I am hoping to get some input about a question that I have been thinking over.
I currently have a track bike I ride on the street and now that I have moved to a location with a velodrome I want to get involved with that.
I am wondering what will make it easiest to get on the track and start riding.
To get by bike on the track I have to do a bunch of things:
1) Change my bars over to my drops
2) Change my pedals from clips and straps to my clipless pedals
3) Change out my cog (I ride 70 gear inches on the street) and doubt this will be enough
4) Lengthen my chain
So I have been trying to think over how to make this easiest/painless. So far I have come up with:
1) buy another chain to use with the new gear ratio so I don't have to break and unbreak the same chain
2) buy another wheelset (or just rear wheel) that I can leave the right cog on (my current wheel set is not fixed/fixed) (then i have to decide if my current set becomes track wheels or i build a new light set for the street or build a track set)
3) rent a bike from the track
4) just change everything every time I want to go to the track
I am sure I am not the first who has thought about this. I also don't want to buy a specific track bike at the moment.
Let me know what you guys/girls would recommend.
The bike in question:
Wheel set is fusions laced to formula hubs (32 spoke)