Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-11, 06:52 PM   #1251
redpear
Senior Member
 
redpear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Francisco
Bikes:
Posts: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by prind0 View Post
Dear Carleton,

It seems lately that I've been having a lot of problems with muscle cramps. Mostly my calves, but once or twice its been my hamstring. I feel like I'm adequately hydrated (about one bottle of water per hour riding, more if its hotter, less if I'm going slow) and eating a lot of bananas (in case its a potassium deficiency) but I still have this problem. Anything else you suggest trying?
THE CRAMP BUSTER
redpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 07:05 PM   #1252
max5480
Rhythm is rhythm
 
max5480's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Bikes:
Posts: 1,188
[video=youtube;ABY0BR8d_z0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABY0BR8d_z0[/video]
max5480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 07:22 PM   #1253
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by max5480 View Post
[video=youtube;ABY0BR8d_z0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABY0BR8d_z0[/video]
I can totally relate to that. It happens to me quite often...most recently last weekend while racing.

The worst was cramping while driving home from the track after a tough workout. Imagine getting leg cramps like Nadal in the video above while trying to press the gas and brake pedals. I found a CVS and immediately downed lots of electrolytes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 07:23 PM   #1254
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpear View Post
THE CRAMP BUSTER
Have you used this? Would you recommend it?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 07:51 PM   #1255
redpear
Senior Member
 
redpear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Francisco
Bikes:
Posts: 1,445
I have used them. They are awesome, and I would recommend. Mostly for people like me, who can't down gels.
redpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 08:01 PM   #1256
max5480
Rhythm is rhythm
 
max5480's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Bikes:
Posts: 1,188
you can also just eat one or two and save the rest for later, unlike gels
max5480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 08:37 PM   #1257
Lilcphoto
My name is Alex
 
Lilcphoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PDX
Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Stripper in RAW, Schwinn Madison 2008 Blue, Leader 725tr, Brassknuckle, Leader 722, Traitor Ruben
Posts: 1,701
that margarita flavor is nasty! I am addicted to the lemon and orange flavors
Lilcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 09:02 PM   #1258
redpear
Senior Member
 
redpear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Francisco
Bikes:
Posts: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilcphoto View Post
that margarita flavor is nasty! I am addicted to the lemon and orange flavors
Unfortunately it tastes that way because of all that salt
redpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 10:12 PM   #1259
Sherblock
Senior Member
 
Sherblock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Portland
Bikes: 2014 Kona Rove, 1988 Trek 660
Posts: 1,895
Question - I'm fairly certain pro road racers are on average pretty short, or at least the ones I've seen. Does height pertain to track racing? If so, how?
Sherblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 10:38 PM   #1260
LocoTracks
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Denver
Bikes:
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
I can totally relate to that. It happens to me quite often...most recently last weekend while racing.

The worst was cramping while driving home from the track after a tough workout. Imagine getting leg cramps like Nadal in the video above while trying to press the gas and brake pedals. I found a CVS and immediately downed lots of electrolytes.
The airplane is also a great place for leg cramps.
LocoTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 09:23 AM   #1261
hairnet
Fresh Garbage
 
hairnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 12,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherblock View Post
Question - I'm fairly certain pro road racers are on average pretty short, or at least the ones I've seen. Does height pertain to track racing? If so, how?
Taylor Phiney

I once read an article [tried to find it but failed] on how tall riders effectively have a shorter distance to travel because their bodies are further inward on the track. Not so sure how much theory vs. reality it is though. If everyone else is short then drafting at 30mph realllllllly sucks - disadvantage

Last edited by hairnet; 09-25-11 at 10:55 AM.
hairnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 12:01 PM   #1262
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Bikes:
Posts: 9,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoTracks View Post
The airplane is also a great place for leg cramps.
or the movie theater if you have long legs (and they have tall stadium seats). Got bad calf cramps near the beginning of The Thin Red Line and couldn't move for 3 hours.
himespau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 01:12 PM   #1263
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherblock View Post
Question - I'm fairly certain pro road racers are on average pretty short, or at least the ones I've seen. Does height pertain to track racing? If so, how?
Andy Schleck is 6'1"
Taylor Phinney is 6'4"

One thing that the commentators note is that the height range of the athletes in the pro peloton is very large from shortest to tallest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairnet View Post
Taylor Phiney

I once read an article [tried to find it but failed] on how tall riders effectively have a shorter distance to travel because their bodies are further inward on the track. Not so sure how much theory vs. reality it is though. If everyone else is short then drafting at 30mph realllllllly sucks - disadvantage
Here's one analysis of leaning and tall riders: http://www.analyticcycling.com/genmo...nAnalysis.html from http://www.analyticcycling.com/.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 03:08 PM   #1264
Sherblock
Senior Member
 
Sherblock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Portland
Bikes: 2014 Kona Rove, 1988 Trek 660
Posts: 1,895
I always thought they were short... maybe I'm was thinking of race car drivers :/
Sherblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 06:30 PM   #1265
Ishii
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chicago, Il
Bikes:
Posts: 39
Could the cramping in the calves and hamstrings also have to do with pedal stroke? At my last workout my calves were getting tired and the coach said my cleats might be too far forward and I should lower my heel on the down stroke. He also said that during recovery periods you can pedal with your heel down all the way around and it will open up your hamstrings and let more blood get to them allowing for better recovery.
Ishii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 06:43 PM   #1266
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishii View Post
Could the cramping in the calves and hamstrings also have to do with pedal stroke? At my last workout my calves were getting tired and the coach said my cleats might be too far forward and I should lower my heel on the down stroke. He also said that during recovery periods you can pedal with your heel down all the way around and it will open up your hamstrings and let more blood get to them allowing for better recovery.
If your cleat is forward of normal then you will use your ankle a lot more. The calf muscle does this.

So, are your cramps localized to a particular muscle or all over? All-over cramps are probably an electrolyte thing. Local cramps might be a conditioning issue. When I cramp really bad it's in the legs, back, fingers, just about any muscle that I contract with force or if I fold my legs and the muscle shortens.

Have you set your cleat position to where you like it? Most people start with setting the cleat such that the pedal spindle goes under the ball of the foot, which is where we apply the most force.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 08:33 PM   #1267
calbob76
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: spfd mo
Bikes: big block
Posts: 486
Dear Carleton,

I have some questions on jerseys and bibs. What brand(s)/model(s) do you prefer to use? Also why are Rapha things so expensive? Is the quality reflected in the price or are you also paying for a little bit of the name?
calbob76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 08:50 PM   #1268
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter
 
Jaytron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic
Posts: 4,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbob76 View Post
Dear Carleton,

I have some questions on jerseys and bibs. What brand(s)/model(s) do you prefer to use? Also why are Rapha things so expensive? Is the quality reflected in the price or are you also paying for a little bit of the name?
If it helps any. I know a friend that has both Castelli and Rapha bibs, and he swears the Rapha bibs are sewn from the mane of a unicorn.
Jaytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 08:53 PM   #1269
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbob76 View Post
Dear Carleton,

I have some questions on jerseys and bibs. What brand(s)/model(s) do you prefer to use? Also why are Rapha things so expensive? Is the quality reflected in the price or are you also paying for a little bit of the name?
All of the Castelli, Hincapie, and Specialized gear that I've worn or been issued via the team has been awesome. When using Voler, opt for the nicer chamois.

Rapha stuff is high quality...but not worth the price they are asking. It's worth probably half of their MSRP. Specialized probably has the best bang-for-the-buck quality with simple good looking style. Plus, you can find it at local shops to try it on before you buy it. Most of my non-team stuff is Specialized.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 09:06 PM   #1270
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytron View Post
If it helps any. I know a friend that has both Castelli and Rapha bibs, and he swears the Rapha bibs are sewn from the mane of a unicorn.
I find that a lot of people add some mythical perceived value to Rapha stuff. Probably because it's expensive and rare to see or find. Sort of like some rare Campy wheels that seem to ride nicer than they really do.

Don't get me wrong, the Rapha stuff looks nice and is of high quality. But $220 for some black bib shorts? $210 for a black long sleeved jersey? If a guy bought 2 kits + socks and gloves, he's in for close to $1,000.

I'm not sure if that stuff is actually worth 150% of what the already high quality Specialized gear is worth.


Also, Gore Bike Wear is nice, too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 09:09 PM   #1271
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter
 
Jaytron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic
Posts: 4,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
I find that a lot of people add some mythical perceived value to Rapha stuff. Probably because it's expensive and rare to see or find. Sort of like some rare Campy wheels that seem to ride nicer than they really do.

Don't get me wrong, the Rapha stuff looks nice and is of high quality. But $220 for some black bib shorts? $210 for a black long sleeved jersey? If a guy bought 2 kits + socks and gloves, he's in for close to $1,000.

I'm not sure if that stuff is actually worth 150% of what the already high quality Specialized gear is worth.


Also, Gore Bike Wear is nice, too.
He also mentioned that he would never buy Rapha gear despite how awesome it was. His current kit was given as a gift.

I have yet to switch to a bib. I almost never wear my cycling shorts as is.
Jaytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 09:21 PM   #1272
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytron View Post
He also mentioned that he would never buy Rapha gear despite how awesome it was. His current kit was given as a gift.

I have yet to switch to a bib. I almost never wear my cycling shorts as is.
Buying Rapha is like buying a $45K Acura when there exists a $30K Honda that has the exact same engine and features. Some people are into that. If you are, that's cool.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 09:38 PM   #1273
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter
 
Jaytron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic
Posts: 4,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Buying Rapha is like buying a $45K Acura when there exists a $30K Honda that has the exact same engine and features. Some people are into that. If you are, that's cool.
I wish I had money to blow like that :|
Jaytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 10:12 PM   #1274
BoozyMcliverRot
Senior Member
 
BoozyMcliverRot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: bradenton FL
Bikes: 06 Motobecane SS/FW, early 90's Specialized Sirrus fixie
Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Buying Rapha is like buying a $45K Acura when there exists a $30K Honda that has the exact same engine and features. Some people are into that. If you are, that's cool.
Unfortunatly,high school kids get laid in a Acura more than a Honda.

P control YO.











J/K Have fun peeps.
BoozyMcliverRot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 10:15 PM   #1275
BoozyMcliverRot
Senior Member
 
BoozyMcliverRot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: bradenton FL
Bikes: 06 Motobecane SS/FW, early 90's Specialized Sirrus fixie
Posts: 942
[video=youtube;lu-8Fp1Izwg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu-8Fp1Izwg[/video]
BoozyMcliverRot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:20 AM.