Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (http://www.bikeforums.net/touring/)
-   -   Rain poncho (http://www.bikeforums.net/touring/950050-rain-poncho.html)

dengidog 05-25-14 11:20 AM

Rain poncho
 
Teacherlady´s posting got me thinking (dangerous, I know!)...has anyone else used a rain poncho and been happy with it? I do a lot of local riding, but bike tours are once a year, if I´m lucky. I picked up an inexpensive one on Ebay as a temp solution and was surprised that it´s actually pretty well made. The attached sleeves and hood are what I really like. Anyone use a poncho and like/hate it?

fietsbob 05-25-14 11:35 AM

A cycling rain cape is a whole different thing than a poncho..

Cycle cape is generally Conical. No sleeves , arms are under the cape , so as to form a awning over your legs ..
so needing rain pants too, is rare. winter storm -headwind , perhaps ..

a Poncho is a flat rectangle ..

Korean War Surplus there were "Shelter halves" as 2 snapped to gether to form a field PuP Tent...


I have a Cycle Rain Cape , It works well and serves well to keep my hands dry too, as It drapes over them , as I said No Sleeves ..

Ponchos are better, if walking and maybe backpacking..

Louis Le Tour 05-25-14 11:36 AM

You ride a Habanero Titanium? WOW! That sounds like a HOT bike!

wahoonc 05-26-14 10:12 AM

I use rain capes, as well as wool capes in the winter, much more comfortable than conventional coats. I have two rain capes, one from Log House Designs, the other from Carradice.

Aaron :)

Bandera 05-26-14 10:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wahoonc (Post 16792657)
I use rain capes, as well as wool capes in the winter, much more comfortable than conventional coats. I have two rain capes, one from Log House Designs, the other from Carradice.

Aaron :)

I'm w/ Aaron, the British know cycling rain gear, for my hot climate a Carradice cycling rain cape gets it w/ full mudguards.


-Bandera

seeker333 05-26-14 11:59 AM

I prefer the hi viz aspect of the Pro Route:

Pro-route cycle cape

dengidog 05-26-14 08:05 PM

Good point, fietsbob. I guess what I bought is a knock-off rain cape with sleeves.

Since I don´t often ride in rain, and probably will stop if it gets ugly, I just didn´t want to spend $$$$ on something that I might not like...hence, the Ebay cheapo. I´m going to be doing the PCH in August, so I´ll soon find out if that was a smart move!

koffee brown 05-26-14 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dengidog (Post 16790248)
Teacherlady´s posting got me thinking (dangerous, I know!)...has anyone else used a rain poncho and been happy with it? I do a lot of local riding, but bike tours are once a year, if I´m lucky. I picked up an inexpensive one on Ebay as a temp solution and was surprised that it´s actually pretty well made. The attached sleeves and hood are what I really like. Anyone use a poncho and like/hate it?

Man, here's the thing. When I graduated from the George Washington University, our commencement ceremony was held outdoors in the rain. They don't stop commencement for that! But they passed out ponchos to every single person in the crowd, and then some. Those ponchos were the best I've ever seen. They were so good, I snagged a few more. I don't know where they got them from, but they were perfect! Totally waterproof, breathable, and covered you to mid-thigh. It made my entire time at the university worth it. Wow.

koffee

fietsbob 05-26-14 09:32 PM

The Campmor-Log house ones are well priced .. I paid more for my Rivendale - Grindens rain Cape , It' much heavier material and larger .

the heavier PVC stiff wont flap much in some stiff storm winds , which many say is a cape demerit.. but the lighter ones pack smaller ..

FWIW , Carradice Saddle bags have a Cape roll set of rings / buckles on their top flaps to stow your cape between storms.

irwin7638 05-27-14 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 16794295)
The Campmor-Log house ones are well priced .. I paid more for my Rivendale - Grindens rain Cape , It' much heavier material and larger .

the heavier PVC stiff wont flap much in some stiff storm winds , which many say is a cape demerit.. but the lighter ones pack smaller ..

FWIW , Carradice Saddle bags have a Cape roll set of rings / buckles on their top flaps to stow your cape between storms.

I have a Campmor Rain Cape, as well as a Chrome rain "hoodie." The cape is cooler to wear and keeps the lower half of my body dry. The jacket is better material, but hotter, it is more comfortable in the wind. There are trade offs. I have worn out the water proofing on the Campmor Cape. I sprayed it down with a can of Coleman water repellent, but I suppose that will now be an ongoing process. How does the Grundens Cape compare?

Marc

fietsbob 05-27-14 07:56 AM

Grundens main product lines have Long been foul weather gear for the Off shore fisheries folks ,
(Ala 'Deadliest Catch' Bearing Straights AK King Crabbers etc.)


Its a Welded seam thick PVC on a nylon backing , Relatively Truck tarp like ..

a Swedish company, Made in Portugal .. (Grundens USA is in the area around Seattle WA.)..

There is no hood on it ,, Grundens Made SouWester hat a size too big with a fleece cap under it for insulation is what I wear..
so it turns with my head, of course..

& LL Bean Boots to keep my feet dry..



FWIW I have discovered Plastidip , the tool handle stuff a syrup like liquid, paints on Nylon OK when the fabric-factory Polyurethane coating wears off

they make it in many colors , including a Yellow. I've used it on Cordura ..


the cape is No wider than You are of course ...


My Bike Friday is setup somewhat like my Brompton , the Dyno- head and taillight mounted low,
so wearing the rain cape, they are not draped over, and covered by the cape .. FWIW

Trek_CycleOps 05-27-14 08:45 PM

How much additional wind resistance does a Rain Cape generate?

It would be cool if this made biking in the rain comfortable enough to be more than a utilitarian thing.

Doug64 05-27-14 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dengidog (Post 16794118)

I´m going to be doing the PCH in August, so I´ll soon find out if that was a smart move!

If you are using a cape, make sure you are riding it north to south. Also a post ride evaluation of your use of a cape would be great feedback.

Enjoy your ride and ride safe!

fietsbob 05-28-14 07:38 AM

Quote:

How much additional wind resistance does a Rain Cape generate?
how do you propose to quantify that other than a Opinion?

and of course Opinions vary widely , many expressed based on restated hearsay and not direct experience.

as I said,
Quote:

.. the cape is No wider than You are..
a High pressure cell tends to settle over the north pacific and it is drier than in the winter and early spring ..

Yea the whole PNW Coast cycling flow, is done north to south , keep the Sea on your right ,

that High pressure is rotating , CW. hence the following wind tendency..

Trek_CycleOps 06-01-14 10:36 AM

Rain poncho
 
You are right it would be hard to quantify, mostly just asking for experience. Even if the cape tends to be no wider than the riders body, it is still a full sheet being stretched between the head down to the arms like a sail. That is going to put more resistance there. Also to get a little technical, it will increase the amount of sidewinder you catch while riding too. The wind no longer cuts between your arms and torso, it gets caught in the cape.

So I still stand by the question, of the people who have used the capes, how did it affect your ride? Does it make it plausible or even pleasant to bike in the rain? Did it turn you into a sail that the wind pushes around?

fietsbob 06-01-14 11:27 AM

I've been fine .. Grunden's made for Rivendale Rain cape . in some really heavy Winter Squalls on The NW Coast.

Hands stay dry too, never had that with all the gloves I've tried, they always are wet sooner or later.


bike : an IGH hub ( Linear grip shifting sequence)..and the lights mounted low so cape wont drape over them ..


the wind flows over a wing, thats how they fly ..

Bandera 06-01-14 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trek_CycleOps (Post 16810921)
So I still stand by the question, of the people who have used the capes, how did it affect your ride? Does it make it plausible or even pleasant to bike in the rain? Did it turn you into a sail that the wind pushes around?

It's been quite a while since I've used a rain cape on tour but I don't recall it being a problem w/ wind and it kept me dry (enough).
Panniers, handlebar bag & mudguards all add quite a bit of surface area for wind to push against so a good stable frame design is useful before ducking under the cape anyway.

Last week we had a rare several days of rain and I was the only cyclist that I saw out riding despite the weather.
Naturally w/ full mudguards & my Carradice cape.

-Bandera


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:26 AM.