Originally Posted by bikesnbeer
Im looking to build up a track specific wheel set. I going to be using tubular tires. Im thinking of using campy record pista hubs.
Does anyone have any suggestions for rims and spokes that will work well together?
The post is kinda vague, I just want to hear a bunch of different options.
ps. I weight 160.
Yes, that post is vague. Sort of like asking, "I'm hungry. Want some dinner. Maybe something involving chicken."
There are LOTS
of off-the-rack track wheels that are a great bargain when compared to building them a-la-carte.
- Easton EA 90TKO (nice)
- Cane Creek Sprint 50 or 85 (nice)
- Cane Creek Volos
- Campagnolo Pista
- Campagnolo Ghibli
- Mavic Ellipse (tried and true)
- Mavic Comete + Mavic Io (WORLD CLASS)
- Zipp 404, 808, 900, 1080, Sub 9 (super nice, pro race spec)
- Planet X (can't recall the model name)
- Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon Track
- Formula or Novatec Hubs + Alex Crostini rims (standard pre-made wheels for bikes like Fuji Comp, Felt TK2 & TK3, etc...)
...and those are just off the top of my head.
Building custom wheels presents innumerable options. Asking for such a list is asking a lot. Unless you have a hub set that you are sentimental about, I say just buy a set like one listed above.
Last edited by carleton; 07-07-09 at 11:40 PM.