Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    JMR
    JMR is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    251
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Aero Bars for Kilo

    What is everyone's recommendation for aero bars for Kilo TT's?

    I haven't previously done TT/pursuit events so I am a bit in the dark on this.

    What I am thinking by looking at modern aero bars is that I probably want my elbows wider than most of the fixed setups... So I would probably want adjustable arm rests. Would this probably be right?

    JMR

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,351
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 3T Mistral Pro bars on my TT bike with ski extensions. The extensions width is fixed, but there are multiple plugged fixing points for the arm rests. So you have quite a bit of flexibility in where you can fit them width wise.

    For Kilo / Pursuits I have an old alloy 3T Ahero bars with trimmed basebar.

    To get the bars lower, I use Ritchey adjustable stems. Both bars mentioned are 3:1 UCI compliant, which is something you may need to watch for depending on where you race…

    Why do you think you want the arm rests to be set wide?
    http://climbinglama.blogspot.com.au

  3. #3
    JMR
    JMR is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    251
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dalai.

    I just don't think that I will be able to get the leverage when the aeros are too close together... might just be in my head, but would be annoyed to buy an $800+ carbon basebar/aeros setup and find that they don't work for me!

    JMR

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,351
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you borrow a cheap set of bolt on aerobars and fit to drop bars first to experiment with arm widths? As you say, can be an expensive error if you buy bars that don't work best for you...
    http://climbinglama.blogspot.com.au

  5. #5
    JMR
    JMR is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    251
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that is probably a good idea... do you recon just putting them on my sprint bars would be fine, or should I buy a cheap alloy bullhorn style bar to test on?

    JMR

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,351
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with bull horns rather than Pista bars, especially if you don't tape the whole bar.

    You should be able to sell the bull horns easily to the Hipster crowd once you are done with them.
    http://climbinglama.blogspot.com.au

  7. #7
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    10,706
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Finding the right aerobar is as tough as finding the right saddle.

    I tried around 15 different aerobars (borrowing or buying) and settled on the heaviest and least expensive setup of them all. Go figure.

    You are going to have to try a lot of bars before you find the one for you. I suggest going to a bike shop that specializes in serving triathletes. Shops like that tend to have several bars in stock. I don't suggest buying bars sight-unseen without trying them first.

  8. #8
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    10,706
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai View Post
    Why do you think you want the arm rests to be set wide?
    Don't knock the wide-elbows It works for lots of people.

    Sarah Hammer, who has probably seen more wind-tunnel time than most, uses a very wide stance.





    This is my favorite performance of hers:


  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    Don't knock the wide-elbows It works for lots of people.

    Sarah Hammer, who has probably seen more wind-tunnel time than most, uses a very wide stance.





    This is my favorite performance of hers:

    Can't say I know a whole lot about it but, she seems very shaky while riding in comparison to the girl that she's going against.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,351
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not knocking wide arms, just querying why JMR was wanting wide pads when it appears they haven't ridden with aerobars...

    Agreed there is no hard and fast rule going narrow or wide - very much an individual thing. Same with aero helmets! Hence why I went into a windtunnel with my TT bike and collection of helmets back in 2008.
    http://climbinglama.blogspot.com.au

  11. #11
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    10,706
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf595 View Post
    Can't say I know a whole lot about it but, she seems very shaky while riding in comparison to the girl that she's going against.
    Do you mean the girl that Hammer beat to win a world championship?

    I actually think that the weaving is a function of her pedal stroke more so than her arm position. It may not be pretty, but it's fast.

    The Kilo is ridden faster (and harder) than an individual pursuit. Wider bars feel more stable when at full gas at 60kph...especially on bumpy local tracks that many of us have to ride.

    The purposes of the aerobars are to
    - Get the head down and close the chest area from being one big inlet for air
    - Get the forearms horizontal to eliminate unnecessary drag.

    Further, you can have wide elbows and bring the hands together. This creates an arrowhead shape, like this:



    This usually means resting on one's forearms instead of near the elbows.

  12. #12
    Riding like its 1990 thenomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    IE, SoCal
    Posts
    3,621
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the same time from what I understand you do not want your arms any wider than your knees. You want your arms to break the wind/shield your knee/quad area to get the air moving over it smoother. Forarms horizontal, chest flatter, head down.
    But then again, being able to stay in that position while pushing is not fun. I took the aeros off the bike a long time ago (I dont compete btw) after playing around with the whole thing for a while.
    My blog about rides, bikes and builds: ridesgoneby.blogspot.com

  13. #13
    Elite Rider Hermes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    7,801
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Shimano Pro Missile bars are the best aerobars I have.





    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

  14. #14
    JMR
    JMR is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    251
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    Do you mean the girl that Hammer beat to win a world championship?

    I actually think that the weaving is a function of her pedal stroke more so than her arm position. It may not be pretty, but it's fast.

    The Kilo is ridden faster (and harder) than an individual pursuit. Wider bars feel more stable when at full gas at 60kph...especially on bumpy local tracks that many of us have to ride.

    The purposes of the aerobars are to
    - Get the head down and close the chest area from being one big inlet for air
    - Get the forearms horizontal to eliminate unnecessary drag.

    Further, you can have wide elbows and bring the hands together. This creates an arrowhead shape, like this:



    This usually means resting on one's forearms instead of near the elbows.

    This is what I was thinking... wider rests, but with ski jump shaped extensions rolled in towards each other a bit. This would bring my hands in closer together but keep my elbow out for more stability.

    I will do what Dalai suggested and get a set of cheap alloy bullhorn bars and clip on extensions and play around with the setup. Once I have it sussed I will spend more money on somthing like what Hermes has!

    JMR

  15. #15
    JMR
    JMR is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    251
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    The Shimano Pro Missile bars are the best aerobars I have.
    These look awesome!

    JMR

  16. #16
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    10,706
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMR View Post
    This is what I was thinking... wider rests, but with ski jump shaped extensions rolled in towards each other a bit. This would bring my hands in closer together but keep my elbow out for more stability.

    I will do what Dalai suggested and get a set of cheap alloy bullhorn bars and clip on extensions and play around with the setup. Once I have it sussed I will spend more money on somthing like what Hermes has!

    JMR
    Actually my Kilo bar setup is:

    - Nitto RB021 base bar
    - Origin 8 clip on aero bars. I swapped the "S-Bend" extensions for "Ski Bend" for stability.




    I've tried:
    - Teschner
    - 3T Aura
    - And countless sets that I've borrowed from shops, teammates, and friends.

    The Shimano Missles mentioned above are NICE, but not cheap.

  17. #17
    Elite Rider Hermes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    7,801
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a couple of theories about width of aerobars and aerodynamics. And without going to the tunnel or testing using a power meter at an indoor track (or outdoor with little wind) it is speculation which will work better. However, in general, riders with wider shoulders may find that wider bars are better. However, I would not have the arms outside the hips. Generally, as one puts arms together, it becomes more difficult to lower the head. So the best trade off is arms together as close as possible with the head down.

    What can be bad is the arms close together and the head up in the wind. The best aero position is the one that a racer can maintain.

    The other aspect is acceleration. Being in the drops or the bull horns is a more powerful position. So after a standing start, staying in the drops longer after you sit down may yield a better time as long as you are accelerating. Once acceleration stops, go aero.

    The Pro Missile's are definitely cool but the key is having the deeper drop between the aero position and the starting position for a better standing start and aero position during acceleration. That can be accomplished with a set of endurance bars and clip ons. Plus, when you travel, the bars can be disassembled.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •