Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hard chrome for chromoly frame. Who has had it done? Is it worth it?

    My Bianchi Volpe gets constant bombardment of small stones flung by passing cars.The down tube and BB housing also get pelting road pebbles, courtesey of the front wheel. I would like to hard chrome the frame. Is it worth the investment? I have zero knowledge of metallurgy, and fear the process may harm the characteristic of chromoly frame. Any advice will be much appreciated.

  2. #2
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelinthai View Post
    My Bianchi Volpe gets constant bombardment of small stones flung by passing cars.The down tube and BB housing also get pelting road pebbles, courtesey of the front wheel. I would like to hard chrome the frame. Is it worth the investment? I have zero knowledge of metallurgy, and fear the process may harm the characteristic of chromoly frame. Any advice will be much appreciated.
    If you are just trying to protect the frame buy some clear tape and apply it to the affected areas. It's easy, cheap and has no affect on the bike. It can also be removed and/or replaced as desired down the road.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Gaseous Cloud around Uranus
    Posts
    3,483
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard chrome is normally used for abrasion resistance(bearing surfaces),it's not all that chip resistant.

    Clear tape is a good idea if localized damage is what's happening.

    For overall protection,powder coat is pretty good or use a flex agent in your next paint job(that's what's in plastic bumper paint on cars so it doesn't chip and flake during movement) I've seen race cars mangled with that paint...Paint still intact.
    Last edited by Booger1; 08-06-14 at 12:50 PM.
    Everything should be as simple as possible...But not more so.---Albert Einstein

  4. #4
    __________ seeker333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,703
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fenders

  5. #5
    Senior Member Doug64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,682
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Booger1 View Post
    Hard chrome is normally used for abrasion resistance(bearing surfaces),it's not all that chip resistant............

    For overall protection,powder coat is pretty good or use a flex agent in your next paint job(that's what's in plastic bumper paint on cars so it doesn't chip and flake during movement) I've seen race cars mangled with that paint...Paint still intact.
    +1 I had a bike with chrome fork tips and rear dropouts. While it is more durable than paint, it did chip.

    I've also had a new fork for my 2007 Volpe powder coated. The new fork was a 2014(blue) , and I wanted a color more compatible with the 2007 (green). The reason for the new fork was to gain additional bar height, and I got a new Volpe fork with an uncut steerer tube at a very reasonable price. As an additional bonus, the new fork has all the braze-ons, two on the dropouts and mid-fork blades. While I have not given it much hard use yet, it seems like a very tough finish.

    You can also coat the rock chips with clear fingernail polish to prevent corrosion, or a coat of auto wax.


  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vik View Post
    If you are just trying to protect the frame buy some clear tape and apply it to the affected areas. It's easy, cheap and has no affect on the bike. It can also be removed and/or replaced as desired down the road.
    Ah! thank you. Why didn't I think Of that .

    Thank you Booger1.

  7. #7
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,400
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spray on Bedliner would be rubbery, so stuff may bounce off .. Powder coating is prettier ..

    places where Hard Chrome has been used , is for cylinder bores in air cooled engines ,
    rather than a thicker steel liner.. Moto Guzzi Motorcycles , Johnsred chainsaws come to mind..
    Last edited by fietsbob; 08-08-14 at 11:04 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •