Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 48 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 2943

Thread: "Dear Carleton"

  1. #1176
    モㄥ工匕モ 爪モ爪乃モ尺 evilcryalotmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    LA San Gabriel, California
    My Bikes
    Custom frame
    Posts
    2,136
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, Do you do any simple prep work b4 races?

  2. #1177
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,147
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaytron View Post
    Why are they running straps if they already have clipless pedals?

    Looks like I can't go wrong with a TK3 or 2, Moto Team Track, Fuji Track Pro. Thanks guys!
    Stronger guys can pull out of clipless pedals on the upstroke. I can and have done it.

    Quote Originally Posted by evilcryalotmore View Post
    Hmm, Do you do any simple prep work b4 races?
    Not really. My prep work is frequent inspection, maintenance, and prevention (knock wood). The only prep work I do is pumping the tires before a ride/race.

  3. #1178
    Senior Member Slybry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    My Bikes
    Miyata 414, Guru Evolo, Eigthinch Scrambler
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carleton,

    I was planning on buying some new wheels and i was wondering between these mavic cxp22 rims laced to formula hubs and these mavic open pros that i could customize but would be about $100 more. which wheelset is the best for the buck?
    cxp22 http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...d/prod_23.html
    open pro http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...9.html?added=1

  4. #1179
    モㄥ工匕モ 爪モ爪乃モ尺 evilcryalotmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    LA San Gabriel, California
    My Bikes
    Custom frame
    Posts
    2,136
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Carleton, I havent checked that one thread, Hows your new frame?

  5. #1180
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    20,942
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I'd roll the 22s cuz I'm a cheap bastard. I've had a CXP-22 on the rear of my clincher wheelset for a while now (8 years, maybe) and it holds up nice.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  6. #1181
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,147
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slybry View Post
    Carleton,

    I was planning on buying some new wheels and i was wondering between these mavic cxp22 rims laced to formula hubs and these mavic open pros that i could customize but would be about $100 more. which wheelset is the best for the buck?
    cxp22 http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...d/prod_23.html
    open pro http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...9.html?added=1
    Both rims are very solid and you can't go wrong by choosing either one. I like the look of the Open Pros. I like the eyelets.

    Quote Originally Posted by evilcryalotmore View Post
    Dear Carleton, I havent checked that one thread, Hows your new frame?
    It's pretty awesome. Thanks for asking.

    Quote Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
    I'd roll the 22s cuz I'm a cheap bastard. I've had a CXP-22 on the rear of my clincher wheelset for a while now (8 years, maybe) and it holds up nice.
    +1

  7. #1182
    Fresh Garbage hairnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,958
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evilcryalotmore View Post
    I was wondering what people do for loose bearings, Btw whats a nice steel bearing to go for?
    grade 25 bearings.


    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelli View Post
    I know some trackies squirt linseed oil on their loose ball hubs each race but I'm not sure if that actually helps, maybe Carleton could weigh in on this.
    Are you sure it's linseed oil instead of something that doesn't dry? I wouldn't know anyway
    Last edited by hairnet; 09-20-11 at 01:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    I'd rather ride a greasy bowling ball than one of those things.
    Bikerowave
    My Bikes

  8. #1183
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hairnet View Post
    grade 25 bearings.
    here's a cool blog entry from park on the difference of bearings:
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...ramic-bearings

  9. #1184
    Member dat_steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Carleton,

    Haven't been riding for too long, but long enough. When i pass by an oncoming cyclist, i will either:
    - nod politely
    - 'sup nod if i'm not in the drops
    - wave
    However, I've noticed a lot of dudes/ettes riding by me, making very clear eye contact with me but remain expressionless and silent.
    wudup with that? am i missing something? i'm pretty sure i look like every other cyclist on that route.
    Congress Tart

  10. #1185
    . xavier853's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Columbus
    My Bikes
    Pegueot UO8, Tommaso Augusta
    Posts
    2,027
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
    Dear Carleton,

    Haven't been riding for too long, but long enough. When i pass by an oncoming cyclist, i will either:
    - nod politely
    - 'sup nod if i'm not in the drops
    - wave
    However, I've noticed a lot of dudes/ettes riding by me, making very clear eye contact with me but remain expressionless and silent.
    wudup with that? am i missing something? i'm pretty sure i look like every other cyclist on that route.
    I'll let Carleton finish, but you might be missing the "zone" factor.

  11. #1186
    Fresh Garbage hairnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,958
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bits View Post
    here's a cool blog entry from park on the difference of bearings:
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...ramic-bearings
    I remember reading somewhere some explanation of bearings and how it's stupid to pay up for ceramic bearings if you don't get ceramic races because you'll end up with the same performance as steel bearings. I don't care either way
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    I'd rather ride a greasy bowling ball than one of those things.
    Bikerowave
    My Bikes

  12. #1187
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hairnet View Post
    I remember reading somewhere some explanation of bearings and how it's stupid to pay up for ceramic bearings if you don't get ceramic races because you'll end up with the same performance as steel bearings. I don't care either way
    the article goes into much depth but this snippet explains:
    Quote Originally Posted by Park
    The ceramic bearing has found uses in industrial applications where there is high speed, high load, and, consequently, high temperature. Bicycle riding simply does not result in high load, speed or temperature. A bike moving at 80 kilometers per hour (about 50 mph), will have hubs that rotate about 11 revolutions per second. An engine crank shaft, however, may turn at over 100 revolutions per second.

  13. #1188
    Fresh Garbage hairnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,958
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why I dont care. I will not benefit from using them and I do not think I will ever go out of my way have ceramic bearings. I have helped people at the co-op install ceramic cartridge bearings in their formula hubs while the kept rambling on about faster wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    I'd rather ride a greasy bowling ball than one of those things.
    Bikerowave
    My Bikes

  14. #1189
    We win all charity rides Street rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
    My Bikes
    BMX, fixed gear
    Posts
    3,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Carleton, have you ever seen anyone 'barefoot' cycling? I've thought about it, because having to support your own foot more would work your legs differently, like your calves?

  15. #1190
    Bastard of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,286
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ****, I hate those shoes.

  16. #1191
    Senior Member redpear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    ****, I hate those shoes.
    +1

  17. #1192
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    20,942
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Street rider View Post
    Dear Carleton, have you ever seen anyone 'barefoot' cycling? I've thought about it, because having to support your own foot more would work your legs differently, like your calves?
    I rode in wetsuit booties before. It was painful. Barefoot shoes have thicker soles than wetsuit shoes though, so maybe with the right pedal.

    The right pedal is definitely not PD-1051.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  18. #1193
    Rhythm is rhythm max5480's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    1,146
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it might work spinning a high cadence, but barefoot cycling on a fixed gear mashing up hills would be ****ed
    Pedalroom
    I ride I ride

  19. #1194
    Senior Member kabex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Mexico
    Posts
    616
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pedals aren't designed for soft shoes.

    If we radically modified modern bicycle design then yeah, sure.

  20. #1195
    Member dat_steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm working on a prototype of SPD compatible Crocs. go from stylish on two feet, to stylish on two wheels in a flash!

    PATENT PENDING.
    Congress Tart

  21. #1196
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    20,942
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  22. #1197
    Senior Member himespau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    7,591
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
    i'm working on a prototype of SPD compatible Crocs. go from stylish on two feet, to stylish on two wheels in a flash!

    PATENT PENDING.
    I'd love some of those (not that I wear crocs). Sometimes, for a quick run somewhere, I don't want to put on the bike shoes, but that doesn't happen often enough that I'd like the pedals that have 2 different sides. Something I could keep in the garage next to the bike that I could clip in to my spd clip giving me a platform for those brief times would be nice.

    Edit:Oh wait, I thought you were going to make the pedals compatible with crocs, not put cleats in crocs. No thanks to that.
    Punctuation is important. It's the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse"


  23. #1198
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,147
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
    Dear Carleton,

    Haven't been riding for too long, but long enough. When i pass by an oncoming cyclist, i will either:
    - nod politely
    - 'sup nod if i'm not in the drops
    - wave
    However, I've noticed a lot of dudes/ettes riding by me, making very clear eye contact with me but remain expressionless and silent.
    wudup with that? am i missing something? i'm pretty sure i look like every other cyclist on that route.
    They may be in the zone...but chances are they are just weird and possibly anti-social. Cycling is an individual sport/activity that attracts some people who are like that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Street rider View Post
    Dear Carleton, have you ever seen anyone 'barefoot' cycling? I've thought about it, because having to support your own foot more would work your legs differently, like your calves?
    No. I hate those shoes, too.

    That ****'s not right.

  24. #1199
    Bastard of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,286
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The worst is when I see people who aren't athletic in any way walking around downtown wearing those things. Ugh...
    Last edited by Scrodzilla; 09-20-11 at 05:21 PM.

  25. #1200
    We win all charity rides Street rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
    My Bikes
    BMX, fixed gear
    Posts
    3,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    The worst is when I see people who aren't athletic in any way walking around downtown wearing those thing. Ugh...
    Well, I'm a pretty athletic guy, runner, soccer player, cycling, etc. And I just tried it out, quick run around campus with the lady, and it was ****ing awful. Less support than I thought it had, and having to put weight on my feet to start up at stop signs and lights was really bad.

Page 48 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •