Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-13, 10:41 AM   #1
Grandslamboogie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bruce Gordon Touring Bike Value?

I've got a beautiful BG touring bike that I bought used about 10 years ago. Babies and toddlers in the house now and the bike has been hanging unused for 3 years and I just don't have the space to store it so it's time to sell. Does anyone have an idea of what it's worth?

Based on the serial number I believe it was built in 1996. It has 2 water bottle holders, front and rear Bruce Gordon racks and 2 sets of tires (road and Rock & Road).

Measurements (based on the BG sizing info - http://www.bgcycles.com/fitting.html) are as follows:
Standover Height = 28 and 3/4 inches
Frame Size = 16 inches
Top Tube length - A = 21", B = 4", and C = 25"

Any thoughts on what this bike is worth will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0255.jpg (99.8 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by Grandslamboogie; 05-29-13 at 02:28 PM. Reason: add photo
Grandslamboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-13, 12:23 PM   #2
chefisaac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Post a pic so we can at least see it!
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-13, 12:26 PM   #3
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 19,697
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
half of what you paid for it is a rule of thumb, if undamaged, and ready to ride.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-13, 02:29 PM   #4
Grandslamboogie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just added a pic. Desperately needs a wash!
Grandslamboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-13, 06:56 PM   #5
Grandslamboogie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the tip, Fietsbob!
Grandslamboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 06:21 AM   #6
velonomad 
Older I get, Better I was
 
velonomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Greenfield Lake, Wilmington NC
Bikes: '14 BD Lurch Fatbike, '10 custom road,'06 custom expedition, '94 Yokota Tandem, '88 custom MTB
Posts: 1,693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
If I was selling it, I would list it on Ebay at $1500 or BO and see what offers I got. Even with all the shipping hassle and fees on Ebay and PayPal , I usually come out far ahead of what I get when selling on Craigslist.
velonomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 10:46 AM   #7
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 19,697
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Here, LBS, if you put a bike on consignment, after it sells, it all can be applied to, say, another bike,
more suitable to your needs.

and would get more than as a trade in.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 11:02 AM   #8
Grandslamboogie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by velonomad View Post
If I was selling it, I would list it on Ebay at $1500 or BO and see what offers I got. Even with all the shipping hassle and fees on Ebay and PayPal , I usually come out far ahead of what I get when selling on Craigslist.
Thanks velonomad. I'm in Canada - which will most definitely make shipping expensive and a hassle - but I may look into that.
Grandslamboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 11:03 AM   #9
Grandslamboogie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Here, LBS, if you put a bike on consignment, after it sells, it all can be applied to, say, another bike,
more suitable to your needs.

and would get more than as a trade in.
I like this idea too! Thanks!
Grandslamboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 09:08 PM   #10
mtn.cyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Gypsum, CO
Bikes: Litespeed Obed, Cannondale Scalpel, Spcialized AWOL, Litespeed Solano, Cannondale Synapse
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would love for you to keep it and ride.
mtn.cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 09:38 PM   #11
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 19,697
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
bike panniers on racks, that solid, do make great shopping bags, and you will need something to tow the kid trailer..
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 09:47 PM   #12
pacificcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada
Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandslamboogie View Post
I've got a beautiful BG touring bike that I bought used about 10 years ago. Babies and toddlers in the house now and the bike has been hanging unused for 3 years and I just don't have the space to store it so it's time to sell. Does anyone have an idea of what it's worth?

Based on the serial number I believe it was built in 1996. It has 2 water bottle holders, front and rear Bruce Gordon racks and 2 sets of tires (road and Rock & Road).

Measurements (based on the BG sizing info - http://www.bgcycles.com/fitting.html) are as follows:
Standover Height = 28 and 3/4 inches
Frame Size = 16 inches
Top Tube length - A = 21", B = 4", and C = 25"

Any thoughts on what this bike is worth will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
I see that you're from Canada, so touring bikes in general are a bit of a hard sell cause there's just not a huge market for it. Grand Fondo is the big thing now, so bikes geared to that kind of event will sell for more.
And there is a glut of new old stock touring bikes being priced down to like $799 or $899 new (Fuji Touring/ Raleigh SoJourn and Kona Sutra for like $1200) due to the end of the recent bike boom due to high gas prices, so they are going to be your starting point divided by half.

Unless a person is looking for a Bruce Gordon bike, your value in the brand name is going to mean very little to an average buyer. And in some provinces like Vancouver, BC, Canada, you will have a heck of a time selling a touring bike like yours at top dollar. That's just the way it is.
pacificcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 05:19 AM   #13
Grandslamboogie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificcyclist View Post
I see that you're from Canada, so touring bikes in general are a bit of a hard sell cause there's just not a huge market for it. Grand Fondo is the big thing now, so bikes geared to that kind of event will sell for more.
And there is a glut of new old stock touring bikes being priced down to like $799 or $899 new (Fuji Touring/ Raleigh SoJourn and Kona Sutra for like $1200) due to the end of the recent bike boom due to high gas prices, so they are going to be your starting point divided by half.

Unless a person is looking for a Bruce Gordon bike, your value in the brand name is going to mean very little to an average buyer. And in some provinces like Vancouver, BC, Canada, you will have a heck of a time selling a touring bike like yours at top dollar. That's just the way it is.
Pacificcyclist - sadly you're right about the Canadian market. I'm in Ontario and have had several people interested but all men that are considerably taller than me. Need to find a man that's looking for a bike for his short wife

I've got a bike seat that the kids ride on behind me but of course the seat won't fit on my BG so it's on my 25 year old clunker mountain bike instead.
Grandslamboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 05:22 AM   #14
Grandslamboogie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.cyclist View Post
I would love for you to keep it and ride.
Me too. I've posted on kijiji and if someone is interested I'll sell but I guess I'm not desperate so if no one bites, I've still got a great bike... hanging from the ceiling of my garage.
Grandslamboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 05:28 AM   #15
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie
 
Juha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Bikes:
Posts: 6,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
+1 on trailer and utility cycling... you can find use for your bike even with kids.
__________________
To err is human. To moo is bovine.

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?


Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Juha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 07:40 AM   #16
pacificcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada
Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandslamboogie View Post
Pacificcyclist - sadly you're right about the Canadian market. I'm in Ontario and have had several people interested but all men that are considerably taller than me. Need to find a man that's looking for a bike for his short wife

I've got a bike seat that the kids ride on behind me but of course the seat won't fit on my BG so it's on my 25 year old clunker mountain bike instead.
Try posting the ad at your local MEC store both at gearswap and at their bulletin board.

Good luck on your sale.
pacificcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 02:48 PM   #17
Saddle Up
I Love My Dream
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why do people use children as their excuse not to do things instead of the children being the reason why they do things? It's confusing to me.
Saddle Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 10:23 PM   #18
mtnbud
Senior Member
 
mtnbud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salem Oregon
Bikes: 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
Why do people use children as their excuse not to do things instead of the children being the reason why they do things? It's confusing to me.
I'd rather blame the wife
mtnbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-13, 06:34 AM   #19
tarwheel 
Senior Member
 
tarwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 8,480
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
That is a small frame, so that will limit your market quite a bit. However, for the right person, it would be a great bike made by a master craftsman. Personally, I would list it on the Crazyguyonabike website classified ad section. That way you will be reaching the segment of cyclists who might appreciate the bike for what it is and pay a fair price. For a price, your best guide would be to search completed auctions on eBay. Unfortunately, Bruce Gordon bikes are not very popular, so you might not find many if any completed auctions for them. IMHO, I doubt if you could sell the bike as is for $1,500, even though BG tourers are top notch. A used bike that is 16 years old in a small size by a boutique builder is just not going to command top prices. The price will also be determined by the components, which you did not describe. If built with Shimano Ultegra/DA or Campy parts, it will be worth much more. Often, you are better off parting-out a bike than selling it complete, but that is more work.

For comparison purposes, in the past couple of years, I have bought these frames -- all in very good condition for the following prices:
- Waterford RST-22 custom frame, fork and Chris King headset, $650. This is a top-of-the-line sport touring frame that would cost $3500-4000 new.
- Gunnar Sport frame with Waterford fork, headset and brakes, $650. Topnotch sport touring frame that would cost $1500 new as built.
- Ritchey Breakaway Cross frame with travel case, headset but no fork, $510. High quality travel cross frame in great condition that would cost about $1300 new.
- Bob Jackson World Tour frame and fork, $600. This was a brand new frame, in the color of my choice, shipped from England.
tarwheel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-13, 10:22 AM   #20
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 5,772
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I second using Mec, or the crazy guy site, as I'm sūre you just need to find the group of people who want to tour, and as mentioned, someone around 5'2", who would appreciate it.
Without seeing it in person, the price seems good, but I wouldn't sell it for a song, if there are not major problems with it, its too nice a bike to sell too low.
Good luck
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-13, 01:43 PM   #21
surfjimc
Used to be fast
 
surfjimc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: So Cal
Bikes: 85 Specialized Expedition, 07 Motobecane Immortal Spirit built up with Dura ace and Mavic Ksyriums, '85 Bianchi Track Bike, '90 Fisher Procaliber, '96 Landshark TwinDirt Shark Tandem, '88 Curtlo
Posts: 573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it helps you with pricing, I bought a used very small custom Curtlo touring bike for my wife on Craig's List for $650. It was a couple of years old, built up with Shimano XT. It was a great deal and it is a very nice bike. Your BG has much nicer racks and is a more expensive frame, but you are dealing with a limited market. The bike I found on CL had been relisted multiple times and I paid less than the asking price. Hope that helps you figure things out.
surfjimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 07:27 AM   #22
Grandslamboogie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
Why do people use children as their excuse not to do things instead of the children being the reason why they do things? It's confusing to me.
I'm officially offended, Saddle Up. I'm only trying to sell a bike. If I was looking for people to comment on the way I live my life with our without children, I'd post on Oprah.com. I get plenty of riding in with my kids. Just not on this bike. But thanks for your concern.
Grandslamboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 07:31 AM   #23
Grandslamboogie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbud View Post
I'd rather blame the wife
Oh, if only I could. Unfortunately I AM the wife I'll blame the workaholic husband instead.
Grandslamboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 08:47 AM   #24
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 5,772
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Good responses btw. Anonymous internet forums can unfortunately bring out grumpykins, but there are parents here who know how family life is, so don't fret.
My wife is just a bit shorter than you, but alas doesn't want to ride loaded, if the situation and or timing was a bit different I would be interested (we got an xs road bike recently) but there must be interested tourers out that this bike would fit.
I'm sūre you will find the right buyer in time.
Cheers
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 11:55 AM   #25
Grandslamboogie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificcyclist View Post
Try posting the ad at your local MEC store both at gearswap and at their bulletin board.

Good luck on your sale.
Thanks pacificcyclist. I had it on the Gearswap but see I have to re-post it. If I make it to an actual MEC in the near future (I'm not lucky enough to have one locally) I'll be sure to post an ad on their bulletin board. Thanks for the idea.
Grandslamboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 AM.