Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Oregon to SC, 43mpd, no camping gear

    Just realized I never posted the end stats on last year's coast to coast trip in case anyone's wondering if wimpy riders (43 mpd avg) can make it across without camping gear:


    Miles ridden from North Bend to Hilton Head: 3,938 miles
    Riding days: 90
    Rest days: 9 (4 of these were veterinary convention)
    Avg mileage per riding day: 43.8m
    Longest day: 80m (by choice, longest day out of necessity was 71 miles)
    Avg motel cost: $84 (includes 28 breakfasts, 2 dinners, & 3 hot spring passes)
    Total motel cost for 76 nights: $6,386
    Avg RV camping cost: $19 (includes 8 nights of free dry camping / parking)
    Total RV camping cost for 23 nights: $445

    Conclusions:
    https://bicyclelife.topicwise.com/do...page_id=305554

  2. #2
    Senior Member zeppinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Giant FCR3, Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,956
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sweet that you actually kept all those stats! Thanks for sharing. For me, the $6,286 spent on hotels could buy a whole heck of a lot of really nice camping gear!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rwc5830's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Harlingen, TX Warmshowers Host
    My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yumadons View Post
    Just realized I never posted the end stats on last year's coast to coast trip in case anyone's wondering if wimpy riders (43 mpd avg) can make it across without camping gear:


    Miles ridden from North Bend to Hilton Head: 3,938 miles
    Riding days: 90
    Rest days: 9 (4 of these were veterinary convention)
    Avg mileage per riding day: 43.8m
    Longest day: 80m (by choice, longest day out of necessity was 71 miles)
    Avg motel cost: $84 (includes 28 breakfasts, 2 dinners, & 3 hot spring passes)
    Total motel cost for 76 nights: $6,386
    Avg RV camping cost: $19 (includes 8 nights of free dry camping / parking)
    Total RV camping cost for 23 nights: $445

    Conclusions:
    https://bicyclelife.topicwise.com/do...page_id=305554
    Thanks for posting...now gotta go read your journal. Great accomplishment even if you did not camp!
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put all the names/prices/contact info for the places we stayed in the journal so anyone could use it as a template. A TransAm seems to be a big bucket list item but by the time you get there, maybe one (or both) spouses can't do those big days or doesn't want to sleep on the ground anymore. Camping was a great (and only) way to do the Northern Tier at 25, but this was the only way DH could've done it at 60.

    RWC5830, we lived in Harlingen back in 1992. We actually started the TransAm back then (camping) but called home from Eugene, OR, found out my mom just had a cerebral hemmorhage, and had to scrap the whole trip. Took another 20 years to gitter done!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Rwc5830's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Harlingen, TX Warmshowers Host
    My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yumadons View Post
    I put all the names/prices/contact info for the places we stayed in the journal so anyone could use it as a template. A TransAm seems to be a big bucket list item but by the time you get there, maybe one (or both) spouses can't do those big days or doesn't want to sleep on the ground anymore. Camping was a great (and only) way to do the Northern Tier at 25, but this was the only way DH could've done it at 60.

    RWC5830, we lived in Harlingen back in 1992. We actually started the TransAm back then (camping) but called home from Eugene, OR, found out my mom just had a cerebral hemmorhage, and had to scrap the whole trip. Took another 20 years to gitter done!
    Wow, small world !! Anyway read your journal on CGOAB and thoroughly enjoyed it. I so want to do a tour but have to wait until retiring, getting close. Did you notice that Don's name was misspelled on his hospital bracelet? Maybe you mentioned it but I thought it was a bit humorous, maybe not to Don!

    Anyway I started cycling almost two years ago and ride at a 7k miles a year clip.....but not touring yet, just a nice road bike. I joined warmshowers as a host late last year. Had some cyclists come through on the way to South America. What a great way to meet some great people.

    Now I know a tour is possible without camping, no excuses now!!!
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

  6. #6
    Certified Bike Brat Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    4,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you had a good time!

    It's not normally the 'no camping' thing that discourages most people from what is essentually credit-card-touring , it's the cost per day. Your travelling costs are pushing $100/day, mostly for food and lodging. That cost vs what it costs to stay home - is the reason many people simply don't travel. (and is also the reason the tourist industry is such big business).

  7. #7
    Senior Member zeppinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Giant FCR3, Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,956
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burton View Post
    Sounds like you had a good time!

    It's not normally the 'no camping' thing that discourages most people from what is essentually credit-card-touring , it's the cost per day. Your travelling costs are pushing $100/day, mostly for food and lodging. That cost vs what it costs to stay home - is the reason many people simply don't travel. (and is also the reason the tourist industry is such big business).
    Good points. I cycled in China for less than $300 a month in 2011. I went pretty cheap but at that price I rarely camped, instead staying at budget guesthouses most nights that cost from 2-5 dollars a night. Meals were around $0.50 - $1 at most basic restaurants which is where I primarily ate. I had at least 2 beers a night for that price as well so even at that low number there is plenty of room to go cheaper. I dont think I could afford a very long credit card tour in the USA and it is primarily in expensive western countries where camping becomes "Essential."

  8. #8
    Certified Bike Brat Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    4,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah - I guess it really depends if the whole trip is part if the plan. Did some excursions to Novia Scotia by car on ocassion and its about a $3,500km round trip. Between car rental, gas, motels for two weeks and food - costs ran about $1/km. Big difference there (to me) was that the first and last 1,000kms were only transit and took 14 hours each way. The actual destination(s) were all within the province of NS so that gave us 12 full days there and only two in transit. Condensed travel times are the only real reason for jet airlines, trains and automobiles.

  9. #9
    Senior Member mtnbud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Salem Oregon
    My Bikes
    1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the report! Kudos to Don and you! It looks like you both had a great time.
    “If You Open Your Mind Too Much Your Brain Will Fall Out”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •