Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    East to West in progress

    Hey all,

    So it's been two weeks out since I started the trip. You can view the nuts and bolts of it on my blog at Manual Pedal. It's been going great and have been camping in National/ State and some stealth camping. However, today I ran out of food and fuel and had to ride north from my where I was located near Blue Ridge Pkwy. I took US11 (Lee Hwy) which put me in Waynesboro, Va. I'm now located in a hotel for restock and off day. Wanted some help on getting back to my route besides taking US 11 South. Here are two images... The first is where I'm located and the second is where I'd like to be which would take out a huge chuck of my route putting me closer to my next one. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Route_Change_02.jpg

    Route_Change.jpg


    -Dwayne

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Jackson, NH
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that Sherando Lake Recreation Area you're trying to get to? Take S Wayne Ave out of Waynesboro, becomes Lyndhurst Rd, becomes VA 664. Backtrack to Coal Rd or 610/608 to get back to TransAm at Vesuvius. Or you can connect to VA 814/ Love Rd to climb back to Blue Ridge Parkway.
    http://goo.gl/1sMwae
    http://goo.gl/3Wty1N

    I rode 664, 610/608 from Vesuvius to Waynesboro a few years back. Nice, easy country roads the whole way through the valley. It's a short day directly from Waynesboro to Vesuvius and beyond through the valley if you don't want to return to the BRP.

    Coal Rd appears to be gravel, 610/608 may be the better choice.

    http://goo.gl/Zv7Yqi
    Last edited by BobG; 05-31-14 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Coal Rd

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobG View Post
    Is that Sherando Lake Recreation Area you're trying to get to? Take S Wayne Ave out of Waynesboro, becomes Lyndhurst Rd, becomes VA 664. Backtrack to Coal Rd or 610/608 to get back to TransAm at Vesuvius. Or you can connect to VA 814/ Love Rd to climb back to Blue Ridge Parkway.
    http://goo.gl/1sMwae
    http://goo.gl/3Wty1N

    I rode 664, 610/608 from Vesuvius to Waynesboro a few years back. Nice, easy country roads the whole way through the valley. It's a short day directly from Waynesboro to Vesuvius and beyond through the valley if you don't want to return to the BRP.

    Coal Rd appears to be gravel, 610/608 may be the better choice.

    http://goo.gl/Zv7Yqi

    Thanks much for the help... Is there a way to get closer to Greenville or Mallard Duck? It sucks I went back north on my route. I cleared the Blue Ridge Pkwy already and see no need to ride it again at least for now. I spent the majority of the day on it two days ago. Any help getting to this location pictured?

    Route_Change_03.jpg

  4. #4
    Senior Member JimF22003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northern VA
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Posts
    2,633
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not exactly sure, where you're coming from or want to go from your maps, but from Waynesboro to Vesuvius is pretty straightforward:

    wb ves - Waynesboro, VA

    Most of this is very pretty road too. If you're following the Trans Am you'll be going through Lexington soon, where I just bought a house (haven't closed yet.) Welcome to the neighborhood!
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimF22003 View Post
    I'm not exactly sure, where you're coming from or want to go from your maps, but from Waynesboro to Vesuvius is pretty straightforward:

    wb ves - Waynesboro, VA

    Most of this is very pretty road too. If you're following the Trans Am you'll be going through Lexington soon, where I just bought a house (haven't closed yet.) Welcome to the neighborhood!
    Thanks guys, this is perfect and actually just finished drawing it in Basecamp. I'll load it on my GPS later. Just pretty much looking for the safer roads to ride instead of Lee Hwy (U.S. 11) which I found sorta dangerous riding today. But this will do just fine.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Jackson, NH
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to go on Route 11. Just continue where Jim's map ends on VA 608, S River Road. Mallard Duck CG is just a few miles ahead. I've modified my Google map to match Jim's and to avoid previously suggested Coal Rd.

    http://goo.gl/pnoys5

    edit: If you're carrying the ACA TransAm maps you will now be on map 142 at Vesuvius.
    Last edited by BobG; 06-01-14 at 03:28 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobG View Post
    No need to go on Route 11. Just continue where Jim's map ends on VA 608, S River Road. Mallard Duck CG is just a few miles ahead. I've modified my Google map to match Jim's and to avoid previously suggested Coal Rd.

    http://goo.gl/pnoys5

    edit: If you're carrying the ACA TransAm maps you will now be on map 142 at Vesuvius.
    Great! I used the two combined for mine in Garmin Basecamp. Thanks again guys, really appreciate the help. Keep pushing the pedal and stay safe while doing so.

    Best

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •