Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (http://www.bikeforums.net/touring/)
-   -   new tires (http://www.bikeforums.net/touring/949749-new-tires.html)

lurch0038 05-23-14 12:12 PM

new tires
 
I just purchased a pair of Schwalbe marathon plus tires sized 700x45c. According to the site I purchased them from it states that the tires may be larger than the listed size. Has anyone purchased these tires and how much larger are they. I bought the tires to support more weight but have concerns that I will not be able to use these tires with fenders on my disc trucker.

THANKS!

Louis Le Tour 05-23-14 06:01 PM

My LHTD has 26" wheels. I thought they all did! Hey, whatta I know?

Cyclesafe 05-23-14 06:17 PM

As tires get wider, they get taller, possibly interfering with fenders. You may be able to jury-rig something to remount the fenders higher. Or not. Welcome to the fitment issues of cycle touring.

Oh. To answer your question the "45c" is actually 47-622.

indyfabz 05-23-14 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis Le Tour (Post 16786314)
My LHTD has 26" wheels. I thought they all did!

Why did you think that?

lurch0038 05-24-14 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclesafe (Post 16786352)
As tires get wider, they get taller, possibly interfering with fenders. You may be able to jury-rig something to remount the fenders higher. Or not. Welcome to the fitment issues of cycle touring.

Oh. To answer your question the "45c" is actually 47-622.

Thanks for the info! Yeah I am not expert on tire sizes so I am sure I made a mistake in tire sizes. I am really liking my touring bike!!!

mdilthey 05-24-14 03:02 PM

45" tires are really plush. The LHT does say "Fatties fit fine" right on the side, but I think there's an almost negligible difference in comfort between a 45 and a, say, 38. I run 38's and I am very comfortable, and handle load fine.

So, if they don't work, don't be afraid to go slightly narrower.

lurch0038 05-26-14 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdilthey (Post 16788301)
45" tires are really plush. The LHT does say "Fatties fit fine" right on the side, but I think there's an almost negligible difference in comfort between a 45 and a, say, 38. I run 38's and I am very comfortable, and handle load fine.

So, if they don't work, don't be afraid to go slightly narrower.

I have 40s on the bike now and so far like the ride but wanted wider tires to handle more weight but also wanted the puncture protection that those tires offer. If the tires are too big for fenders I could downsize to 40s with the same puncture protection.

Was hoping that someone else has the 45s with fenders saving time and some cash.

wahoonc 05-26-14 11:23 AM

No clue on that particular size. I run Schwalbe Marathon's in a 47-406 and they were noticeably larger than the inexpensive Kenda tires with the same size they replaced. Just did squeeze in where I needed them. Next time I will order one size down :P

Aaron :)

lurch0038 05-29-14 07:07 PM

Mounted the "45s" (47-622) 700x45c and wow what a nice soft ride! It looks like there is a little room for fenders but if they do not fit I have the "40s" to go back to.

Louis Le Tour 05-29-14 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 16786576)
Why did you think that?

Uhhhhh...................'cuz I'm a newbie and don't know squat about bicycle tires?

benda18 06-02-14 02:18 PM

You can mount ETRTO 50-622 (700x50c, 29x2.0) Schwalbe Fat Frank tires in a 700c LHT frame WITH room for fenders. On the back at least, haven't gotten to front yet.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5494/...ce86433d_b.jpg
Those are VO Zeppelin fenders on velocity dyad rims

EDIT: tire fits fine on front with heaps of clearance. Just can't find my front fender yet (recently moved). I'm certain there will be no issue.

DogBoy 06-02-14 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurlyWebsite
Tire Clearance

26˝: 2.1˝ with or without fenders; 700c: 42mm with fenders, 45mm without fenders Individual tire and rim combos affect tire clearance

Specs say 42 with fenders, 45 without.

indyfabz 06-02-14 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis Le Tour (Post 16804261)
Uhhhhh...................'cuz I'm a newbie and don't know squat about bicycle tires?

But your comment was about available wheel sizes on the model of bike that you bought. A few minutes (at most) on Surly's web site reveals that many sizes of the LHT are available with either 26" or 700c wheels. Maybe I am odd, but that's the sort of thing I look into before making a purchase.

BTW...I thought of you this past weekend. I did a three-day to a state park. It was crowded. Car alarms kept going off, and I got paid a visit by some feisty 'coons.

TheReal Houdini 06-02-14 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogBoy (Post 16814811)
Specs say 42 with fenders, 45 without.

Surly's specs are going to be conservative; they can't know the width of your rim or account for brand and manufacturing differences in marked/marketed and actual tire width.

TheReal Houdini 06-02-14 04:20 PM

And I like 622x47. I don't notice the difference in weight or speed but I do notice the difference in comfort all the time and and the difference in control on very rough surfaces (vs 42 and 38).

lurch0038 06-02-14 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benda18 (Post 16814780)
you can mount etrto 50-622 (700x50c, 29x2.0) schwalbe fat frank tires in a 700c lht frame with room for fenders. On the back at least, haven't gotten to front yet.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5494/...ce86433d_b.jpg
those are vo zeppelin fenders.

great info!

staehpj1 06-16-14 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclesafe (Post 16786352)
As tires get wider, they get taller, possibly interfering with fenders. You may be able to jury-rig something to remount the fenders higher. Or not. Welcome to the fitment issues of cycle touring.

Oh. To answer your question the "45c" is actually 47-622.

Cyclesafe, what is up with your account? I can't PM you and I see a message from you that seems to be a few months old. I don't recall seeing it before and can't reply to it now.

Louis Le Tour 06-16-14 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 16815055)
...I thought of you this past weekend. I did a three-day to a state park. It was crowded. Car alarms kept going off, and I got paid a visit by some feisty 'coons.

Yeah, it seems that people don't think twice about acting the same in a state or national park as they do in downtown Big City. Oh well, I've known for quite some time this ain't the USA I grew up in.

indyfabz 06-17-14 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis Le Tour (Post 16856753)
Yeah, it seems that people don't think twice about acting the same in a state or national park as they do in downtown Big City. Oh well, I've known for quite some time this ain't the USA I grew up in.

With "people" including you, of course.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:56 PM.