Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-30-08, 09:32 PM   #1
Jay D
Human Powered Vehiclist
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest
Bikes:
Posts: 255
Would being on Finasteride disqualify me from racing?

Hey everybody,

I'm really interested in getting into track racking but I'm concerned that being on Finasteride (aka Proscar or Propecia) that I'm taking to prevent hair loss would disqualify me from racing in any major events if I eventually get good enough to do so. I don't want to train and get good at doing this only to be stone walled by the drugs I'm taking. Stopping the medication is not an option for me, I have a full head of hair and I intend on keeping it that way.

Any advice?
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-08, 10:10 PM   #2
zzzwillzzz
shut up and ride
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: noho
Bikes: supersix hi-mod,burley duet tandem,woodrup track,cannondale cross,specialized road
Posts: 1,947
advice?

there won't be any drug testing until you get to a very high level and even then it would only be at big national events. it's not even something to consider for you at this point, if ever
zzzwillzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 02:58 PM   #3
Richard Kennedy
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 44
If you're ever in any doubt over the legality of medication you should check with the relevant anti doping agency.
A quick online check of US Anti Doping Agency databasde reveals this:
http://www.usantidoping.org/dro/sear...DisciplineId=3

Sorry to report that Finasteride is banned both in and out of competition. So, if you get good on your bike you'll have to choose between your sport and your vanity.
Richard Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 03:11 PM   #4
Jay D
Human Powered Vehiclist
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest
Bikes:
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kennedy View Post
If you're ever in any doubt over the legality of medication you should check with the relevant anti doping agency.
A quick online check of US Anti Doping Agency databasde reveals this:
http://www.usantidoping.org/dro/sear...DisciplineId=3

Sorry to report that Finasteride is banned both in and out of competition. So, if you get good on your bike you'll have to choose between your sport and your vanity.
Bummer!

I wonder why it would be banned as it actually lowers my DHT levels? You would think that would put me at a disadvantage. Oh well, thanks for looking this up for me.
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 04:50 PM   #5
Rollfast
Not That Senior A Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Bikes:
Posts: 3,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D View Post
Bummer!

I wonder why it would be banned as it actually lowers my DHT levels? You would think that would put me at a disadvantage. Oh well, thanks for looking this up for me.
It's probably a hormone, stimulant or an agent that boosts levels of other substances deemed anti-competitive or harmful by that body.

REMEMBER, you can wear those neat cycling caps and you have to wear protective headgear!!!

As long as you are out racing and have a sponsor, it will be the coolest!

As long as you never look like the sorry woman who resembled the lead singer of the Scorpions...
Rollfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 05:44 PM   #6
wirehead
Senior Member
 
wirehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 317
Oh, it's banned because it can mask Steroid use, not because it'll do you any good.
wirehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 08:02 PM   #7
zzzwillzzz
shut up and ride
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: noho
Bikes: supersix hi-mod,burley duet tandem,woodrup track,cannondale cross,specialized road
Posts: 1,947
what track events in the u.s. have drug testing? not many i'm guessing.

the world cup: yes
nationals championships: yes
masters nationals:? don't know but guessing no
junior nationals:? don't know but guessing no
collegiate nationals:? don't know but guessing no

anyone know?
zzzwillzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 10:00 PM   #8
The Carpenter
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Orange County, California
Bikes:
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzwillzzz View Post
what track events in the u.s. have drug testing? not many i'm guessing.

the world cup: yes
nationals championships: yes
masters nationals:? don't know but guessing no
junior nationals:? don't know but guessing no
collegiate nationals:? don't know but guessing no

anyone know?
Junior Nationals has it for the 17-18 age group because it's the qualifier for Junior Worlds.
The Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 01:44 AM   #9
bitingduck
Senior Member
 
bitingduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzwillzzz View Post
what track events in the u.s. have drug testing? not many i'm guessing.

the world cup: yes
nationals championships: yes
masters nationals:? don't know but guessing no
junior nationals:? don't know but guessing no
collegiate nationals:? don't know but guessing no

anyone know?
never heard of there being testing at masters track nats, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea...

AFAIK, you have it right-- I don't know of any local/regional track events with testing.
__________________
Track - the other off-road
http://www.lavelodrome.org
bitingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 05:20 PM   #10
The Carpenter
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Orange County, California
Bikes:
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitingduck View Post
never heard of there being testing at masters track nats, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea...

AFAIK, you have it right-- I don't know of any local/regional track events with testing.
No way. It's too expensive.
The Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 07:23 PM   #11
bitingduck
Senior Member
 
bitingduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Carpenter View Post
No way. It's too expensive.
Yeah. Even for the T-town races with $$$.

And much more expensive than the testing is the legal action that follows a positive most of the time.
__________________
Track - the other off-road
http://www.lavelodrome.org
bitingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 05:46 PM   #12
Hermes 
Elite Rider
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitingduck View Post
never heard of there being testing at masters track nats, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea...

AFAIK, you have it right-- I don't know of any local/regional track events with testing.
I participated in Masters Nats this year at Hellyer and there was no drug testing. However, there was UCI technical inspection of bikes for physical compliance and weight.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Cat: Killer
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 07:53 PM   #13
bitingduck
Senior Member
 
bitingduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
I participated in Masters Nats this year at Hellyer and there was no drug testing. However, there was UCI technical inspection of bikes for physical compliance and weight.
I was there, too. Technical inspection is cheap...

I have heard various reports of things overheard and/or found in the infield to suggest that testing at the masters level would be a good thing.
__________________
Track - the other off-road
http://www.lavelodrome.org
bitingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:30 PM.