Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-12, 03:05 PM   #1
raybo
Bike touring webrarian
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.
Posts: 1,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Things to know about New Zealand

My wife and I recently returned from a 4 week (non-biking) trip to New Zealand. We spent 1 week on the North Island and 3 weeks in the South. It is unbelievably pretty with so many varied things to see is such a small place. I highly recommend a trip there, either on or off a bike.

I've written an article about some things that people looking to tour there might like to know in advance. There are 14 observations broken into two sections: Highways and General Bicycle Touring.

Here are all 14:

Cars in New Zealand have the right of way.
There are no shoulders on New Zealand highways.
New Zealand has only 2 lane roads
Drunk driving seems to be a serious problem in New Zealand
There are very few stops signs in New Zealand
There are many one-lane bridges in New Zealand

New Zealand was expensive
Subway sandwich shops in most larger towns
There are long distances between places of resupply in New Zealand's South Island
Organic food is not readily available in New Zealand
Bicycle shops seemed plentiful
Public rest rooms in New Zealand are widely available and clean
The wind can be very strong in New Zealand
The roads in New Zealand can be very steep
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-12, 03:47 PM   #2
niknak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with most of your observations. Drivers don't give much space when overtaking you and they're very aggressive, which is weird because when they're out of their vehicles the Kiwis we met were amazingly friendly and down to earth. I got honked at twice and yelled at once while walking in crosswalks. The car definitely rules in NZ.
niknak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-12, 05:35 PM   #3
009jim
Senior Member
 
009jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100
Posts: 1,288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to add one item.

Trucks and semis drive dangerously fast on narrow roads with no shoulder and a not prepared to slow down if they encounter another vehicle. Keep one eye in the rear-view mirror.
009jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 11:14 AM   #4
ScruffyChimp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cambridge, UK
Bikes: Fuji Sunfire, and a hi-ten piece of junk
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope you enjoyed it overall. I'm a displaced Kiwi and I have a couple of quick thoughts on cycle touring in NZ:

The thing I always tell visitors, before I get to any travel tips, is to be very careful with the sun. Because the ozone layer is thin there, at the peak of summer you can get sunburnt extremely quickly. In January and February, always wear a sunhat and regularly apply high SPF sunscreen. It is not the same as Europe or North America.

The expense of travelling in NZ is variable. Because it's a small nation, the currency fluctuates a lot. The Kiwi dollar and the US dollar are nearly at parity at the moment, whereas a few years ago you could get NZ$2 for each US dollar. That would make a big difference to how you perceive the cost. Having said that, some things aimed at tourists are a gouge, like the hot pools at Rotorua.

I would advise people to stay off the bikes from Xmas to about 10 January. The whole country goes on Summer holidays, and the traffic is horrific.

NZ is currently building a national cycle route (http://www.nzcycletrail.com/). We aren't good at following through on infrastructure projects like this, but if it is completed, it should improve cycle touring safety immeasurably.

Cheers,
James
ScruffyChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 11:53 AM   #5
raybo
Bike touring webrarian
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.
Posts: 1,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruffyChimp View Post
I hope you enjoyed it overall. I'm a displaced Kiwi and I have a couple of quick thoughts on cycle touring in NZ:

The thing I always tell visitors, before I get to any travel tips, is to be very careful with the sun. Because the ozone layer is thin there, at the peak of summer you can get sunburnt extremely quickly. In January and February, always wear a sunhat and regularly apply high SPF sunscreen. It is not the same as Europe or North America.

The expense of travelling in NZ is variable. Because it's a small nation, the currency fluctuates a lot. The Kiwi dollar and the US dollar are nearly at parity at the moment, whereas a few years ago you could get NZ$2 for each US dollar. That would make a big difference to how you perceive the cost. Having said that, some things aimed at tourists are a gouge, like the hot pools at Rotorua.

I would advise people to stay off the bikes from Xmas to about 10 January. The whole country goes on Summer holidays, and the traffic is horrific.

NZ is currently building a national cycle route (http://www.nzcycletrail.com/). We aren't good at following through on infrastructure projects like this, but if it is completed, it should improve cycle touring safety immeasurably.

Cheers,
James
Thanks for adding your insights.

I very much enjoyed my time in New Zealand and hope to go there again and ride a bike around.

We actually saw a piece of the NZ Cycle Trail being built near Rotarua on the North Island. It was off to the side of the main highway. It looked like a dirt/crushed gravel trail that would likely require wider tires.

We did a ride on the Otago Rail Trail, which is part of the Cycle Trail. The tires used on the rental bike were 2 inches wide and the trail was mostly small rocks on dirt. It added greatly to the cycling effort and created a fair amount of "tire noise." We enjoyed riding the trail (first time on a tandem!) but grew tired of the condition of the track. Eventually, toward the end, dirt had been laid down over the rocks and the trail became much more pleasant to ride. I do have to say that riding on a rock strewn dirt track for hundreds of miles would probably force me back on a low traffic, no shoulder highway.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 02:15 PM   #6
Steve0000
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Zealand
Bikes: LHT disc, Cannondale CAAD8, Cannondale Super 6, Avanti Agressor MTB
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo View Post
Thanks for adding your insights.

I very much enjoyed my time in New Zealand and hope to go there again and ride a bike around.

We actually saw a piece of the NZ Cycle Trail being built near Rotarua on the North Island. It was off to the side of the main highway. It looked like a dirt/crushed gravel trail that would likely require wider tires.

We did a ride on the Otago Rail Trail, which is part of the Cycle Trail. The tires used on the rental bike were 2 inches wide and the trail was mostly small rocks on dirt. It added greatly to the cycling effort and created a fair amount of "tire noise." We enjoyed riding the trail (first time on a tandem!) but grew tired of the condition of the track. Eventually, toward the end, dirt had been laid down over the rocks and the trail became much more pleasant to ride. I do have to say that riding on a rock strewn dirt track for hundreds of miles would probably force me back on a low traffic, no shoulder highway.
I have info on NZ cycle touring at https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...c_id=5873&v=3o

which covers most of what has been discussed. The cycle trails are not suitable for the average tourer as mentioned above. Traffic is OK at all times of the year provided you plan your route on quieter roads rather than the main highways. I have mostly toured around Xmas and New Year with few problems. I get annoyed with cycle tourists who complain about the heavy traffic when they insist on cycling on SH1 and SH2. Get a decent map and find better and more scenic routes.
Steve0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-12, 09:49 AM   #7
Velo View
Velo View
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all the information! We've been looking at potential overseas tours to complement our domestic bike vacations, and New Zealand is high on our list.

Thanks again,
Velo View Bike Tours
http://veloviewbiketours.com/
Velo View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-12, 08:00 AM   #8
rifraf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Perth Australia
Bikes: Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame, Extrawheel Trailer
Posts: 737
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
A lot of tourist attacks recently probably due to current very high unemployment. To escape NZ's poor prospects immigration to Australia is extremely high (Approx 58,000 this year from memory). My advice other than take very good quality wet weather gear (the place is a soaker cept for February) is either to camp at proper campgrounds or to wild camp very very carefully with lots of stealth. A google search "tourist attacked" with NZ as the preference should explain my view. Many people camping wild in cars and vans have been targeted by criminal behaviour. I feel qualified to give this opinion having spent approx 2003 to 2010 there before returning to Australia. Wonderful scenery but like everywhere beware the local ferals.
rifraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-12, 03:30 PM   #9
Bicycle Addict
Senior Member
 
Bicycle Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Bikes: Marin Bolinas ridge, Carlton Corsa 5, Falcon Olympic 12, 98 Shesh Rockhopper,
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Hi Guys Paul here from Auckland NZ. I work in a bike shop here (more like a co-op) a huge part of our business is touring bikes 2nd hand and new. A couple of things
1) most NZer's seem to change when they get in their cars into very aggressive people.
2) Do not I repeat do not travel on the main highways take the road less traveled, (get the books "Pedallers Paradise which explain in many cases the less busy routes available)
3) Our hill ranges are many travel light, with thinner layers of clothing. Generally do not take more than 2 full changes of clothes (if in winter take merino thermals) Find a thinnish waterproof breathable jacket to ride in if raining (no lining) this will act as a good wind break too.
4) Be prepared for a chilling wind if it is a southerly as there is nothing between Antarctica and NZ so the wind hits Stewart Island and gets split where it then goes straight up the coast on either side and it is a very cold wind.
5) Travel with lots of plastic bags to keep clothes dry if not travelling with waterproof panniers. Snap lock type bags are great for cellphones, medication etc.
6) If on Railtrails most touring tyres 700 x 37-40c or 26 x 1.50-2.00 will be fine, take a lot of water you will need 3-4 litres of water per day in the summer months.
7) The South Island is not too populated from southern Canterbury down in the middle of the island with most of the population being down either coast. Take lots and I mean lots of bottled water if going inland Otago as refreshment stops are few and far between.
8)Our weather is very unpredictable and very quick changing too sun one minute then cloudy then torrential rain enough to soak you completely then cold wind and then sunshine again, I have had this all happen in 1 hour. The rain is hard and fast.
9) run your rear light on blink function whenever you are on the road night or day, if you are planning to do some night riding the brighter your front light the better.
10) Our roads while better than other countries are not the best, so run a puncture protected tyre at the recommended pressure( I run my Schwalbres at 95psi and about 70 on Railtrails.
11) Our rail trails are where it is at for me, in a lot of cases these are areas you will not get anywhere near on roads, some of the most beautiful untouched scenery. This is the stuff that has me so proud to be a Kiwi.
12) Enjoy yourself, we have a very beautiful country here.

If I can be of any help to anyone coming to NZ please do not hesitate to PM me, I would love to help if I can.
Bicycle Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-12, 06:31 PM   #10
Steve0000
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Zealand
Bikes: LHT disc, Cannondale CAAD8, Cannondale Super 6, Avanti Agressor MTB
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
A lot of tourist attacks recently probably due to current very high unemployment. To escape NZ's poor prospects immigration to Australia is extremely high (Approx 58,000 this year from memory). My advice other than take very good quality wet weather gear (the place is a soaker cept for February) is either to camp at proper campgrounds or to wild camp very very carefully with lots of stealth. A google search "tourist attacked" with NZ as the preference should explain my view. Many people camping wild in cars and vans have been targeted by criminal behaviour. I feel qualified to give this opinion having spent approx 2003 to 2010 there before returning to Australia. Wonderful scenery but like everywhere beware the local ferals.
Gosh, it's good to find this info out from an informed source. I have lived in NZ all my life and never knew about our very high unemployment (compared to which countries?) and poor prospects. I'll have to remember to upgrade my wet weather gear since I can now expect more rain than I have ever experienced when cycle touring in NZ. Currently, our town in on high water usage restrictions but this should ease when the high rainfall occurs. I will also have to keep an eagle eye out for the ferals since there appears to be a huge risk (or is it because the media highlight the few cases which occur?). There are ferals in every country, including Australia. You appear to be incredibly biased.
Steve0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-12, 08:14 PM   #11
gnome 
shaken, not stirred.
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Shaky Isles.
Bikes: I've lost count.
Posts: 2,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Unfortunate I have to agree about the poor driving of us kiwis. I'll second the recommendations for lots of water in summer in the South Island, and the choosing back roads where possible.

WEAR SUNSCREEN. Our sun is vicous and during summer we are fairly close to the Antartic "Ozone Hole". You can burn in 15 mins in the height of summer.

Due to the increasing number of tourists using mini-motorhomes (campervans fitted with a bed and cooker but without sinks, waste tanks and on-board toilet facilities), several Disctrict councils have placed prohibitions or restrictions on where you can freedom (stealth) camp. See http://www.mfe.govt.nz/issues/waste/freedom-camping/ for more information.

We don't have the population to support the infrastructure for more than 2 lane roads in most locations. It also means that the road surface of choice on sealed roads is Chip Seal.
__________________
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
vBulletin: snafu
gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-12, 07:09 AM   #12
TheRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: flat lands of Indiana
Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo; 2007 Specialized Sequoia; 2011 Bike Friday Pocket Sport (for traveling & touring)
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The most important thing to know about New Zealand is that it should be on any traveller and/or cyclists' must visit list.

I did a 4 day bike tour on the South Island this year, and it was incredible. Friendly people and some of the most amazing- and varied- landscape I have seen anywhere in the world, made even better by relative lack of people so you can enjoy the scenery often all by yourself.

My major unexpected finding was the chip and seal roads, gives you a beating on long riding days.

Expense- Australia and New Zealand both are relatively expensive but for cycling, I hit hostels for ~$20 a night. I did all my planning via the internet and had plentry of options everywhere I went.

Agreed on the car comments, do not expect much room when they pass.
TheRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-12, 08:53 AM   #13
Cyclebum 
Senior Member
 
Cyclebum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NE Tx
Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial
Posts: 2,768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedWolf View Post
My major unexpected finding was the chip and seal roads, gives you a beating on long riding days.
Ah, like in Texas.
__________________
The bicycle is one of the great inventions of mankind. Delights children, challenges young men to feats of daring, and turns old men into boys again.--Me

Last edited by Cyclebum; 12-23-12 at 08:57 AM.
Cyclebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 02:16 AM   #14
imi
aka Timi
 
imi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour (touring) and a Miyata 100 (commuting)
Posts: 2,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Uh, anyone mention the sandflies?
We looped around south island last winter. Beautiful.
Have to agree about the drivers 'though. Logging trucks and the yellow postal vans were the worst.
Bombing down hills at 60+ km/h is great fun, but being caught in the crosswinds of a truck passing within inches at those speeds less so.

I rode on 28mm Gatorskins (Hardshells actually). Next time I'd go for 32's because of the chip seal. Lowering the tire pressure a bit helped.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2038.jpg (87.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2304.jpg (46.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by imi; 12-28-12 at 02:26 AM.
imi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 01:23 PM   #15
Rowan
Has opinion, will express
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,760
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclebum View Post
Ah, like in Texas.
Chip seal is de rigeur in the Antipodes. That's why we were... ummm... less than sympathetic about your observations on chipseal shoulders in Texas
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-13, 10:29 PM   #16
ekibayno
Sage
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Bikes: Chesini Precision 84, Kuota Kredo, Sabbath Silk Route, Van Nicholas Pioneer,
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have recently returned from my second tour of the South Island. The road conditions didn't bother me at all, and very few vehicles came close enough to penetrate my consciousness.

Journals:
Gone Fishin'
Chasing the Long White Cloud
ekibayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 11:01 PM   #17
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,011
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Rowan and I are toying with the idea of going to New Zealand ... after all, we're just a stone's throw away! So I'm looking through some of the New Zealand threads here.

Have any of you ridden any of these:

Ten stunning New Zealand cycle rides

Ten stunning New Zealand cycle rides - Lonely Planet
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-15, 02:20 AM   #18
imi
aka Timi
 
imi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour (touring) and a Miyata 100 (commuting)
Posts: 2,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Things to know about New Zealand

Machka: Those trails look great! If I were to return to NZ, I would probably search out such trails and go at a slower pace to enjoy them.
imi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-15, 05:42 AM   #19
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,011
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imi View Post
Machka: Those trails look great! If I were to return to NZ, I would probably search out such trails and go at a slower pace to enjoy them.
That's kind of what we're thinking ... set the folders up with tires appropriate for gravelly roads, and ride one or two or more at a casual pace.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:37 AM.