Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/)
-   -   "Dear Carleton" (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/743918-dear-carleton.html)

andrizzle 07-01-11 04:56 PM

dear carleton,

what is your favorite documentary?

ps. i've read this entire thread, and i would like to say, i respect you for not being an ***.
pss. thank you for teaching me Godwin's law... so on the day, Carleton 1. ****** 0

i don't like flatwounds. i like roundwounds on all my electric basses. roundwounds on a fretless sound notorious.

oeuf 07-01-11 06:53 PM

Dear carleton,
I just started noticing some threads coming off my rear Gatorskin, no strange bulges at the moment, but a long strand running around the circumference is coming off in certain areas. Is it time for a new tire? Should I pull it off/cut it off and ride on? It's about a year old, and I only skid on it occasionally. Thanks.

docboyd 07-01-11 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherblock (Post 12868000)
Why do some track bikes have toe clips over the cleats? Is this like a back up safety mechanism so if they unclip they might be able to catch themselves?

I am no Carleton but your right in your assumption.

Sherblock 07-01-11 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docboyd (Post 12868956)
I am no Carleton but your right in your assumption.

why u no carleton.


But thanks, that was the only way it could make sense.

docboyd 07-01-11 08:22 PM

I'm pretty sure I learned that from Carleton lol and yea they aren't necessary just an added protection. There are plenty of pros that don't use them too.
Ex. Hoy no, other dudes yea
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200808/r282744_1201922.jpg

carleton 07-01-11 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docboyd (Post 12869147)
I'm pretty sure I learned that from Carleton lol and yea they aren't necessary just an added protection. There are plenty of pros that don't use them too.
Ex. Hoy no, other dudes yea
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200808/r282744_1201922.jpg

Actually...you aren't 100% right.

Chris Hoy attached the strap then puts the shoe covers over them :)

carleton 07-01-11 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davismatson10 (Post 12863575)
Dear Carleton,

I've seen people use a spacer between their stem and top cap with a carbon fork, and then talk about how it's important/good to do. But then I've seen way more people not do that...what do you think?

I think there should be at least a thin spacer between the top of the cap and the stem. This is because there has to be a gap between the top of the fork and the stem cap in order for the stem cap to pull the fork snugly into the stem via the top cap bolt. If there were no thin spacer on top that means the stem would clasp a few mm of nothing at the top.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryyando (Post 12864219)
Dear Carleton,

Is it possible to use a bmx headset on a fixed frame? I'm interested in putting one on an ftp. As far as I can tell they are 1 1/8th, integrated and are campy spec as is the ftp.

I'm not sure.

Just buy a BMX. It's not smart to use a frame that's designed to be light and only deal with forces in one direction for tricks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vw addict (Post 12865189)
I say yes to spacer, but I'm not carleton so who knows.

:)

carleton 07-01-11 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla (Post 12867923)
Dear Carleton - do you know of any liner shorts that have minimal padding?

I'm looking for a little cushion for longer rides but really don't like feeling like I'm wearing a diaper.

No, but I'm looking for some, too. I've been wearing team kits lately, but I'm thinking of not riding for a team next year.

I'm a lone wolf.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherblock (Post 12868000)
Why do some track bikes have toe clips over the cleats? Is this like a back up safety mechanism so if they unclip they might be able to catch themselves?

You are right in that it's a backup safety mechanism. Really strong guys can pull out of the grasp of some pedals. Especially during standing starts. I can pull out of Shimano and LOOK pedals. The strap is to keep the pedal/cleat engagement double-secure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrizzle (Post 12868369)
dear carleton,

what is your favorite documentary?

ps. i've read this entire thread, and i would like to say, i respect you for not being an ***.
pss. thank you for teaching me Godwin's law... so on the day, Carleton 1. ****** 0

i don't like flatwounds. i like roundwounds on all my electric basses. roundwounds on a fretless sound notorious.

Favorite Documentary? That's a good one. Let me think on that.

PS. Thanks.
PPS. No problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oeuf (Post 12868795)
Dear carleton,
I just started noticing some threads coming off my rear Gatorskin, no strange bulges at the moment, but a long strand running around the circumference is coming off in certain areas. Is it time for a new tire? Should I pull it off/cut it off and ride on? It's about a year old, and I only skid on it occasionally. Thanks.

It's probably fine. Part of the casing.

Squirrelli 07-01-11 09:00 PM

As for the spacer thing, I say yes...then no when your headset is full loaded then put the top cap back on.

http://cdn3.media.cyclingnews.future...r_bend_600.jpg

streetdude 07-01-11 09:02 PM

Dear Carleton,

Any tips for improving form? Is this a stupid question?

carleton 07-01-11 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by streetdude (Post 12869286)
Dear Carleton,

Any tips for improving form? Is this a stupid question?

What form? Pedaling?

carleton 07-01-11 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirrelli (Post 12869281)
As for the spacer thing, I say yes...then no when your headset is full loaded then put the top cap back on.

http://cdn3.media.cyclingnews.future...r_bend_600.jpg

Huh?

streetdude 07-01-11 09:13 PM

Yes, sorry.

carleton 07-01-11 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by streetdude (Post 12869320)
Yes, sorry.

1) Get a proper bike fitting. Your bike position may hinder your pedal stroke.

2) Use rollers, preferably with the big drums that provide lower resistance so high-cadence work doesn't hurt so much and you can work on form without getting tired as quickly. You'd be amazed at how you can dial-in your pedal stroke using rollers. You can relax so many muscles down to the bare minimum to pedal and stay on the bike.

Squirrelli 07-01-11 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 12869317)
Huh?

My bad...let me elaborate.

I use a spacer above my stem to preload the headset then I remove the spacer and put the cap back on.

carleton 07-01-11 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirrelli (Post 12869347)
My bad...let me elaborate.

I use a spacer above my stem to preload the headset then I remove the spacer and put the cap back on.

Got it. Yeah, that works, too.

hairnet 07-01-11 09:58 PM

The spacer is only needed if the steer tube is flush (or sticking out) with the top of the stem to pull the steer tube against the stem, as Carlton said.


Where is my Dear Hairnet thread? Why am I asking you?

carleton 07-01-11 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairnet (Post 12869483)
The spacer is only needed if the steer tube is flush (or sticking out) with the top of the stem to pull the steer tube against the stem, as Carlton said.


Where is my Dear Hairnet thread? Why am I asking you?

I'm waiting for Scrod to start it. Not sure.

hairnet 07-01-11 10:25 PM

How does it feel?

carleton 07-01-11 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairnet (Post 12869549)
How does it feel?

She makes me feel kinda funny, like when we used to climb the rope in gym class.

docboyd 07-01-11 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 12869197)
Actually...you aren't 100% right.

Chris Hoy attached the strap then puts the shoe covers over them :)

Haha darn, but visually it looks convincing no? I just remember you posted some pic of guys without it awhile ago.

carleton 07-02-11 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docboyd (Post 12869734)
Haha darn, but visually it looks convincing no? I just remember you posted some pic of guys without it awhile ago.

I can't think of a world-class sprinter that doesn't use them. Maybe it was an endurance guy?

docboyd 07-02-11 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 12870402)
I can't think of a world-class sprinter that doesn't use them. Maybe it was an endurance guy?

Must've been, all I remember is it made your point of the are not necessary especially for us regular folk cause we don't put out nearly as much power as some people who don't use them

bryyando 07-02-11 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 12869209)



I'm not sure.

Just buy a BMX. It's not smart to use a frame that's designed to be light and only deal with forces in one direction for tricks.



:)

My friend wasn't planning on doing tricks or anything. It's just you can get those headsets for 20-30, and he is cutting costs wherever possible. Hence the nashbar special

carleton 07-02-11 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryyando (Post 12871201)
My friend wasn't planning on doing tricks or anything. It's just you can get those headsets for 20-30, and he is cutting costs wherever possible. Hence the nashbar special

Don't ask me about how to do stuff on the cheap. Seriously. When it comes to bikes, the cheap way is often not the best way...or even a decent way to do things.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:24 AM.