Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/)
-   -   Who makes 50mm or deeper tubular track wheels? (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/477646-who-makes-50mm-deeper-tubular-track-wheels.html)

Autobus 10-16-08 11:07 PM

Who makes 50mm or deeper tubular track wheels?
 
Ebay is full of road bike 50-90mm aero deep tubies, but I can seem to find any for the track.

Help?:thumb:

sideshow_bob 10-16-08 11:14 PM

Cane creek and Pro-Lite come to mind off the shelf for complete wheel builds.

Past this, I've seen people obtain Zipp 808 rims and build them to suit, I've also seen people get Planet-X 100mm rims and build to suit. Edge composites also do a nice 68mm rim.

I've used a set of X-treme 'Blades' recently which were fantastic while they lasted, I cracked both front and back on them, and apparently they are having production issues since moving fabrication to China.

Autobus 10-17-08 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sideshow_bob (Post 7681359)
Cane creek and Pro-Lite come to mind off the shelf for complete wheel builds.

Past this, I've seen people obtain Zipp 808 rims and build them to suit, I've also seen people get Planet-X 100mm rims and build to suit. Edge composites also do a nice 68mm rim.

I've used a set of X-treme 'Blades' recently which were fantastic while they lasted, I cracked both front and back on them, and apparently they are having production issues since moving fabrication to China.

Cane Creek adn Pro-lite. Got it thx :thumb:

Soil_Sampler 10-18-08 12:06 AM

I'm looking at these.

http://www.flitwheels.com/track.html

sideshow_bob 10-25-08 10:09 PM

i could be wrong, but looking at the road wheels (the track ones don't have an image), i'd say they are just building the wheels using 50mm gigantix rims. nothing wrong with that, thats what i replaced my x-tremes with when they failed (20/20 2 cross, cx-rays). they are okay, i just view them as being cheap and adequate. stiff enough for someone like me who's a mass start rider. if you are a 90+kg sprinter how stiff would they be? i don't know.

woodduck 10-27-08 07:35 PM

I have them with gigantix rims, high flange hubs and aerolites in one wheel and xrays in the other.

I am 90kg + and find them a bit flexy.

You can more or less hold the rim and flex it back and forth between the seat stays.

ok for riding but really not the stiffest thing out there for sprinting.

FLIT Christy 10-28-08 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodduck (Post 7744491)
I have them with gigantix rims, high flange hubs and aerolites in one wheel and xrays in the other.
I am 90kg + and find them a bit flexy.
You can more or less hold the rim and flex it back and forth between the seat stays.
ok for riding but really not the stiffest thing out there for sprinting.

Well i kow your not talking about our wheels. we have not yet shipped out any of our track wheels out. (but we are going to soon)

Quote:

i could be wrong, but looking at the road wheels (the track ones don't have an image), i'd say they are just building the wheels using 50mm gigantix rims. nothing wrong with that, thats what i replaced my x-tremes with when they failed (20/20 2 cross, cx-rays). they are okay, i just view them as being cheap and adequate. stiff enough for someone like me who's a mass start rider. if you are a 90+kg sprinter how stiff would they be? i don't know.
just to clarify. we do not use gigantix rims. and also, our track rims are not the same as our road rims. from the very start of the birth of our track rims, track racing was in mind. we also drill the rim differently because of our high flange, even dish, and spoke pattern. we have found that some modern carbon rims fail on the track because they are drilled for a road hub(uneven dish, low flange,radial front and radial NDS).

woodduck 10-28-08 10:31 PM

no they are not your wheels, they are put together in Australia.

my 50mm wheels I own have gigantix rims.

I actually don't know anything about yours, Ah I see what happened. I wrote "I have them with"

And I just meant track 50mm wheels, not ones from a link posted above.

They do the job well enough and are not very expensive, I train and do all club racing on them.

acorn_user 10-29-08 08:30 AM

Kazane
http://keirinculture.com/

Gipiemme make one too, but it's hard to find over anywhere...

FLIT Christy 10-29-08 12:36 PM

we just added our new track wheelset in our bike forums group buy!
http://www.bikeforums.net/group-buy/481288-official-flit-zephyr-group-buy.html

check out our webpage, our wheels got on podium at elite track nationals.

vmajor 11-01-08 08:05 AM

Indeed, Pro-Lite has track wheels, the Rosa. We added them just now.

We are also adding the rest of our track catalogue including frames, cranks and handlebars. I hope to have this finished within the next 3-4 days.

V.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:27 PM.