Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bridgestone / Anchor

    Anyone have any experience with this frame. The from is branded as Bridgestone in the states and Anchor in Japan. From what I can tell it looks like a pretty top end from. Equal, better or worst than the Felt TK3?

  2. #2
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,973
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clee327 View Post
    Anyone have any experience with this frame. The from is branded as Bridgestone in the states and Anchor in Japan. From what I can tell it looks like a pretty top end from. Equal, better or worst than the Felt TK3?
    Do you mean the Bridgstone/Anchor PHM9 high-modulus carbon fiber one? If so, that's much, much nicer than the TK3.



    The Bridgstone/Anchor carbon is considered a high-end track bike. The retail price is just under $4,000. I'm not saying that price means that it's worth that much, but it's a solid bike. It's one of my all-time favorites. Too bad the "Large" size is only a 56cm otherwise I'd probably have figured out a way to get one.

    The Felt TK3 is considered an entry level track bike.

  3. #3
    Fresh Garbage hairnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,833
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    **droooooooooool**
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    I'd rather ride a greasy bowling ball than one of those things.
    Bikerowave
    My Bikes

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that would be the one. and yes the size runs are somewhat small or I would probably have one too. At 6'6, 56cm wont to me any good. Just seems that there weren't many teams running it at UCI which seemed odd to me given what that frame offers.

  5. #5
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,973
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clee327 View Post
    that would be the one. and yes the size runs are somewhat small or I would probably have one too. At 6'6, 56cm wont to me any good. Just seems that there weren't many teams running it at UCI which seemed odd to me given what that frame offers.
    I think I may have seen a Japanese rider use one from time to time.

    I would imagine that there is some "fatal flaw" as to why it hasn't been adopted by those in high or the top ranks.
    - Maybe it's so expensive that there are better options in that price range
    - Maybe it's hard to find
    - Maybe it's noodley

  6. #6
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,973
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh and then there is the newer model that came out maybe a year ago (I think):


  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an updated size run of the bridgestone looks a little be better for the taller guys out there

    BRIDGESTONE - PHM9 - Carbon - Lime Green - 57cm
    $3,895.00

    High modulus carbon model made by Anchor Carbon in Japan. Available in black, blue, red, lime green (57cm in stock)and silver. Steerer options - threaded and no-thread. No-thread frames have Cane Creek aheadset supplied by Anchor.

    Geometry:
    53cm (S)
    Seat-tube (c-t): 53cm
    Seat-tube (c-c of top-tube): 48cm
    Top-tube (c-c): 52.5cm
    Head-tube Angle: 73.2
    Seat-tube Angle: 75.0
    Fork Rake: 38.0

    57cm (M)
    Seat-tube (c-t): 57cm
    Seat-tube (c-c of top-tube): 50cm
    Top-tube (c-c): 53.5cm
    Head-tube Angle: 73.3
    Seat-tube Angle: 74.5
    Fork Rake: 38.0

    62cm (L)
    Seat-tube (c-t): 62cm
    Seat-tube (c-c of top-tube): 53cm
    Top-tube (c-c): 55.5cm
    Head-tube Angle: 74.3
    Seat-tube Angle: 74.0
    Fork Rake: 38.0

  8. #8
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,973
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wonder if those sizes are for the older PHM9 or the new PHM9S or PHM9M.

  9. #9
    GONE~
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the geometries listed are for the older models with the extended seat tube, hence to huge difference in the ctc and ctt length.

  10. #10
    GONE~
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  11. #11
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the difference between the new PHM9S and PHM9M frames? Looking at the frame geo charts they do seem to run small. Hard to get info from the Anchor website since it is all in Japanese:

    http://www.anchor-bikes.com/bikes/phm9.html

    They do have some nice pics though. I'm partial to the 'dark silver' variation:


    Last edited by ponz; 05-03-11 at 10:39 PM.

  12. #12
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or the black, can't make up my mind which to get...


  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dark silver for sure, lets you appreciate the frame a little more... although the black does remind me of an SR71 bomber

  14. #14
    IRL Banhammer idiq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    666
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clee327 View Post
    Geometry:
    53cm (S)
    Seat-tube (c-t): 53cm
    Seat-tube (c-c of top-tube): 48cm
    Top-tube (c-c): 52.5cm
    Head-tube Angle: 73.2
    Seat-tube Angle: 75.0
    Fork Rake: 38.0

    57cm (M)
    Seat-tube (c-t): 57cm
    Seat-tube (c-c of top-tube): 50cm
    Top-tube (c-c): 53.5cm
    Head-tube Angle: 73.3
    Seat-tube Angle: 74.5
    Fork Rake: 38.0

    62cm (L)
    Seat-tube (c-t): 62cm
    Seat-tube (c-c of top-tube): 53cm
    Top-tube (c-c): 55.5cm
    Head-tube Angle: 74.3
    Seat-tube Angle: 74.0
    Fork Rake: 38.0
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why do so many of these "top end" (and top $$$) frames have such a lax HT angle? Or does it just not matter? One of the selling points for me to buy the 2009 T1 was the 74-degree HT angle... I thought that made a fairly large difference...
    saddle sores bike club | prepare to be rode

  15. #15
    commuter
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    San Diego, California
    My Bikes
    5 Colnago, 2 Olmo, Bianchi, 4 Austro-Daimler, Merlin, Fisher Tandem, John Waite track tandem, Schwinns, Steyrs, Bill Holland Ti path racer, Chinese prototype FS
    Posts
    445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Malaysian National Team rode these bikes a few years ago when a couple of them visited the U.S. Josiah Ng rode on the team. A rider I know has Josiah's old Anchor, complete with Sharpie autograph. Bummer of a name for a racing bike, though.

  16. #16
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, it would look much better in the 'Bridgestone' livery. In any case, these things are near impossible to actually buy. There's one guy selling them on ebay direct from Japan, but I can't find any US retailers.
    Last edited by ponz; 05-16-11 at 07:29 AM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member taras0000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idiq View Post
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why do so many of these "top end" (and top $$$) frames have such a lax HT angle? Or does it just not matter? One of the selling points for me to buy the 2009 T1 was the 74-degree HT angle... I thought that made a fairly large difference...
    If you're thinking that a steeper head tube angle makes for a quicker handling bicycle, you are only partially right. The handling of a bike is determined by the combination of HT angle, fork rake, trail, wheelbase, and Front-Center measurements.
    Taras - :noun. 1. Typically an overweight has-been that can sometimes be seen pootling around a velodrome on an old Look KG 233.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •