Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Car magnet
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Savannah, Georgia
    My Bikes
    80's Hoffy track frame 49x15, 80's guerciotti track 47x15(destroyd by a car), '78 ross conversion(RIP, died of old age), '06 fuji track(RIP, hit by a trolley), '75 Alan Aluminum(in the works)
    Posts
    435
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Zipp 3000 tri spoke



    I just recently won a Zipp 3000 tri-spoke wheel on ebay with the conclusion that it will go for pretty cheap since it had no hub and it was discontinued about 12 years ago. I was right....

    so now i have a problem.

    Where do i find a hub to fit this beast? i've contacted zipp and they no longer produce nor can replace the axle assembly/hub parts in it. I contacted HED, hoping maybe that there were some similarities in their hub design because they shared the patent for the tri-spoke with zipp, but that was also a dud. I'm still waiting to hear back from Corima and sheldon brown.

    but does anybody know anything to help me out, or point me in the right direction?...

    or am i going to have to make a clock out of this thing?
    "That thing is a death trap"

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Valiant
    Fence post tubing?
    We need to clone people like you.

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without seeing a closeup of the hole where the axel should go, I am just talking out my you know what, but... I wonder if an axle from an old bullseye hub would work in there. Those axle were very simple, and flexible with the width. If the wheel has a flange in it to keep the bearing from moving sideways, I see no reason that it would not work. Just get a bearing that has an OD of the hole in the hub and an ID of the axel, and go crazy. I am assuming that this is a front wheel.

  3. #3
    Car magnet
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Savannah, Georgia
    My Bikes
    80's Hoffy track frame 49x15, 80's guerciotti track 47x15(destroyd by a car), '78 ross conversion(RIP, died of old age), '06 fuji track(RIP, hit by a trolley), '75 Alan Aluminum(in the works)
    Posts
    435
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velmingrafter
    Without seeing a closeup of the hole where the axel should go, I am just talking out my you know what, but... I wonder if an axle from an old bullseye hub would work in there. Those axle were very simple, and flexible with the width. If the wheel has a flange in it to keep the bearing from moving sideways, I see no reason that it would not work. Just get a bearing that has an OD of the hole in the hub and an ID of the axel, and go crazy. I am assuming that this is a front wheel.

    This is what i was thinking as well, i do not have the wheel yet, it is being shipped to me, so i don't have any closeups.

    I asked sheldon brown about it, and he linked me to his axle and cartridge bearing parts section of his website, insinuating that i could use parts from there to make it work.

    Zipp also sent me the original design drawings for the hub and axle assembly today, so i could build the whole thing if i wanted to.
    "That thing is a death trap"

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Valiant
    Fence post tubing?
    We need to clone people like you.

  4. #4
    Senior Member CafeRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like somone should have done better research!

  5. #5
    48.15 circles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by metallo pesante
    ...or am i going to have to make a clock out of this thing?
    make it a clock...
    honestly though, if you have the design drawings and the money to burn, it most likely is a small amount of lathe work and a couple of cartridge bearings & axle. Find a CNC shop.

    Oh, Nimble also makes similar wheels, maybe one of their hubs could be modified to work, I dunno.

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by metallo pesante


    I just recently won a Zipp 3000 tri-spoke wheel on ebay with the conclusion that it will go for pretty cheap since it had no hub and it was discontinued about 12 years ago. I was right....

    so now i have a problem.

    Where do i find a hub to fit this beast? i've contacted zipp and they no longer produce nor can replace the axle assembly/hub parts in it. I contacted HED, hoping maybe that there were some similarities in their hub design because they shared the patent for the tri-spoke with zipp, but that was also a dud. I'm still waiting to hear back from Corima and sheldon brown.

    but does anybody know anything to help me out, or point me in the right direction?...

    or am i going to have to make a clock out of this thing?
    Hi Metallo

    I have the exact same wheel, though it's still in it's original condition (ie. black with white writing) complete with hub and gearset! Currently on a Ken Evans curved downtube Columbus track frame. I was going to sell as a complete bike, but will consider separating.

  7. #7
    aka mattio queerpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,405
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by porsche
    Hi Metallo

    I have the exact same wheel, though it's still in it's original condition (ie. black with white writing) complete with hub and gearset! Currently on a Ken Evans curved downtube Columbus track frame. I was going to sell as a complete bike, but will consider separating.
    that
    sounds
    beautiful.

    can we see some pictures?
    the hipster myth.

    i practice vagabondery.

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, here are some pics. Have never been able to find out much info about the frame...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Senior Member mtnbk3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sick
    hi

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to sell it. Have a guy coming today has offered me $350. He is really keen, calling and emailing me every day. I have been procrastinating... is it worth more?

  11. #11
    aka mattio queerpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,405
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's really unique. do you have more information on kenevans? mrwhite on this board (andy at www.fyxomatosis.com) can probably offer you more info on kenevans, but as for frame-specific information.... well, you're probably going to have to track down the prior owner, or go further back.
    the hipster myth.

    i practice vagabondery.

  12. #12
    the goal
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Brixton, London
    My Bikes
    Bob Jackson track
    Posts
    459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by porsche
    I was going to sell it. Have a guy coming today has offered me $350. He is really keen, calling and emailing me every day. I have been procrastinating... is it worth more?
    Definitely worth more. Those Mavic bars could go for a lot (maybe up to $80) on their own. I'm sure someone would pay around $200 for the back wheel. Could get $400-600 for the frame.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •