Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-01-12, 07:48 PM   #2601
JesusBananas
Banana-tastic!
 
JesusBananas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
like his budget matters. Carleton isn't a personal shopper.


+1 internet points for you.
JesusBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-12, 10:41 PM   #2602
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,015
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-12, 10:49 PM   #2603
JesusBananas
Banana-tastic!
 
JesusBananas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,974
Dear carleton,

I'm glad you've joined the cat gif dark side.

JesusBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-12, 10:55 PM   #2604
Nagrom_ 
SaltKing
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Bottom.
Bikes: CAAD Optimo Track
Posts: 10,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
that's racist!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
No offense but you're an idiot.
PedalRoom
Nagrom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 12:04 PM   #2605
ephin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 104
Dear Carleton,

I'm a 50yo commuter (6 yrs) who just started group riding 1 yr ago. Have a couple ss/fg bikes, hence my interest in this forum and I love all things bike. Am trying to get stronger (who isn't). Got a powermeter last year but haven't really gotten "scientific" about my training yet (I'm working toward that goal). My question is: I've noticed that my morning commute's avg heartrate is usually about 10-15 BPM faster than the evening commute. The avg power (and perceived intensity level) is usually about the same (if anything, the evening commute might be slightly more intense). What gives? How should I factor this in when I get to the point in training when I'm calculating zones based on HR and power? I'm pretty sure I have good heart rate variability and my heart rate recovers pretty fast (unlike when I first started riding and was out of shape).

Last edited by ephin; 06-06-12 at 12:09 PM.
ephin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 12:11 PM   #2606
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,523
Dear Carleton,

Can I blame you for listening to "It's not unsusual" at high volume?
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 12:34 PM   #2607
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Bikes:
Posts: 9,362
Dear Carleton, was Hilary really that fine in person?
himespau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 12:57 PM   #2608
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ephin View Post
Dear Carleton,

I'm a 50yo commuter (6 yrs) who just started group riding 1 yr ago. Have a couple ss/fg bikes, hence my interest in this forum and I love all things bike. Am trying to get stronger (who isn't). Got a powermeter last year but haven't really gotten "scientific" about my training yet (I'm working toward that goal). My question is: I've noticed that my morning commute's avg heartrate is usually about 10-15 BPM faster than the evening commute. The avg power (and perceived intensity level) is usually about the same (if anything, the evening commute might be slightly more intense). What gives? How should I factor this in when I get to the point in training when I'm calculating zones based on HR and power? I'm pretty sure I have good heart rate variability and my heart rate recovers pretty fast (unlike when I first started riding and was out of shape).
I could be the time of day.

I hate to cite Livestrong.com (they just rehash content created by other sites) but,: http://www.livestrong.com/article/50...nce-in-sports/

Quote:
If you are an elite athlete, the time of day you perform can be a critical factor in winning or losing. Most people are at their athletic peak, in terms of speed and strength, in the late afternoon and early evening. Most are at their lowest ebb around 6 a.m. You build up slowly during the day, peak around 6 p.m. and then decline throughout the night. However, there are ways athletes can change their training patterns to peak when it is time to compete.

and...

Quote:
Late Afternoon is Best for Exercise:
Research shows that the optimal time to exercise is when our body temperature is at its highest, which, for most people is 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. (body temperature is at its lowest just before waking).

Strength is Greater in the Afternoon:
Dr. Hill reported that strength output is 5% higher at around mid-day; anaerobic performance, such as sprinting, improves by 5% in the late afternoon.

Endurance is Greater in the Afternoon:
Aerobic capacity (endurance) is approximately 4percent higher in the afternoon.
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/a...ToExercise.htm
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 07:22 PM   #2609
Syscrush
Senior Member
 
Syscrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Very interesting!
Syscrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 10:18 AM   #2610
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory
 
prooftheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Bikes: FTP
Posts: 3,083
Carleton,
This is a personal question on the surface but its intent is to get a context for some of the answers you provide, e.g. in that thread about omniums: what category do you currently race in?
prooftheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 10:20 AM   #2611
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by prooftheory View Post
Carleton,
This is a personal question on the surface but its intent is to get a context for some of the answers you provide, e.g. in that thread about omniums: what category do you currently race in?
I race USA Cycling Category 2 for Track.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 02:05 PM   #2612
Adrian_
Senior Member
 
Adrian_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brooklyn,NY
Bikes:
Posts: 687
How long did it take for you to get to Cat 2?
Adrian_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 03:25 PM   #2613
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_ View Post
How long did it take for you to get to Cat 2?
About 17 months after taking the beginner class.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 03:27 PM   #2614
Nagrom_ 
SaltKing
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Bottom.
Bikes: CAAD Optimo Track
Posts: 10,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
About 17 months after taking the beginner class.
wow, thats impressive.

How closer are you to cat 1?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
No offense but you're an idiot.
PedalRoom
Nagrom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 06:07 PM   #2615
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
wow, thats impressive.

How closer are you to cat 1?
Not close at all.

Cat1 is basically Pro level without a contract.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 11:45 PM   #2616
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter
 
Jaytron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic
Posts: 4,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
About 17 months after taking the beginner class.
Wow that's really fast.
Jaytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 06:50 AM   #2617
broakland
Seņor Member
 
broakland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Oakland
Bikes: Fixie
Posts: 267
Carleton, with the newly built velodrome in London that has been receiving a lot of praise from the pros: is there going to be some good action to see in terms of track cycling in this summer olympics? If so: what should we be watching for? Any teams that will clearly stand out? Is there going to be a doping scandal for the media to feast on?

London 2012 Track Schedule:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yoojp.JPG (40.1 KB, 33 views)
broakland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 07:33 AM   #2618
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytron View Post
Wow that's really fast.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broakland View Post
Carleton, with the newly built velodrome in London that has been receiving a lot of praise from the pros: is there going to be some good action to see in terms of track cycling in this summer olympics? If so: what should we be watching for? Any teams that will clearly stand out? Is there going to be a doping scandal for the media to feast on?

London 2012 Track Schedule:
Yes, there will be some fast action. The British, Australian, and French teams will be the ones to watch for just about all events. The US Team has a women's Team Pursuit Team that is a favorite, too. No doping scandal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 10:30 AM   #2619
Kayce
Senior Member
 
Kayce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St Louis
Bikes:
Posts: 1,846
All the events, save one, are pretty easy to watch, persuits can get kind of boring but straightforward. the one that gets hard to watch is the points race in the omnium. With an anouncer it may be easier. But I have mostly watched them in German, which I don't speak.

The reason they are confusing that two ways to score points are in reference to the field, which is determained by the officials. It is also sometimes hard to figure out which group is the lead on the track and things.
Kayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 07:31 PM   #2620
Nagrom_ 
SaltKing
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Bottom.
Bikes: CAAD Optimo Track
Posts: 10,604
How much was the upcharge for the chrome finish on the Tiemeyer? Their website describes it as "modest" but doesn't actually give a monetary value.

Yours is chrome if I recall correctly. If it isn't, never mind this, unless you know by chance.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
No offense but you're an idiot.
PedalRoom
Nagrom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 07:33 PM   #2621
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
How much was the upcharge for the chrome finish on the Tiemeyer? Their website describes it as "modest" but doesn't actually give a monetary value.

Yours is chrome if I recall correctly. If it isn't, never mind this, unless you know by chance.
It was anodized. It's not possible to chrome plate aluminum.

I don't recall the amount of the extra charge. Maybe $200?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 07:35 PM   #2622
Nagrom_ 
SaltKing
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Bottom.
Bikes: CAAD Optimo Track
Posts: 10,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
It was anodized. It's not possible to chrome plate aluminum.

I don't recall the amount of the extra charge. Maybe $200?
By chromed I meant shiny, my bad. 200 ain't bad.

Does it look as good in person as it does in your pictures?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
No offense but you're an idiot.
PedalRoom
Nagrom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 07:36 PM   #2623
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
By chromed I meant shiny, my bad. 200 ain't bad.

Does it look as good in person as it does in your pictures?
Yes. Flawless.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 07:41 PM   #2624
Nagrom_ 
SaltKing
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Bottom.
Bikes: CAAD Optimo Track
Posts: 10,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Yes. Flawless.
cool. Thanks c-man.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
No offense but you're an idiot.
PedalRoom
Nagrom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 11:11 AM   #2625
Nagrom_ 
SaltKing
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Bottom.
Bikes: CAAD Optimo Track
Posts: 10,604
I contacted Mr. Tiemeyer about the anodized finish. I was sadly disappointed.

" Unfortunately, I discontinued the polished anodized finish because of quality control issues, but there is a powdercoat finish that comes close. See the attached image."



Doesn't quite have the same wow factor.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
No offense but you're an idiot.
PedalRoom
Nagrom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:10 PM.