Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-12, 11:53 AM   #1
chris675D
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
chris675D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Valley Village, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
having 2 different sized cogs?

My gearing now is 52x16. I commute with it. train with it and even do some climbing. and a few races at the track now. one of my friends mentioned having a bigger cog like an 18 on the other side and using that for when i commute or have rest days and want to spin. does this seem like a good idea? and i apolagize if this was discussed, but I couldn't find anything with my phone.
chris675D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-12, 02:46 PM   #2
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,135
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
52/16 is really big for street use.

Your friend is right. You need more than one chainring and cog for training, racing, and commuting.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-12, 06:06 PM   #3
Kayce
Senior Member
 
Kayce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St Louis
Bikes:
Posts: 1,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any two sided hub will give you two options. If you have a fixed/free hub put you "commuting gear" on the side with the lockring and your "race gearing" on the freewheel side. Not a perfect solution, but better.
Kayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-12, 06:25 AM   #4
chas58
Senior Member
 
chas58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Bikes: too many of all kinds
Posts: 1,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayce View Post
Any two sided hub will give you two options. If you have a fixed/free hub put you "commuting gear" on the side with the lockring and your "race gearing" on the freewheel side. Not a perfect solution, but better.
I commute with 48/18. Racing is more like 48/15. Your are not doing yourself any favors running such a tall gear on the street.
chas58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-12, 08:33 PM   #5
chris675D
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
chris675D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Valley Village, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas58 View Post
+1

I commute with 48/18. Racing is more like 48/15. Your are not doing yourself any favors running such a tall gear on the street.
I just tried out the 52 chainring one day just for fun and really liked how it felt, coming from 46x16. I don't ride it to look tough or anything like that it just feels good to me since it's less spinning. I just got back from the bike shop and my mechanic gave me an 18 and I put it on the freewheel side with some locktight. I don't skid or mess around too much so he said it would be fine. I think once I start riding on the velodrome some more I might gear down. thanks for the advice
chris675D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-12, 09:38 PM   #6
Kayce
Senior Member
 
Kayce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St Louis
Bikes:
Posts: 1,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nothing about your set up is very good. You are very much overgeared for streetriding, no matter how much you think it feels good. It is unsafe and bad for your knees, plus it will be bad for your racing. 52/18 is about right for commuting but it won't help with racing.

Locktite on a fixed cog is not safe, put a lockring on if you are riding on the street. On the velodrome you do not need a lockring because you will never do anything but soft pedal or go up track.

As a general rule for all forums, if you ask for advice and then don't follow it you will stop getting the advice.

Last edited by Kayce; 07-02-12 at 09:42 PM.
Kayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 12:24 AM   #7
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,135
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayce View Post
Nothing about your set up is very good. You are very much overgeared for streetriding, no matter how much you think it feels good. It is unsafe and bad for your knees, plus it will be bad for your racing. 52/18 is about right for commuting but it won't help with racing.

Locktite on a fixed cog is not safe, put a lockring on if you are riding on the street. On the velodrome you do not need a lockring because you will never do anything but soft pedal or go up track.

As a general rule for all forums, if you ask for advice and then don't follow it you will stop getting the advice.
+1
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 10:50 AM   #8
xengravity
Senior Member
 
xengravity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: US
Bikes:
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayce View Post
Nothing about your set up is very good. You are very much overgeared for streetriding, no matter how much you think it feels good. It is unsafe and bad for your knees, plus it will be bad for your racing. 52/18 is about right for commuting but it won't help with racing.

Locktite on a fixed cog is not safe, put a lockring on if you are riding on the street. On the velodrome you do not need a lockring because you will never do anything but soft pedal or go up track.

As a general rule for all forums, if you ask for advice and then don't follow it you will stop getting the advice.
It's all relative and dependent on the rider.

He is running a 52x16 (87.8 inches). Most velodromes would recommend a 49x15 (88.2 inches) for beginners so his setup is just fine for a newbie.

Regardless of riding on the road or track I would recommend always using a lock ring. Some tracks require lock rings and won't let you race without one.
xengravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 01:26 PM   #9
chris675D
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
chris675D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Valley Village, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My rear hub is a flip flop so I can't have a lockring on the freewheel side. I already have a lock ring on the 16 side. And I always run a front brake.
chris675D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 02:12 PM   #10
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,135
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris675D View Post
My rear hub is a flip flop so I can't have a lockring on the freewheel side. I already have a lock ring on the 16 side. And I always run a front brake.
Not to be rude, but...So? It's still a bad idea to ride fixed on the street with no lock ring.

No one is going to hold your hand with this. Use proper equipment or deal with the consequences.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 02:15 PM   #11
chas58
Senior Member
 
chas58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Bikes: too many of all kinds
Posts: 1,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
52x16 is a fine gear for the track. Nothing particularly wrong with it.

You do need to learn to spin on the track - you are not going to be good without effectively spinning.

that lockring thing is controversial. If you never brake hard or backpedal hard you "may be" ok. If that thing comes off - especially in the infield, you are screwed (you can't "always run a front brake" if you are on the track). Still, I've known people who do do the track without a lock ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xengravity View Post
It's all relative and dependent on the rider.

He is running a 52x16 (87.8 inches). Most velodromes would recommend a 49x15 (88.2 inches) for beginners so his setup is just fine for a newbie.

Regardless of riding on the road or track I would recommend always using a lock ring. Some tracks require lock rings and won't let you race without one.
chas58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 03:13 PM   #12
chris675D
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
chris675D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Valley Village, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm never going to use the 18 side on the track and put others in danger. My mechanic has had his shop for over 30 years and done this to many people without having a problem so I'll try this out for a bit until I get a better rear hub. Thanks for the advice everyone.
chris675D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 03:24 PM   #13
bitingduck
Senior Member
 
bitingduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xengravity View Post
Some tracks require lock rings and won't let you race without one.
I've heard that a number of times, and I carry lockrings for almost every sort of wheel that I have (they're meaningless on the old Specialized Trispoke), but in a fair bit of travel I've never seen anyone actually require one.
__________________
Track - the other off-road
http://www.lavelodrome.org
bitingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 03:30 PM   #14
bitingduck
Senior Member
 
bitingduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris675D View Post
I'm never going to use the 18 side on the track and put others in danger. My mechanic has had his shop for over 30 years and done this to many people without having a problem so I'll try this out for a bit until I get a better rear hub. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Riding fixed on the street without a lockring is much worse than riding on the track without a lockring. You tend to ride smaller gears on the road and can transmit more torque to loosen it, and you do it way more often and more abruptly. You're much better off putting the lockring on the street-riding gear than on the track-riding gear-- none of the tracks in SoCal require a lockring. If you've properly installed the gear and are backpedaling hard enough on the track to pop it loose, you're probably already in *way* worse trouble than a loose cog is going to cause.
__________________
Track - the other off-road
http://www.lavelodrome.org
bitingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:34 AM.