Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,155
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Some entry/mid level Dolan track frames for great prices


    (frame/fork only)
    Seta Carbon - on sale for $890 (only size 56 remaining)
    http://www.dpmsports.com/dolan/03-track/seta.html


    Dolan Track Champion on sale for $650 new
    http://dpmsports.com/dolan/03-track/champion.html


    Dolan Precursa - on sale for $350
    http://www.dpmsports.com/dolan/03-track/precursa.html


    I've ordered from them a few times. They are the US distributor for Dolan having a blowout sale. Excellent service. Quick shipping.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dolan track champion looks nice!

  3. #3
    rpf
    rpf is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been considering one of the Precursa frames myself to get me started on the track, in N.I we can get them direct from Dolan's ebay shop for a stupidly small amount of cash either as a frame or module. I'll most likely just get the frame as I want to pick up a fork and post from my friends shop.

    I'm hearing nothing but good things about them and I know a few t/t guys who swear by dolans frames.

    Have you any experience with the Precursa Carleton ?

    I'll be visiting the velodrome for the first time this thursday to have a chat with the local track club and to enroll in a beginners class but i'm interested in your considered opinion.

    regards .

  4. #4
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,155
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpf View Post
    I've been considering one of the Precursa frames myself to get me started on the track, in N.I we can get them direct from Dolan's ebay shop for a stupidly small amount of cash either as a frame or module. I'll most likely just get the frame as I want to pick up a fork and post from my friends shop.

    I'm hearing nothing but good things about them and I know a few t/t guys who swear by dolans frames.

    Have you any experience with the Precursa Carleton ?

    I'll be visiting the velodrome for the first time this thursday to have a chat with the local track club and to enroll in a beginners class but i'm interested in your considered opinion.

    regards .
    The Precursa is a fine frame. My teammate raced one for 2.5 seasons till he upgraded to a DF3. He's around 6'2", 200lbs, all-around style of rider. He didn't have any complaints that I'm aware of. Only upgraded because he wanted something carbon.
    Last edited by carleton; 07-16-12 at 06:14 AM.

  5. #5
    rpf
    rpf is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks Carleton,

    You preempted one of my main concerns actually, I’m measuring and weighing identically to your friend and was concerned about crushing the thing like a pop can ! I'm more suited to rugby than cycling but with a bit of work I canturn mass into power I hope.

    I have just learned today, as fortune would have it, that the velodrome's loaner bikes are all Precursa's so I will get a great opportunity to try them out before I invest. It just seemed a little “too good to be true” to me that I can pick up a frame for under 100 pounds that would stand the test but then again the frame is a basic , functional object with very little frills.

    It's a pretty frightening proposition , I’m in my comfort zone on the road at my own pace so this will challenge me. Just what I need as I’m plateauing out there.

    I appreciate the reply and recommendation , very helpful indeed.
    Last edited by rpf; 07-17-12 at 09:15 AM. Reason: holy space bar batman

  6. #6
    Senior Member spazegun2213's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    '11 Allez Comp, '09 Pinarello Pista
    Posts
    597
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    The Precursa is a fine frame. My teammate raced one for 2.5 seasons till he upgraded to a DF3. He's around 6'2", 200lbs, all-around style of rider. He didn't have any complaints that I'm aware of. Only upgraded because he wanted something carbon.
    what size did he ride? seems like the 58's would be a bit small for someone his size (and mine, as I'm 6'2" 195). But if he fit, I may just suck it up and buy something nice as my first bike knowing that it will last me MANY years.
    '11 allez Comp, very specialized & '09 Pinarello Pista, that only turns left
    It doesn't hurt any less, you just go faster

  7. #7
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,155
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spazegun2213 View Post
    what size did he ride? seems like the 58's would be a bit small for someone his size (and mine, as I'm 6'2" 195). But if he fit, I may just suck it up and buy something nice as my first bike knowing that it will last me MANY years.
    He has 58cm Precursa and 59cm DF3.

    I'm 6'1" with a longish torso (32" inseam for pants) and I also have a 59cm DF3.
    Last edited by carleton; 07-17-12 at 12:07 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member spazegun2213's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    '11 Allez Comp, '09 Pinarello Pista
    Posts
    597
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    He has 58cm Precursa and 59cm DF3.

    I'm 6'1" with a longish torso (32" inseam for pants) and I also have a 59cm DF3.
    Does he want to sell that precursa lol

    After looking at that photo of you df3, it looks like your saddle was sky high! I guess I don't know enough about fit right now to know how I could make it work for me. I'm sure I could as I'm 6'2" with a shorter torso than most people my height and 34"+ inseam.
    '11 allez Comp, very specialized & '09 Pinarello Pista, that only turns left
    It doesn't hurt any less, you just go faster

  9. #9
    Not actually Tmonk TMonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    caad9, capo (fixed), centurion dave scott 10sp, dolan pre cursa (track)
    Posts
    6,284
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm like this close --||-- to buying a Pre Cursa for my track build
    "Your beauty is an aeroplane;
    so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste

  10. #10
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,155
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spazegun2213 View Post
    Does he want to sell that precursa lol

    After looking at that photo of you df3, it looks like your saddle was sky high! I guess I don't know enough about fit right now to know how I could make it work for me. I'm sure I could as I'm 6'2" with a shorter torso than most people my height and 34"+ inseam.
    The seatpost looks high because the top tube is very low...because it has a small head tube. That's just how they look.

    Here is one of Chris Hoy's DF3s. He's listed as 6'1".




    If you want to know how a bike will fit before you buy it, find a good bike shop that has a "fit bike". They can replicate the geometry of any bike on the fit bike and you can sit on it to see how it feels. I've done that before. That's a good way to be sure you get the right size. It may cost $50-75 for the service, but you are sure about your purchase. This is great especially if you are between sizes.



  11. #11
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,155
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also, a shop may charge $100-250 (and up) for full-on fitting services on the fit bike. This is because a proper bike fit takes an hour or two. If you mention to them, "I just want you to put this geometry on the fit bike and I sit on it for a few minutes to see how it feels." you should be able to get away for A LOT cheaper.

    Email them the geometry ahead of time and they could have it waiting for you.

  12. #12
    Senior Member spazegun2213's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    '11 Allez Comp, '09 Pinarello Pista
    Posts
    597
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carleton, Thanks for the info, I just might do that I go back and forth daily about buying vs building a bike, lol.
    '11 allez Comp, very specialized & '09 Pinarello Pista, that only turns left
    It doesn't hurt any less, you just go faster

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    My Bikes
    Fixed Gear
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Pre Cursa frame for work now and it's perfect for the price. Great geometry, very light, and super sturdy. I got hit on the road a few months ago and destroyed my front rim, however the fork was perfectly fine. I highly recommend the frame. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

  14. #14
    Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter Jaytron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic
    Posts
    4,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Steel Leader 722 right now, Kinda want to get a Dolan Pre Cursa... I wonder how much weight I'll save moving to an AL frame? That price is just too good to say no to... Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    Is the Dolan Pre Cursa a better value than a 2012 Fuji Track Pro 2.0? The Frameset for that is pretty cheap right now too.
    Last edited by Jaytron; 01-28-13 at 12:05 AM.
    PedalRoom

    Hey I just met you,
    and this is crazy,
    but here's my Strava,
    follow me maybe.

  15. #15
    Senior Member seanifred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Bay Area/Davis, CA
    Posts
    395
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i love my pre cursa. it's my daily when it isn't raining. the low price in no way reflects poor quality. even if the bianchi super pista were the same price, i would still get the dolan.

  16. #16
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,155
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaytron View Post
    I have a Steel Leader 722 right now, Kinda want to get a Dolan Pre Cursa... I wonder how much weight I'll save moving to an AL frame? That price is just too good to say no to... Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    Is the Dolan Pre Cursa a better value than a 2012 Fuji Track Pro 2.0? The Frameset for that is pretty cheap right now too.
    The Precursa is a nice, entry level racing frame. Definitely a great value.

    Make a new thread (with links to the options) about your bike search. Start with a handful of options, don't just say, "What should I get? "

    Things that are very important in my book:
    - NON-proprietary seatpost. 27.2 is best and easiest. Or some other round size that is easy to get.
    - No integrated seatposts. Solves no problems while creating many.
    - Decent or good geometry for racing
    - Stiffness (if you want to sprint)

    Notice that I didn't say Carbon

    I think the Fuji's have a proprietary seatpost system.

  17. #17
    The worst.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Precursa after seeing this thread the first time, and it's a total bargain. Standard parts (36/45 headset, 27.2 seatpost, 31.8 seatpost collar) make it pretty easy to upgrade over the stock frameset parts if you so desire. Not sure on the availability of replacement track end plates though--the stock plates are aluminum, rather than the stainless steel plates you see much more commonly on aluminum frames.

  18. #18
    Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter Jaytron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic
    Posts
    4,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    The Precursa is a nice, entry level racing frame. Definitely a great value.

    Make a new thread (with links to the options) about your bike search. Start with a handful of options, don't just say, "What should I get? "

    Things that are very important in my book:
    - NON-proprietary seatpost. 27.2 is best and easiest. Or some other round size that is easy to get.
    - No integrated seatposts. Solves no problems while creating many.
    - Decent or good geometry for racing
    - Stiffness (if you want to sprint)

    Notice that I didn't say Carbon

    I think the Fuji's have a proprietary seatpost system.
    Done and done
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavic View Post
    I bought a Precursa after seeing this thread the first time, and it's a total bargain. Standard parts (36/45 headset, 27.2 seatpost, 31.8 seatpost collar) make it pretty easy to upgrade over the stock frameset parts if you so desire. Not sure on the availability of replacement track end plates though--the stock plates are aluminum, rather than the stainless steel plates you see much more commonly on aluminum frames.
    Hmmm, this would be good info. Does anyone know if they're replaceable?
    PedalRoom

    Hey I just met you,
    and this is crazy,
    but here's my Strava,
    follow me maybe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •