Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New GIANT FCR....is it OK for touring?

    I am looking at a FCR2 by Giant to get in the near future. I am intrigued by how well this bike is built... in my opinion. What do you think in terms of wheel size and design? Is a potential touring bike or it can be modified for that purpose.
    http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/030....sp?model=11029
    700x25 are they comfortable for long rides? Can you install paniers? How wide can you go on wheels with this bike?

  2. #2
    Older I get, Better I was velonomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Schenectady NY & Wilmington NC
    My Bikes
    a bunch of them, most made by me, a couple made by others
    Posts
    1,630
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can tour on anything if you compromise and spend enough. You could make the Giant suitable for touring, you would just need a different crank and or cassette,wheels tires, probaly a different handle bar or maybe just barends , to get comfortable you will probaly be buying a new saddle. your $770 has now become about $1050- $1200

    Here is an example of a bike for a little less money, more versatile . you can tour on it right out of the box ,the crankset is still geared a bit high IMO,but the cassette has a 32T low gear to compensate
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/05_aurora.html#

  3. #3
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,887
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velonomad
    You can tour on anything if you compromise and spend enough. You could make the Giant suitable for touring, you would just need a different crank and or cassette,wheels tires, probaly a different handle bar or maybe just barends , to get comfortable you will probaly be buying a new saddle. your $770 has now become about $1050- $1200

    Here is an example of a bike for a little less money, more versatile . you can tour on it right out of the box ,the crankset is still geared a bit high IMO,but the cassette has a 32T low gear to compensate
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/05_aurora.html#
    Or you could look at the Fuji Touring. Price is just a little higher and you would need to make fewer changes. Would do good service with no changes at all.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velonomad
    You can tour on anything if you compromise and spend enough. You could make the Giant suitable for touring, you would just need a different crank and or cassette,wheels tires, probaly a different handle bar or maybe just barends , to get comfortable you will probaly be buying a new saddle. your $770 has now become about $1050- $1200

    Here is an example of a bike for a little less money, more versatile . you can tour on it right out of the box ,the crankset is still geared a bit high IMO,but the cassette has a 32T low gear to compensate
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/05_aurora.html#
    Agreed.

    The Giant looks more like a "street bike" hybrid and not really designed for touring. I have the 2001 Aurora and the crankset and brakes are the only thing wrong. The Reynolds 525 frame is solid.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds good; this thing with cranks and wheel sets is off my head. I have not thought about that... five minutes in the parking lot was all I could do on the Giant. Thanks for advice. What changes you would do on a Fuji or an Aurora? Again, cranks and gears are not my strogest cup of tea!!!!! At least I have an idea to start with!

  6. #6
    Senior Member stokell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    On the Road
    My Bikes
    Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere
    Posts
    1,260
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might add that I have a Giant hybrid and I'm constantly popping spokes. I think one of the reasons is they don't have enough of them on the wheel. My tourer has 32. Some wags suggest more.

    Also that aluminum frame is brutal and you would also have to change the bars if you wanted to do any distance.

  7. #7
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,887
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by next61
    That sounds good; this thing with cranks and wheel sets is off my head. I have not thought about that... five minutes in the parking lot was all I could do on the Giant. Thanks for advice. What changes you would do on a Fuji or an Aurora? Again, cranks and gears are not my strogest cup of tea!!!!! At least I have an idea to start with!
    As the Fuji sits, I would just ride it. It does have gears that are too tall for most people's taste but they work well enough. If you were going to go for a month long tour, you might want to change the chainrings (it's an easy change) to a 48/38/24. This gives you a good high that's won't bust your knees but allows for some speed on downhills, a good moderate midrange gearing and a good bailout gear. If you are just going to ride it around town for commuting or recreation, don't change anything unless it wears out.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are great, thanx for all your great info; I'll take my time and do some more research. Now that I think a little bit more, a wider wheel it would be helpful (not like a MB)... for those times when you just take dirt roads. There is any MB that you can use for touring and not mess with shocks and have a bigger wheel? I'm just thinking about the weight that you carry and the fact that MB parts would be more resistant? Did anybody found a compromise? I remember in Eastern Europe, twenty years ago Russian bikes where made like a road bike(sort of) but wheels where wider!

  9. #9
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,887
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by next61
    You guys are great, thanx for all your great info; I'll take my time and do some more research. Now that I think a little bit more, a wider wheel it would be helpful (not like a MB)... for those times when you just take dirt roads. There is any MB that you can use for touring and not mess with shocks and have a bigger wheel? I'm just thinking about the weight that you carry and the fact that MB parts would be more resistant? Did anybody found a compromise? I remember in Eastern Europe, twenty years ago Russian bikes where made like a road bike(sort of) but wheels where wider!
    Looking at my daughter's Fuji, I think you could get 37 or 41mm tires in there. You might not be able to use fenders but it would make for a good ride. I rode 37 on the Katy Trail in Missouri in 2003 and really liked the ride.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm getting a FCR4 next week. The tires on it are 700x28c if that helps. Any ideas on what size gears in back for touring? I'm also told by my LBS that it has all the holes for things like racks and such for touring. You might want to check it out?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The FCR4 has a rear cassette with 12T-28T and a 30/42/52 front sprockets that sound to me what the other guys are saying to get, unless I've got it all backwards and such? Also has a price of $440. Will have mine in the next 2 weeks!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was told also has room for fenders!?

  13. #13
    Senior Member biodiesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just tour lite.
    you don't need 4 heavy bags to tour.

    how long do you want to be gone?
    overnight. one change of clothes and a motel.
    two nights. not much more
    three nights, a seatpost rack and bag
    more is less. less is more.

  14. #14
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,887
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biodiesel
    just tour lite.
    you don't need 4 heavy bags to tour.

    how long do you want to be gone?
    overnight. one change of clothes and a motel.
    two nights. not much more
    three nights, a seatpost rack and bag
    more is less. less is more.
    Depends on where you are traveling. Between Souix City, Iowa, Council Bluffs, IA and St. Josephs, MO, places to stay and places to get food are far and few between. There are dozens of little towns but they no longer have services. The Wally Worlds at the aforementioned cities have kind of an anthill effect on these towns. They grab all the business from the little towns until there isn't anything left. I ended up having to carry 5 days of food on my tour of the Misery River Valley a couple of years ago. If I didn't, I would have had to eat road kill.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently after seeing my FCR4 it may not have room for fenders. Will have to wait and see this Tuesday the 3rd when i pick it up!

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just received my FCR4 and it's a nice bike, I think. The tires are 700-28 with shrader valves by the way. It has the holes for racks, panniers and such.Back yoke tires may be able to be 1/2 wider or so. Only thing that might be is brake clearance problems?I don't see why it wouldn't make a nice tourer, do you?

    If it ain't broke, you ain't trying hard enough! - Red Green

  17. #17
    Senior Member stokell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    On the Road
    My Bikes
    Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere
    Posts
    1,260
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scubajim
    I just received my FCR4 and it's a nice bike, I think. The tires are 700-28 with shrader valves by the way. It has the holes for racks, panniers and such.Back yoke tires may be able to be 1/2 wider or so. Only thing that might be is brake clearance problems?I don't see why it wouldn't make a nice tourer, do you?
    Are we taking about this bike (from the original post)?
    http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/030....sp?model=11029

    It only seems to have 10 spokes per wheel and is being sold as an 'training and fitness' bike. I'm no expert and I don't know what kind of touring you are thinking of, but adding fenders and a pannier rack doesn't make it a touring bike in my opinion.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like at least 32 spokes to me! Will have my bike in the morning. Have rode it and will ride the heck out of it in the morning!

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The FCR4 has 32 spokes. Yes, it's the same bike originally posted. I love the **** out of my FCR4.25 miles averaging 11.5 mph seems like nothing compared to my comfort Sedona. Turns 18 min rides into 11 min rides.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wheels are probably the most important component on a touring bike

    ask your lbs about your wheels, ask him if he would guarantee their performance up to a certain weight (you+maximum load), then go out load up the bike and test it real good, try a few curbs too, but you might need as much as 100 miles to feel sure about the wheels

    best bet, go for heavy double wall constructions and lots of spoke wheels

    but, don't sweat too much, i've toured long distance with a $275 Specialize Crossroad hybrid circa 1994. other than the load issue with the rear wheel, it was absolutely fine

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does have double walls and 32 spokes instead of 10. Put 30 miles on mine today and it feels really good. If I can just get used to these bumpy a** roads!

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tires are 700-28cm. Yes, it has the threaded holes for front and rear panniers. I enjoy the heck out of mine. Although have only had it for a few days. I think it is a very nice bike. Go for it!


    If it ain't broke, you ain't trying hard enough! - Red Green

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeap, I got the FCR 2..... last week. Sweet bike! This week I will explore the paniers mounting on it!

  24. #24
    Senior Member edp773's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Illinios
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Posts
    1,143
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scubajim
    I'm getting a FCR4 next week. The tires on it are 700x28c if that helps. Any ideas on what size gears in back for touring? I'm also told by my LBS that it has all the holes for things like racks and such for touring. You might want to check it out?
    I would suggest a SRAM 11-32 rear cassette. If you do not have many hills, then ride it as it is and change when the sprockets wear ouy.
    Born Again Bicyclist! I found my Faith.

    Giant Cypress, GF Wahoo, Trek 7.3FX, Schwinn Sprint

  25. #25
    The Recycled Cycler markwebb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    My Bikes
    Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !
    Posts
    2,382
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would lead you to conclude this bike is well built - it looks like everyone else's generic aluminum bike manufactured at some nondescrip factory in Asia.

    Someone else recommended the Jamis - that choice would seem to be a much better option. The Jamis would probably also be a much better long distance ride as the miles pile up - you'll feel less fatigued riding the Jamis IMHO.

    Have fun - the hunt is part of the excitement. Let us know what you decide. Any cycling is better than no cycling !

    Quote Originally Posted by next61
    I am looking at a FCR2 by Giant to get in the near future. I am intrigued by how well this bike is built... in my opinion. What do you think in terms of wheel size and design? Is a potential touring bike or it can be modified for that purpose.
    http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/030....sp?model=11029
    700x25 are they comfortable for long rides? Can you install paniers? How wide can you go on wheels with this bike?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •