Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-14, 01:22 PM   #1
raybo
Bike touring webrarian
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.
Posts: 1,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any one use wool biking shorts?

I'm a complete convert to wool cycling jerseys.

Does anyone use wool cycling shorts? By that, I mean shorts with a wool chamois like this?

If you have, do you have to wash it every day or can it be worn day after day without smell or discomfort?
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 02:46 PM   #2
hueyhoolihan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
Bikes: 7⃥ 9 road bikes
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
from wikipedia:

"A cilice /ˈsɪlɨs/ was originally a garment or undergarment made of coarse cloth or animal hair (a hairshirt) worn close to the skin. It was used in some religious traditions to induce discomfort or pain as a sign of repentance and atonement."

enough said.
hueyhoolihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 03:22 PM   #3
nun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
Posts: 3,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I wear merino boxers with a pad and nylon shorts over them. I've found synthetic jerseys to be far more practical than wool ones for weight, packed volume and speed of drying.
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 03:24 PM   #4
seeker333
__________
 
seeker333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Bikes: yes!
Posts: 3,168
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I regularly use inexpensive wool socks and hats, but I'm too cheap to spring for fancy cyclewear.

I was unaware wool could be molded into the linked, pictured chamois. That chamois is likely some kind of rubber like most every other chamois, with some sort of fibrous covering, which could possibly be wool. Don't see how the cover matters much if in fact a large part of your nether region is covered in a somewhat non-porous, non-breathable material.

I've been riding in these shorts for at least 5 years. I buy them when there's a 10% off + free ship promotion. They don't really stink much after riding. You can hand wash them in a sink, wring them out good and they'll dry quickly turned inside-out.

Men's Pro Bike Shorts for cycling comfort and bicycle riding
seeker333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 03:27 PM   #5
RPK79
Senior Member
 
RPK79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE MN
Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Fuji Track Classic
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo View Post
I'm a complete convert to wool cycling jerseys.

Does anyone use wool cycling shorts? By that, I mean shorts with a wool chamois like this?

If you have, do you have to wash it every day or can it be worn day after day without smell or discomfort?
RPK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 05:50 PM   #6
BigAura
 
BigAura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chapin, SC
Bikes: surly LHT, paris sport fixed, trek 5000, fuji ss
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan View Post
from wikipedia:

"A cilice /ˈsɪlɨs/ was originally a garment or undergarment made of coarse cloth or animal hair (a hairshirt) worn close to the skin. It was used in some religious traditions to induce discomfort or pain as a sign of repentance and atonement."

enough said.
100% incorrect --> with respect to merino wool
BigAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 06:10 PM   #7
mdilthey
Senior Member
 
mdilthey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 1,654
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Merino Wool is a pretty great material. Very comfy, very smell-resistant. I use Icebreaker cycling shorts, and there's lycra underneath my butt so the wool doesn't wear a hole after a few hundred rides. Three years and they're still going strong.

Unfortunately, Icebreaker ended the cycling line, but Ibex still makes lots of wool cycling shorts which can often be found on sale.
mdilthey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 06:12 PM   #8
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,238
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
The older style shorts were wool with a real chamois in them. That's the kind my father wore for years. They were, apparently, quite comfortable and durable, but the cleaning and care could be challenging.

It might take some hunting, but you can probably find them.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 06:22 PM   #9
Bandera 
Ding!
 
Bandera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas Hill Country
Bikes:
Posts: 3,967
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo View Post
Does anyone use wool cycling shorts?
"Back when" woolen cycling shorts & natural chamois are what we had, they were quite comfortable in cool weather but we were forced to use them in sweltering heat in the USA, not optimal. When synthetics came in in the 80's we all converted immediately, there was no advantage to woolen shorts over the new kit. Having woolen shorts w/ a natural chamois was like having several ill-mannered pets as far as care was concerned, a tedious endless chore.

No more sodden shorts in the rain, hand washing, applying chamois-goo/misshapen/sandpaper chamois or baggy fit, good riddance!

The requirements for cycling jerseys & shorts are quite different, as should be apparent to anyone who can tell the difference between buttocks and their shoulders.

-Bandera
__________________
'74 Raleigh International - '77 Trek TX900FG - '92 Vitus 979 - '10 Merckx EMX-3- '11 Soma Stanyan

Last edited by Bandera; 08-07-14 at 06:34 AM.
Bandera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 07:20 PM   #10
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,462
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Chamois is a goat . Chamois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 07:31 PM   #11
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,630
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Correct, also down the page the page.......the thing I used to dry the car with..........

Chamois leather
Chamois leather, traditionally made from the hide of the chamois, is very smooth and absorbent and is favoured in cleaning, buffing, and polishing because it produces no scratching. Modern chamois leather may be made from chamois hides, but hides of deer or domestic goats or sheep are commonly used, and cotton flannel can be used as a fake-chamois fabric, with similar qualities.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 07:36 PM   #12
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,462
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Met someone hunting them, in the Belgian Ardennes ..


had some shorts like OP asked about , in the early 70's..
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 07:39 PM   #13
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,238
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Yes.

And wool shorts used to be wool for the main body of the shorts, with a chamois (leather hide of the particular goat) for you to sit on. It required a lot of special care to remain soft.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 10:52 PM   #14
Doug64
Senior Member
 
Doug64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 3,991
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
"Back when" woolen cycling shorts & natural chamois are what we had, they were quite comfortable in cool weather but we were forced to use them in sweltering heat in the USA, not optimal. When synthetics came in in the 80's we all converted immediately, there was no advantage to woolen shorts over the new kit. Having woolen shorts w/ a natural chamois was like having several ill-mannered pets as far as care was concerned, a tedious endless chore.

No more sodden shorts in the rain, hand washing, applying chamois-goo/misshapen/sandpaper chamois or baggy fit, good riddance!

The requirements for cycling jerseys & shorts are quite different, as should be apparent to anyone who can the difference between buttocks and their shoulders.

-Bandera
We used to wear lightweight wool jerseys and wool shorts year around. It has been a long time, but I still believe the wool shorts were cooler than lycra. A lot of us did not convert to the synthetics right away, especially the jerseys. The original synthetic jerseys were hot and "sticky", and not very comfortable. Like I said, it has been a long time but, I don't remember wool shorts or jerseys be much of a problem. Just rub a little Noxema into the chamois and you were good to go.
Doug64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 11:45 PM   #15
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,238
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug64 View Post
We used to wear lightweight wool jerseys and wool shorts year around. It has been a long time, but I still believe the wool shorts were cooler than lycra. A lot of us did not convert to the synthetics right away, especially the jerseys. The original synthetic jerseys were hot and "sticky", and not very comfortable. Like I said, it has been a long time but, I don't remember wool shorts or jerseys be much of a problem. Just rub a little Noxema into the chamois and you were good to go.
We still wear wool jerseys. What's old is new again. Retro is the fashion now.

Rowan and I have a collection of 3 (I think) short-sleeved wool jerseys which are quite comfortable to temps in the high 20s.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-14, 06:25 AM   #16
Bandera 
Ding!
 
Bandera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas Hill Country
Bikes:
Posts: 3,967
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug64 View Post
It has been a long time, but I still believe the wool shorts were cooler than lycra. Just rub a little Noxema into the chamois and you were good to go.
Memory fades...
You must not have been racing in South Central Texas, woolen shorts were quite comfortable in cool weather but not 100F+ for me.

Preventing saddle sores requires clean shorts. "Back when" woolen cycling shorts w/ a natural chamois were "hand wash" only.
Instead of tossing kit in the washing machine on gentle/cold and letting dry overnight one would be washing each item by hand in the sink, letting it line dry (eventually) and massaging the chamois-potion of choice into each item. A tedious and thankless task that took time away from bike maintenance or watching Starsky & Hutch on the B&W TV.

Fit in a woolen cycling short was less precise compared to the multi-panel synthetics, and liable to shrink/stretch/bag due to the quality of care mentioned above.
Ill fitting shorts w/ a lumpy chamois on a long hard ride.....no thanks.

Woolen shorts sagging when soaked in rainwater are not a fond memory either, give me modern quality bibs.

Your memory may vary.

-Bandera
__________________
'74 Raleigh International - '77 Trek TX900FG - '92 Vitus 979 - '10 Merckx EMX-3- '11 Soma Stanyan
Bandera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-14, 09:28 AM   #17
stevnim
Senior Member
 
stevnim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St Louis Park, MN
Bikes: 2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker & 2014 Brompton M6R
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At least one manufacturer still produces 100% merino washable wool shorts with a leather chamois pad option. They have two designs of shorts and one bib design. Wool Shorts Traditional Kucharik
stevnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-14, 10:26 AM   #18
mdilthey
Senior Member
 
mdilthey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 1,654
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Wearing wool shorts does not mean you HAVE to use a leather chamois. Not saying the leather doesn't work, but my wool biking shorts have a synthetic chamois and a bit of lycra on the contact points for durability.
mdilthey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-14, 01:03 PM   #19
Doug64
Senior Member
 
Doug64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 3,991
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Memory fades...
You must not have been racing in South Central Texas, woolen shorts were quite comfortable in cool weather but not 100F+ for me.

Preventing saddle sores requires clean shorts. "Back when" woolen cycling shorts w/ a natural chamois were "hand wash" only.
Instead of tossing kit in the washing machine on gentle/cold and letting dry overnight one would be washing each item by hand in the sink, letting it line dry (eventually) and massaging the chamois-potion of choice into each item. A tedious and thankless task that took time away from bike maintenance or watching Starsky & Hutch on the B&W TV.

Fit in a woolen cycling short was less precise compared to the multi-panel synthetics, and liable to shrink/stretch/bag due to the quality of care mentioned above.
Ill fitting shorts w/ a lumpy chamois on a long hard ride.....no thanks.

Woolen shorts sagging when soaked in rainwater are not a fond memory either, give me modern quality bibs.

Your memory may vary.

-Bandera
You are probably right, the Pacific North West has a little more temperate climate. It has been awhile, early 1970's. I raced when black shorts and white socks were a requirement.
Doug64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-14, 01:56 PM   #20
Dfrost 
Senior Member
 
Dfrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pacific Northwest
Bikes: '87 Marinoni, '79 Miyata 912, Wife's New IF Custom, Redline
Posts: 644
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I bought some Ibex wool bib shorts a few months ago, and have worn them several times. They seem to have a wool covered "chamois" of modern shape with variable thickness. They're quite comfy, although not as compressive around the thighs as the Pearl Izumi bibs that I also like. I'll wear them more when the weather cools a bit, but this thread might get me to try them tomorrow to see how they feel when it's warm (by PNW standards).
Dfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:49 PM.