Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/)
-   -   Crashes - guesses on stats (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/744275-crashes-guesses-stats.html)

mcafiero 06-16-11 05:58 PM

Crashes - guesses on stats
 
Let me rephrase this question so that I don't sound "scared".

If you were getting married on Sat at 3, would you be concerned that your photographer is racing at 9? I'm signed up for a Sprint Tourney and pumped about it but people are telling me that as a "professional", I should maybe sit this one out in respect for my clients because if I crash and get injured, it could be a bad idea.

I figure match sprints isn't that big of a deal. A kieran or some other crowded race maybe I should think twice on a work day.

Being a self-employed photographer is different than being an office worker, unfortunately.

mcafiero 06-16-11 10:17 PM

I think I'll answer my own question: Anything could happen, but most likely I'll be fine. I'd be less inclined to race in some of the more crowded races.

mcafiero 06-16-11 11:11 PM

Ha, that is the first time anyone's ever told me to "grow a pair". Most people know me better than that.

I'm not "scared" at all! But a few friends / colleagues are telling me I shouldn't race hours before a I shoot a wedding job, because if I crash and break a collarbone, I'd be F*cked and would have to refund a $3300 payment. The plan is to race - I am loving it.

I know that when it's race time, I won't even be thinking about crashing. Game on.

carleton 06-16-11 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcafiero (Post 12799931)
Ha, that is the first time anyone's ever told me to "grow a pair". Most people know me better than that.

I'm not "scared" at all! But a few friends / colleagues are telling me I shouldn't race hours before a I shoot a wedding job, because if I crash and break a collarbone, I'd be F*cked and would have to refund a $3300 payment. The plan is to race - I am loving it.

I know that when it's race time, I won't even be thinking about crashing. Game on.

Those are legitimate concerns and you aren't being paid to race. It's kind of hard to say how and if you'll wreck. Statics say that you won't (knock wood just in case, haha).

I've seen and heard of all manner of mishaps at the track...and other kinds of cycling. One friend of mine literally fell over when he left the boards because he didn't clip in to his pedal properly. Broken collarbone. On the other hand, I know a girl who safely raced an entire day with a front wheel that had loose bolts. She happened to have never lifted her fork off the ground all day till it was time to put the bike in the car. Weird stuff happens.

Most mishaps just end in a little rash and maybe some torn shorts. But, again, statistically speaking, you will be fine.

mcafiero 06-17-11 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 12800020)
Those are legitimate concerns and you aren't being paid to race. It's kind of hard to say how and if you'll wreck. Statics say that you won't (knock wood just in case, haha).

I've seen and heard of all manner of mishaps at the track...and other kinds of cycling. One friend of mine literally fell over when he left the boards because he didn't clip in to his pedal properly. Broken collarbone. On the other hand, I know a girl who safely raced an entire day with a front wheel that had loose bolts. She happened to have never lifted her fork off the ground all day till it was time to put the bike in the car. Weird stuff happens.

Most mishaps just end in a little rash and maybe some torn shorts. But, again, statistically speaking, you will be fine.

Thanks - the way I see it - I could just as easily get into a car crash and die on my way there. Or while putting my socks on, a meteor could fall out of the sky and break my collarbone.

Today I saw a bumper sticker that read, "I am not going to tiptoe through life, just to arrive safely at death". I agreed and I will take that as a sign. Life's too short, and I am really enjoying the velodrome again after 13 years. Nice that at 34 I can still do cool sh*t like that. I have never missed a high-paying wedding gig, but if it happened, life will move on.

bitingduck 06-17-11 10:57 AM

Race, but have someone lined up to cover for you in the unlikely event that you can't make it to the wedding gig for some reason.

Like Carleton, I've seen all sorts of things happen in races, including in some 2-up match sprints. And in a 5-8 minor final I've seen all sorts of things happen, too.

mcafiero 06-17-11 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitingduck (Post 12801998)
Race, but have someone lined up to cover for you in the unlikely event that you can't make it to the wedding gig for some reason.

Like Carleton, I've seen all sorts of things happen in races, including in some 2-up match sprints. And in a 5-8 minor final I've seen all sorts of things happen, too.

good call

mcafiero 06-17-11 04:39 PM

I got a great photographer "standing by" just in case I run into misfortune. I feel SO much better. Weddings are a big deal. Now I can race and feel good about it! Party on!

TejanoTrackie 06-17-11 08:19 PM

You are more likely to crash during the warmup with people riding all over the track than you are during the race. I've never crashed in a match sprint or even a 4-up, but have had some really close calls during warmup and practicing jumps coming off the rail down to the sprinters lane. Still, if you're going to be tentative in your racing because you are afraid to be aggressive, then don't bother racing.

mcafiero 06-18-11 07:57 PM

Won almost all my match sprints. Walked away with a 2nd. At the wedding. Not scared.

carleton 06-18-11 09:51 PM

Congrats!

mcafiero 06-19-11 12:45 AM

Thanks - loved it, can't wait to do it again...

bitingduck 06-19-11 07:25 PM

Great! It's cool that you got a chance to ride a sprint tournament-- the economics of it make it rare for us to run them.

We had one crash in the match sprints at our junior states yesterday, but it was a case of riding too slow and sliding down (and the other rider didn't make it around). Both kids got right back up.

mcafiero 06-19-11 07:51 PM

It was great. I am not scared of crashing. You have to understand as a wedding photographer, I have one major work event every week worth 1/4 of my month's salary. So if I got injured, I would have to refund a significant part of my livelihood. And a bride would prob be pissed if she knew I was racing bikes the AM of her wedding. If I got injured, after threatening to sue me for the money owed, she'd go straight to Yelp and rip on me. It's a stressful job. I was mostly scared of what could happen IF I got injured. I'm not scared to race at all, I love it and I'm going to keep doing it. I feel that I might actually have some potential to do well with it.

Thanks for all the comments. The suggestion to get a back up photographer lined up "just in case" was a no brainer that I should have thought on my own! All worked out!

chas58 06-20-11 09:36 AM

You are being responsible to your work and to your client. That is a good thing.

Crashes in practice/warm up are often not that severe (aside from road rash - actually more of a track burn). But broken collarbones do happen in races - probably averaging less than once per year at most tracks.

Keep up the good work!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:39 PM.