Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Italian Stallion mcafiero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Denver
    My Bikes
    2010 Cannondale Supersix; Dolan Df3; 1980's GIOS Pista;
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    winding up for a 200 on a 250 track

    I don't want to come across as obsessing by posting on this here forum. But I'm told that a flying 200 on a 250m track is way different than the likes of the track here in Colorado Springs. I'm racing in Frisco to sort of get used to that track before I go at it in LA (and I have family and business in both areas so I have good excuses to make these trips). Anyway, are there any videos or diagrams that show the proper route to winding up for a 200 on a 250 track? My coach mentioned something about a "corkscrew" or something. Please excuse my rookie question. I just want to get it in my head as I won't have a whole lot of time to practice before I go for it.

    Also, Carleton, the flyer has been posted on superdrome.com (and my coach agrees to leave the race wheels at home because it's not worth damaging them in travel).
    "Go out hard. When it hurts... speed up"
    I have a grande hairy chest and I am of Italian descent.
    2010 Cannondale Supersix
    2011 Dolan DF3

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,470
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not specific to your question, but should answer some of your other questions... http://upupup.aboc.com.au/the-book/sitemap
    http://climbinglama.blogspot.com.au

  3. #3
    Italian Stallion mcafiero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Denver
    My Bikes
    2010 Cannondale Supersix; Dolan Df3; 1980's GIOS Pista;
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai View Post
    Not specific to your question, but should answer some of your other questions... http://upupup.aboc.com.au/the-book/sitemap
    Thanks! There are a lot of incomplete sections, I wonder if that's a work in progress? But what's there is great!
    "Go out hard. When it hurts... speed up"
    I have a grande hairy chest and I am of Italian descent.
    2010 Cannondale Supersix
    2011 Dolan DF3

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,470
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it is a work in progress. It is being written by a Coach working locally with our National Talent Identification Squad. I'll ask him next time I see him how the writing of the other incomplete sections is going...
    http://climbinglama.blogspot.com.au

  5. #5
    Senior Member taras0000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although not a direct answer to your query, this should also have some good information - http://www.analyticcycling.com/.

    Every 250 track will have slightly different characteristics, but the general conceptual line for a 250 has you doing 3 laps with the last lap being timed right in between turns 1 and 2 right to the line. I call the laps 3,2,1, because it's easier to remember this for me as th laps are counted down in the lead up to your run. You'll start your race on the apron on the back straight with 3.5 laps to go. Enter track and get some reasonable speed up to keep you upright. Hit turn 3 at the red line and cut a level line across through turn 4. Spend lap 3 working a shallow line to the top of the track throughout the whole lap. Conserve as much energy as possible doing this. Use the straights to move up, and cut a level line across the banks. When you start lap 2, you should be at the rail. This lap will be similar to riding the rail at a 333 before you jump. You'll start a seated acceleration coming down out of turn 2, and you'll jump out of the saddle in turn 3. Stay high in turn 4 and hug the rail as you come down the straight. At the pursuit line on the home straight you'll drift down the track towards a point on the red line in the middle of turn 2. This brings you into the Final lap, or Lap 1 as I like to call it. THe corkscrew your coach was talking about is this final approach. Picture a penny being dropped into a funnel. You'll hit the timing strip about midway across the sprinters lane, and you should be exiting turn 4 at the black line. Ride like hell to the finish.
    Taras - :noun. 1. Typically an overweight has-been that can sometimes be seen pootling around a velodrome on an old Look KG 233.

  6. #6
    Italian Stallion mcafiero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Denver
    My Bikes
    2010 Cannondale Supersix; Dolan Df3; 1980's GIOS Pista;
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taras0000 View Post
    Although not a direct answer to your query, this should also have some good information - http://www.analyticcycling.com/.

    Every 250 track will have slightly different characteristics, but the general conceptual line for a 250 has you doing 3 laps with the last lap being timed right in between turns 1 and 2 right to the line. I call the laps 3,2,1, because it's easier to remember this for me as th laps are counted down in the lead up to your run. You'll start your race on the apron on the back straight with 3.5 laps to go. Enter track and get some reasonable speed up to keep you upright. Hit turn 3 at the red line and cut a level line across through turn 4. Spend lap 3 working a shallow line to the top of the track throughout the whole lap. Conserve as much energy as possible doing this. Use the straights to move up, and cut a level line across the banks. When you start lap 2, you should be at the rail. This lap will be similar to riding the rail at a 333 before you jump. You'll start a seated acceleration coming down out of turn 2, and you'll jump out of the saddle in turn 3. Stay high in turn 4 and hug the rail as you come down the straight. At the pursuit line on the home straight you'll drift down the track towards a point on the red line in the middle of turn 2. This brings you into the Final lap, or Lap 1 as I like to call it. THe corkscrew your coach was talking about is this final approach. Picture a penny being dropped into a funnel. You'll hit the timing strip about midway across the sprinters lane, and you should be exiting turn 4 at the black line. Ride like hell to the finish.
    This is perfect and very helpful. Thanks so much for taking the time to write that out!

    Mark
    "Go out hard. When it hurts... speed up"
    I have a grande hairy chest and I am of Italian descent.
    2010 Cannondale Supersix
    2011 Dolan DF3

  7. #7
    Senior Member taras0000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is a vid from manchester., which is a 250. Watch it once and then you'll be able to reverse engineer the approach. http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&h...&v=WZthA69L5XQ
    Taras - :noun. 1. Typically an overweight has-been that can sometimes be seen pootling around a velodrome on an old Look KG 233.

  8. #8
    Italian Stallion mcafiero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Denver
    My Bikes
    2010 Cannondale Supersix; Dolan Df3; 1980's GIOS Pista;
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taras0000 View Post
    this is a vid from manchester., which is a 250. Watch it once and then you'll be able to reverse engineer the approach. http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&h...&v=WZthA69L5XQ
    Nice, thank you!
    "Go out hard. When it hurts... speed up"
    I have a grande hairy chest and I am of Italian descent.
    2010 Cannondale Supersix
    2011 Dolan DF3

  9. #9
    Senior Member joshpants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When are you doing this?
    Keep us posted how it goes for you.

  10. #10
    Italian Stallion mcafiero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Denver
    My Bikes
    2010 Cannondale Supersix; Dolan Df3; 1980's GIOS Pista;
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frisco is a week from Sat (April 7) - Flying 200, 5 lap scratch and sprints
    LA is August 21 - Time Trials - 200, Kilo and Team Sprint

    I'll give you a report.
    "Go out hard. When it hurts... speed up"
    I have a grande hairy chest and I am of Italian descent.
    2010 Cannondale Supersix
    2011 Dolan DF3

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark;

    Grab me Sat and we'll run you through both Frisco and LA.

    Mark

  12. #12
    Italian Stallion mcafiero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Denver
    My Bikes
    2010 Cannondale Supersix; Dolan Df3; 1980's GIOS Pista;
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkWmTyson View Post
    Mark;

    Grab me Sat and we'll run you through both Frisco and LA.

    Mark
    Hey Mark - unfortunately I can't be there on Sat, so I am going on Sunday instead. Any chance you'll be out there Sunday? Otherwise, I am going to try to be at the track on Tuesday as well...
    "Go out hard. When it hurts... speed up"
    I have a grande hairy chest and I am of Italian descent.
    2010 Cannondale Supersix
    2011 Dolan DF3

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No...I have to do some stuff in Boulder on Sun...try to catch up on Tues.

    Mark

  14. #14
    Senior Member joshpants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When does CSVA Tues/Thurs night racing begin?

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to me it's the third week of May this year...sure details will be on the web site shortly...

    Mark

  16. #16
    Italian Stallion mcafiero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Denver
    My Bikes
    2010 Cannondale Supersix; Dolan Df3; 1980's GIOS Pista;
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkWmTyson View Post
    No...I have to do some stuff in Boulder on Sun...try to catch up on Tues.

    Mark
    Cool, I'll be there probably between 2-4. Hopefully I'll catch you. Have a great weekend. Thanks!
    "Go out hard. When it hurts... speed up"
    I have a grande hairy chest and I am of Italian descent.
    2010 Cannondale Supersix
    2011 Dolan DF3

  17. #17
    Senior Member joshpants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkWmTyson View Post
    Seems to me it's the third week of May this year...sure details will be on the web site shortly...

    Mark
    See you soon, in that case.
    Thanks!
    -josh

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •