Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-12, 05:50 AM   #1
hoboalex100
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Crankset HELP!!

hey guys...

i have got a new frame that is apparently a very limited addition, it is a relaunched GT pulse track frame, im in the process of building it up... and the biggest problem im having and have heard of is finding cranks that will fit to this frame (especially the 'large' size frame, which i have) the first crank i thought of is truvativ omnium crankset...the problem is that the crank SPIDER hits the chain stay and i cant seem to find any crankset that will fit this frame....it is a BB86.
i heard that FSA has brought out a bb386, but is that only specific to FSA cranks? or does anyone out there know of a crank that will fit my frame?!

any help is much appreciated!!
hoboalex100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 08:37 AM   #2
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,257
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
People have had trouble getting those cranks to fit on other frames, too.

You may have to try a different brand of crank, like Dura Ace or Sugino 75.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 08:39 AM   #3
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,257
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Look here to see what cranks others have used on that frame.

http://velospace.org/taxonomy/term/2116

That site is more for street fixed gear bikes, but they use a lot of race equipment.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 05:36 PM   #4
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 4,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
bb86

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoboalex100 View Post

i have got a new frame that is apparently a very limited addition, it is a relaunched GT pulse track frame, im in the process of building it up... and the biggest problem im having and have heard of is finding cranks that will fit to this frame
(especially the 'large' size frame, which i have)
the first crank i thought of is truvativ omnium crankset...
the problem is that the crank SPIDER hits the chain stay and i cant seem to find any crankset that will fit this frame....
it is a BB86.
i heard that FSA has brought out a bb386, but is that only specific to FSA cranks?
or does anyone out there know of a crank that will fit my frame?!
Picture of frame?
Omniums are not BB86.
Make sure you know what standard your frame is.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...ottom-brackets
Soil_Sampler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 07:58 PM   #5
Kayce
Senior Member
 
Kayce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St Louis
Bikes:
Posts: 1,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you got omniums on your frame, it does not use the BB86. BB86 is a press fit outboard bearing system. The omniums use an outboard bearing as well, but they thread onto a standard BB. Omniums are notorious for not fitting on certain frames. But any other track crank should fit.

Also I do not know where you heard it from, but there are still lots of companies make BB86 standards. Campy, Shimano, Sram, and FSA all make them. BB30 was exclusive to Cannondale until last year, but they opened it up for every one.
Kayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 02:32 AM   #6
hoboalex100
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
People have had trouble getting those cranks to fit on other frames, too.

You may have to try a different brand of crank, like Dura Ace or Sugino 75.
hmmm ok....dont know if i cant afford dura Ace....it would be nice to have them though Sugino 75 will fit a bb86?
hoboalex100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 02:42 AM   #7
hoboalex100
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah i know omnims are not bb86 but ive got a sram pressfit bb86 with gxp adapter cups, even with these the spider of the cranks hit the stay.

heres what the frame looks like http://velospace.org/forums/discussi...2011-gt-pulse/
hoboalex100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 05:49 PM   #8
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 4,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
check your clearance, Clarence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoboalex100 View Post
yeah i know omnims are not bb86 but ive got a sram pressfit bb86 with gxp adapter cups, even with these the spider of the cranks hit the stay.

heres what the frame looks like http://velospace.org/forums/discussi...2011-gt-pulse/



start grinding, or get some road cranks.

http://www.rotorbikeusa.com/
Soil_Sampler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:58 PM.