Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-14-14, 05:03 PM   #26
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 9,636
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes View Post
The back lit bike computers are for riding in the dark. Very handy if you need to know the time, distance home, etc.
Clearly, backlights are useful for riding in the dark.

Cycling computers, like the Garmin Edge 800, have a display that works OK in sunlight without the backlight.

Tablets/phones have a display that requires the backlight and doesn't work very well, at all, in sunlight.
njkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 08:09 AM   #27
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 22,141
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Just thinking like I'd hope the people using their cell phones (and driving over people , because they are not paying attention), Should..

pullover and stop , first !
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 09:22 AM   #28
pdlamb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee
Posts: 2,922
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Back to the O.P.'s question, I doubt the Ortlieb GPS case would work. The map case might work if you could mount it in "landscape" position. It'd probably be necessary to lock the screen orientation. Ortliebs are easiest to mount tilting slightly downward. If the tablet auto-rotates, you'll be trying to read it upside down. Ask Wayne at thetouringstore.com about dimensions. Also be wary of how you'll operate the tablet; capacitive touch screens will NOT work through the Ortlieb waterproof plastic.
pdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 09:22 AM   #29
wphamilton
rugged individualist
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Bikes: Nashbar Road
Posts: 10,421
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
Clearly, backlights are useful for riding in the dark.

Cycling computers, like the Garmin Edge 800, have a display that works OK in sunlight without the backlight.

Tablets/phones have a display that requires the backlight and doesn't work very well, at all, in sunlight.
Generally true, but you are assuming that a given application requires a display at all, and also that all tablet displays are the backlight types. Maybe his tablet uses e-ink. Perhaps an app has an auditory interface, such as voice-cue navigation. Perhaps OP's objective is to have it conveniently located, whatever he uses it for. There are a lot of situations where it's not at all true that a phone doesn't work well, at all, in sunlight. OP deserves the benefit of the doubt on his question.

But even with a display-dependent app, the display on a phone can be usable in sunlight. For example, I downloaded a simple speedometer app that displayed a widget showing just a number in a very large, bright font, and it was not at all difficult to see. While I was testing that, I received a phone call, immediately swiped it to answer and pulled over for my conversation. Can't beat the convenience of that.
wphamilton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 09:58 AM   #30
BigAura
 
BigAura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chapin, SC
Bikes: surly LHT, paris sport fixed, trek 5000, fuji ss
Posts: 2,638
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Personally I'd rather not carry any devices that are not waterproof and hardened for (ab)use. Most devices are not designed for outdoor living 24/7. I highly recommend enclosing any electronic device in a quality, aftermarket, shock, and waterproof case. I use the LifeProof for my iPhone

Last edited by BigAura; 04-15-14 at 10:07 AM.
BigAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 10:45 AM   #31
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 9,636
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
Generally true, but you are assuming that a given application requires a display at all,
Well, he's mounting it on his handlebar. And I was replying to a commment that was talking about backlights. That strongly suggests that it's going to be looked at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
and also that all tablet displays are the backlight types. Maybe his tablet uses e-ink.
That's possible but not at all likely. He said he's using a "phablet". So the probability of it being e-ink is effectively zero. (But an e-ink display would not be a bad idea!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
Perhaps an app has an auditory interface, such as voice-cue navigation.
That's possible, too. But, even if you are using an auditory interface, being able to see a map is useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
Perhaps OP's objective is to have it conveniently located, whatever he uses it for. There are a lot of situations where it's not at all true that a phone doesn't work well, at all, in sunlight. OP deserves the benefit of the doubt on his question.
I don't care/mind at all that the user wants to use a tablet/phablet/phone! (And I was replying to the "backlight" comment.) I'm just making the trade-offs clear (to him and other people).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
But even with a display-dependent app, the display on a phone can be usable in sunlight. For example, I downloaded a simple speedometer app that displayed a widget showing just a number in a very large, bright font, and it was not at all difficult to see. While I was testing that, I received a phone call, immediately swiped it to answer and pulled over for my conversation. Can't beat the convenience of that.
Lots of people use phones while riding. More power to them (ignoring any "distracted driving" issues)!!

While you are certainly free to use your expensive phone to replace a cheap cycle speedometer (again, I don't mind!), the phone is a bit overkill for that purpose. My iPhone and Nexus 7 are hard to read in sunlight. My Edge 800 is much easier to read.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-15-14 at 11:25 AM.
njkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 11:37 AM   #32
wphamilton
rugged individualist
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Bikes: Nashbar Road
Posts: 10,421
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
..

That's possible but not at all likely. (But an e-ink display would not be a bad idea!)

I'd give up video, games and quick screen response on my phone for one. I was imagining something like a Kindle though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
Lots of people use phones while riding. More power to them (ignoring any "distracted driving" issues)!!

While you are certainly free to use your expensive phone to replace a cheap cycle speedometer (again, I don't mind!), the phone is a bit overkill for that purpose. My iPhone and Nexus 7 are hard to read in sunlight. My Edge 800 is much easier to read.
The cheap cycle speedometer works better - I was only using it as a proof of concept.

Nexus 7 I agree is all but unusable in direct sunlight.
wphamilton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 12:02 PM   #33
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 9,636
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
I'd give up video, games and quick screen response on my phone for one. I was imagining something like a Kindle though.
E-ink isn't a bad idea at all.

https://www.meetearl.com/ (Though, it's been in "pre-order" status for a couple of years at least.)

I'm not sure if you can side-load apps to the e-ink Kindles (which means what you could use them for is very limited).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
The cheap cycle speedometer works better - I was only using it as a proof of concept.
Yes, it sort-of works but there really isn't much of a value "proving" it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
Nexus 7 I agree is all but unusable in direct sunlight.
The Garmin Edge displays are pretty good (especially the data black&white screens). The color map screen is OK but useable (and without a battery-draining backlight).

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-15-14 at 12:08 PM.
njkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 12:51 PM   #34
wphamilton
rugged individualist
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Bikes: Nashbar Road
Posts: 10,421
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
E-ink isn't a bad idea at all.

https://www.meetearl.com/ (Though, it's been in "pre-order" status for a couple of years at least.)
That's pretty intriguing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
Yes, it sort-of works but there really isn't much of a value "proving" it.
When you're considering designing android apps for a phone, or evaluating them, it's helpful to know what the display looks like in real world conditions. A double-row size widget displays a large block number adequately in mid-afternoon light.
wphamilton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 03:29 PM   #35
mobile_simon
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mobile_simon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Through some testing the screen is almost impossible to see in the sunlight, which kind of kills the point of having it mounted.

Transflective screens are apparently not great for indoor viewing hence why they're only used on dedicated GPS's. The Nokia Lumia 920 has a special screen mode for sunlight readability but I have my doubts that it's much better than what I've already got.

Maybe I'll just use the smartphone to plan a route, then write up a cue sheet each night.

Dreaming of the ultimate solution to spend wads of dough on... Garmin Monterra?
mobile_simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 03:37 PM   #36
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 9,636
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
When you're considering designing android apps for a phone, or evaluating them, it's helpful to know what the display looks like in real world conditions. A double-row size widget displays a large block number adequately in mid-afternoon light.
I suppose. It's just not something many people would do. Though, I figure that the display choices made in the cue-sheet app are related to what you are talking about.

Computationally, the phones are more than up to the task of navigation (they are faster than the Edge 800). They apparently work well for tracking/recording rides (ala Strava).

They are devices that many people have. I'm actually interested in them working for people.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-15-14 at 03:47 PM.
njkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 03:51 PM   #37
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 9,636
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile_simon View Post
Through some testing the screen is almost impossible to see in the sunlight, which kind of kills the point of having it mounted.

Transflective screens are apparently not great for indoor viewing hence why they're only used on dedicated GPS's. The Nokia Lumia 920 has a special screen mode for sunlight readability but I have my doubts that it's much better than what I've already got.

Maybe I'll just use the smartphone to plan a route, then write up a cue sheet each night.

Dreaming of the ultimate solution to spend wads of dough on... Garmin Monterra?
That's one reason some people stick with the Garmins.

What app are you using for navigation?

You should check-out the cue-sheet app. A friend used voice-prompts on the ridewithgps app on a long ride and was satisfied with it (the ridewithgps app requires a subscription for navigation).
.
njkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:56 AM.