Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-13, 01:46 PM   #2901
David Broon 
Sqrl
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This may be too personal, but do you coach at all? Either beginner/drop in stuff, or sending plans? That, and would you consider writing a book on how to do everything about racing track? I'd buy a copy or six.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Doing one-legged squats while holding chickens in each hand will make someone strong...that doesn't mean it's the best way to train for track racing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
That would be spectacular. A trail of blood and sealant.
David Broon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-13, 01:59 PM   #2902
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Broon View Post
This may be too personal, but do you coach at all? Either beginner/drop in stuff, or sending plans? That, and would you consider writing a book on how to do everything about racing track? I'd buy a copy or six.
Ha! I'm flattered.

I'm a USA Cycling Category C official and I passed the USA Cycling Coaching Certification test but I didn't pay for the background check because I decided that I really didn't want to pursue coaching. My background is 100% clean. I just didn't want to spend the $ for a cert that I wasn't going to use.

Over the past few years I've been coached by some of the best in the US. Without naming names, their palmarès include: Olympic Medalist, Olympian in 3 Olympic Games, Elite World Champion, Jr World Champion, Masters World Champion, Elite National Champion. They also coached athletes to similar heights (I'm the slowest of them all). When they spoke, I listened

I, myself, have done limited coaching. I coached one person who did reasonably well on the elite national level for a brief moment before she quit racing due to personal commitments. I (as well as many others) thought she had what it takes to make it to the next level, but life got in the way.

So, no, I don't coach. And as far as a book may go, this thread is about as much as you can get from me
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.

Last edited by carleton; 05-28-13 at 02:02 PM.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-13, 06:07 PM   #2903
David Broon 
Sqrl
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Ha! I'm flattered.

I'm a USA Cycling Category C official and I passed the USA Cycling Coaching Certification test but I didn't pay for the background check because I decided that I really didn't want to pursue coaching. My background is 100% clean. I just didn't want to spend the $ for a cert that I wasn't going to use.

Over the past few years I've been coached by some of the best in the US. Without naming names, their palmarès include: Olympic Medalist, Olympian in 3 Olympic Games, Elite World Champion, Jr World Champion, Masters World Champion, Elite National Champion. They also coached athletes to similar heights (I'm the slowest of them all). When they spoke, I listened

I, myself, have done limited coaching. I coached one person who did reasonably well on the elite national level for a brief moment before she quit racing due to personal commitments. I (as well as many others) thought she had what it takes to make it to the next level, but life got in the way.

So, no, I don't coach. And as far as a book may go, this thread is about as much as you can get from me
So much appreciation for all of this.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Doing one-legged squats while holding chickens in each hand will make someone strong...that doesn't mean it's the best way to train for track racing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
That would be spectacular. A trail of blood and sealant.
David Broon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 08:38 AM   #2904
MXLeader
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Carleton...

Lurker but first poster... Could you give me your thoughts on this as a bike for sprint/endurance type velodrome riding at least regarding geo. The geometry looks comparable to a lot of the more specific track bikes with aero tubing and such. Not much has been written about the AC Thunderdome yet and I'd like a second opinion from somewhere other than All-City's website from someone who knows track bikes. Much appreciated.

http://allcitycycles.com/bikes/thunderdome

Appreciate all you've written here... BTW, I grew up in PDX and miss it at some point nearly every day.

Last edited by MXLeader; 05-30-13 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Clarification.
MXLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-13, 02:21 PM   #2905
David Broon 
Sqrl
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What made you decide to sell the look?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Doing one-legged squats while holding chickens in each hand will make someone strong...that doesn't mean it's the best way to train for track racing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
That would be spectacular. A trail of blood and sealant.
David Broon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-13, 03:06 PM   #2906
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXLeader View Post
Carleton...

Lurker but first poster... Could you give me your thoughts on this as a bike for sprint/endurance type velodrome riding at least regarding geo. The geometry looks comparable to a lot of the more specific track bikes with aero tubing and such. Not much has been written about the AC Thunderdome yet and I'd like a second opinion from somewhere other than All-City's website from someone who knows track bikes. Much appreciated.

http://allcitycycles.com/bikes/thunderdome

Appreciate all you've written here... BTW, I grew up in PDX and miss it at some point nearly every day.
Sorry, I missed this one. I didn't get the email notification.

That looks pretty good! The geometry is sort of sprint-specific. I like it.

All City makes (and/or imports) some nice stuff. Go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Broon View Post
What made you decide to sell the look?
The top tube is too short

As nice as it is (and it's really, really nice) it doesn't fit me well. The TT is 56 and I thought that with my new saddle position (much further back than before) that I could use it, but nope. I need a 58cm TT.

As I've always said: Frames are like shoes in that it doesn't matter how nice they are, if they are too big or too small, you won't like them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-13, 09:40 PM   #2907
David Broon 
Sqrl
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post

The top tube is too short

As nice as it is (and it's really, really nice) it doesn't fit me well. The TT is 56 and I thought that with my new saddle position (much further back than before) that I could use it, but nope. I need a 58cm TT.

As I've always said: Frames are like shoes in that it doesn't matter how nice they are, if they are too big or too small, you won't like them.
Back to the Custom? Again?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Doing one-legged squats while holding chickens in each hand will make someone strong...that doesn't mean it's the best way to train for track racing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
That would be spectacular. A trail of blood and sealant.
David Broon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-13, 10:21 PM   #2908
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Broon View Post
Back to the Custom? Again?
Yup! Fit wins over Fancy every time
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-13, 07:58 AM   #2909
MXLeader
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All City Frame and Fork are on it's way... Thanks for the little push to pull the trigger.
MXLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-13, 09:22 AM   #2910
spazegun2213
Senior Member
 
spazegun2213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Diego
Bikes: '11 Allez Comp, '09 Pinarello Pista
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Yup! Fit wins over Fancy every time
so what are you getting now?
spazegun2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-13, 09:25 AM   #2911
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXLeader View Post
All City Frame and Fork are on it's way... Thanks for the little push to pull the trigger.
Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazegun2213 View Post
so what are you getting now?
I'm riding my Tiemeyer.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-13, 12:34 PM   #2912
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deschutes
Bikes:
Posts: 4,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"Dear Carleton" did you know that every Monday is now Sprint Mania at Marymoor?

hugz an stuff,
~Seattle
Hida Yanra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-13, 12:44 PM   #2913
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra View Post
"Dear Carleton" did you know that every Monday is now Sprint Mania at Marymoor?

hugz an stuff,
~Seattle
Nice!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-13, 03:47 PM   #2914
Thomas47
Junior Member
 
Thomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What workout would you recommend to increase your sprint speed ?
currently at 46kph-ish want to get up towards 50kph, I am youth so hope that explains slower speeds.
Thomas47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-13, 12:23 AM   #2915
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas47 View Post
What workout would you recommend to increase your sprint speed ?
currently at 46kph-ish want to get up towards 50kph, I am youth so hope that explains slower speeds.
Hi, Thomas. You are asking for a training program. It is very difficult to prescribe a program over the internet. There is a lot involved. This is like a young football player asking, "How do I become a better quarterback?"

Do you have a local track? Are you on a team? Do you ride/race on the road?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-13, 01:02 AM   #2916
Thomas47
Junior Member
 
Thomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Hi, Thomas. You are asking for a training program. It is very difficult to prescribe a program over the internet. There is a lot involved. This is like a young football player asking, "How do I become a better quarterback?"

Do you have a local track? Are you on a team? Do you ride/race on the road?
Thanks for replying so quickly. I live within 45 min drive to national cycling centre-where the track world cup was held the other day. And I belong to a club, I have started to race on the road and can just about keep up, ( 40 kph avg. speed usually) on a crit circuit.
Thomas47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-13, 05:28 PM   #2917
brawlo
Senior Member
 
brawlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas47 View Post
What workout would you recommend to increase your sprint speed ?
currently at 46kph-ish want to get up towards 50kph, I am youth so hope that explains slower speeds.
Last year, about mid season I had the same desire. So on the track training night that I would normally do strength work like standing starts and jumps, I would just do a couple of standing starts and then go into max speed revouts. Basically jump from 30km/h and go for broke. If you do them right, you're stuffed, and they're not the sort of thing you can do repeats of every couple of minutes. I could only really do 3 of good quality in a 1hr session. Doing these over the course of about 1 1/2 months saw me go from a top speed of 56 up to 58.8. I would suggest you try that out, but having done it, I think it has the most benefit during a race season. I probably wouldn't do much of that type of work in off season.

That is just one technique that worked for me to achieve the same thing you say you want. As Carleton said, I think getting a coach will help you to gain in all areas rather than just one facet of the game.
brawlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-13, 12:49 AM   #2918
Thomas47
Junior Member
 
Thomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brawlo View Post
Last year, about mid season I had the same desire. So on the track training night that I would normally do strength work like standing starts and jumps, I would just do a couple of standing starts and then go into max speed revouts. Basically jump from 30km/h and go for broke. If you do them right, you're stuffed, and they're not the sort of thing you can do repeats of every couple of minutes. I could only really do 3 of good quality in a 1hr session. Doing these over the course of about 1 1/2 months saw me go from a top speed of 56 up to 58.8. I would suggest you try that out, but having done it, I think it has the most benefit during a race season. I probably wouldn't do much of that type of work in off season.

That is just one technique that worked for me to achieve the same thing you say you want. As Carleton said, I think getting a coach will help you to gain in all areas rather than just one facet of the game.
Thanks
Thomas47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-13, 10:34 AM   #2919
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Bikes:
Posts: 9,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking at rollers for winter training. Any suggestions? I like the idea of the sportcrafters one that has the progressive resistance inside the drum, but I'm not sure I want to drop that much coin as I'm not sure whether I'll be able to stick with them.
himespau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 04:28 AM   #2920
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by himespau View Post
Looking at rollers for winter training. Any suggestions? I like the idea of the sportcrafters one that has the progressive resistance inside the drum, but I'm not sure I want to drop that much coin as I'm not sure whether I'll be able to stick with them.
Most trackies like rollers with big drums like Kreitler 4.5 inch. These are great for warming up, active recovery, or cadence drills. They use normal trainers for resistance work.

I don't know many who use resistance rollers for winter resistance workouts. I wouldn't suggest it. Save your money and buy a set of quality big-drum rollers and a quality trainer and have the best of both worlds.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 03:55 PM   #2921
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter
 
Jaytron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic
Posts: 4,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yo,

Thoughts on generic laminated leather straps: http://www.retro-gression.com/produc...-double-straps vs Toshi's?

I feel that since MOST of the holding power is still in the clipless system, and that the straps are more of an assistance/backup system, it shouldn't really matter?
Jaytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 04:03 PM   #2922
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytron View Post
Yo,

Thoughts on generic laminated leather straps: http://www.retro-gression.com/produc...-double-straps vs Toshi's?

I feel that since MOST of the holding power is still in the clipless system, and that the straps are more of an assistance/backup system, it shouldn't really matter?
I find that the generic ones don't hold very well. Not sure if it's the clasp or the strap or the combination of the two. They also wear out quickly. The ones in the photo are simple leather that will stretch immediately and continue to do so. There is no laminate there.

Toshi, Kashimax, and the like are two pieces of sueade (for grip) with laminate (for inelasticity). They are expensive probably because they require more material and effort to produce.

I have used Toshi's for more than a season of regular use. I only replace them when they look bad aesthetically. They still function very well even after more than a full season.

I'd pass on the generic ones. You can feel them loosen on the first hard effort.

To save a bit of money, I have purchased a set of Toshi doubles and simply cut them in half, giving me two sets of singles.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 05:07 PM   #2923
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter
 
Jaytron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic
Posts: 4,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thoughts on the guys using hold fast straps and what not?
Jaytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 05:18 PM   #2924
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytron View Post
Thoughts on the guys using hold fast straps and what not?
I tried Hold Fast straps back in 2010.

Pros:

- The feel great. No focused pressure or pinching that you might get from straps.
- They are very snug.
- They are inexpensive.
- They come in lots of colors

Cons:
- The way you open them, towards the bike, brings your fingers close to the finger-eating machine (the chainwheel)
- They don't open fully with one swipe like you can with Toshi type straps. You have to undo the velcro them pull the strap out of the buckle to make slack. So, it's a 2-step process.
- They seemed to be harder to get into (I guess that can be overcome with training)


I gave them a fair shot in 2010 and in 2013 and both times went back to the leather Toshi straps. I still have the Hold Fast straps.

I would use them if they opened from the top of the foot outward (away from the bike) using a similar motion that one uses to exit normal leather straps.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 05:28 PM   #2925
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter
 
Jaytron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic
Posts: 4,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Noted. Thanks Carleton! I think I'll be going with Toshis.
Jaytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:06 PM.