybody else. More pinch flats of course, but that's an issue of volume. There's nothing special about 'touring' as it relates to tires, so far as I can see.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,311
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well if i were to use them on my loaded touring bike they would be carrying a lot of weight but then again there are the touring tire of grandbios so should be well capable .
    they reckon there as good as tubs which i rode for years, but the tubs are not great either for puncture protection .but i'm a firm beliver than punctures are down to just bad luck get one and you end up getting a dozen for no apparent reason.

  22. #22
    Junior Member Firetngguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Longview, Tx
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Gunnar Sport
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antokelly View Post
    Folks anyone using the grandbios Compass tires for everyday use and touring.
    i intend getting them after christmas but love to know your thoughts on them before i buy
    thanks.

    antokelly.
    I use them for both, road and touring. I weigh 160 and my loaded touring bike weighs 75 lbs.

    For my road bike I use the 700x32 (Cypres). My touring bike has the 559x44 (26x1.75")

    I've been averaging about 1 flat per 500 miles. Are they worth it? That depends on your riding style, road conditions, and your tolerance to the occasional flat. For me the slight decrease in rolling resistance is, for now, worth the trade off.

    A lot of good advice has been given above. Tires, like everything else, are a personal choice.
    2009 Surly LHT
    2011 Gunnar Sport

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,311
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firetngguy View Post
    I use them for both, road and touring. I weigh 160 and my loaded touring bike weighs 75 lbs.

    For my road bike I use the 700x32 (Cypres). My touring bike has the 559x44 (26x1.75")

    I've been averaging about 1 flat per 500 miles. Are they worth it? That depends on your riding style, road conditions, and your tolerance to the occasional flat. For me the slight decrease in rolling resistance is, for now, worth the trade off.

    A lot of good advice has been given above. Tires, like everything else, are a personal choice.
    1 flat per 500 miles is good going i'm thinking. my riding style is no different than anyone else's i reckon most of the time on tarmac seldom off road average speed loaded touring 12mph.
    so giving that would you say there better than any of the other tires you have used.i would settle for a flat every 500 miles

  24. #24
    Senior Member tarwheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Gunnar Crosshairs, De Bernardi SL
    Posts
    6,092
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antokelly View Post
    tarwheel do you find it hard to mount those tires?
    I found the Vittoria Rando Hypers very easy to mount. I always use tire tools, if that makes a difference. In contrast, Continental Gatorskins were the hardest tire to mount that I have ever used, even with tire tools. I ultimately had to get my bike shop to mount them, which I had never done before. Maybe I just got a set with an extra thick bead.

  25. #25
    ghost on a machine Bike Hermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    My Bikes
    Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen, Serotta Colorado Legend TG, Rivendell Roadeo, Surly Cross Check, Surly Big Dummy
    Posts
    174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife uses the Grand Bois Hetres in 650b on her Bleriot. Very prone to flatting until I put some SpinSkins liners in. No flats since and she still loves the way they ride.
    Bike Touring News
    Empowering The Bicycle Traveler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •