Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-12, 12:26 AM   #1
aidandj
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Felt TK2

Found a Felt TK2 for sale for 500. Its a couple years old. I don't know much about them but am interested in getting into track racing. Is this a good deal/what should I look for in the bike that could cause me problems. I would be buying it sight unseen, but through a well known bike mailing list in my town. Anything to watch out for?
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 06:05 AM   #2
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Moving to SSFG from track.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 06:22 AM   #3
8bits
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
why move the thread when he says that he wants to get into track racing?
8bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 07:09 AM   #4
queerpunk
aka mattio
 
queerpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,958
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
Found a Felt TK2 for sale for 500. Its a couple years old. I don't know much about them but am interested in getting into track racing. Is this a good deal/what should I look for in the bike that could cause me problems. I would be buying it sight unseen, but through a well known bike mailing list in my town. Anything to watch out for?
TK2s are good bikes.
The older ones - I don't know what year they switched - don't have steel inserts in the track ends, and the track ends are fairly short. This leads to two problems: a) frequent use, wheel switching, and gear changing eventually chews up the track ends somewhat, and b) your gear options are limited without also changing chains. For example, on my bike, I can't use both a 51x15 and a 48x14 - not enough track end to take up the difference in chain length neded.

The newer ones have steel inserts in the track ends, and the track ends are longer.

What to look for in the bike: frame in good condition (no dents). wheels true. bike overall clean and in good condition.

And it should fit you.
queerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 08:15 AM   #5
aidandj
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by queerpunk View Post
TK2s are good bikes.
The older ones - I don't know what year they switched - don't have steel inserts in the track ends, and the track ends are fairly short. This leads to two problems: a) frequent use, wheel switching, and gear changing eventually chews up the track ends somewhat, and b) your gear options are limited without also changing chains. For example, on my bike, I can't use both a 51x15 and a 48x14 - not enough track end to take up the difference in chain length neded.

The newer ones have steel inserts in the track ends, and the track ends are longer.

What to look for in the bike: frame in good condition (no dent. wheels true. bike overall clean and in good condition.

And it should fit you.
Thanks for letting me know about the inserts ill look into that. I'm worried about the fit, but I'm going to try and find a fit bike in the area and see what they can do. I

And Carlton, I already have a fg I'm looking for a track only bike. I used to ski race nationally and haven't been able to find a sport with enough adrenaline and strength requirements since. I wanted to hear the track guys input on it.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 08:41 AM   #6
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bits View Post
why move the thread when he says that he wants to get into track racing?
Oops.

All of his posts have been SSFG-related. I'll move it back. I apologize.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 08:43 AM   #7
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
Found a Felt TK2 for sale for 500. Its a couple years old. I don't know much about them but am interested in getting into track racing. Is this a good deal/what should I look for in the bike that could cause me problems. I would be buying it sight unseen, but through a well known bike mailing list in my town. Anything to watch out for?
The TK2 is a great bike. I recommend it.

BUT, it depends on the components and obviously the condition.

Does it still have all of the stock components? Condition? Pics?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 10:07 AM   #8
chas58
Senior Member
 
chas58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Bikes: too many of all kinds
Posts: 1,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
its a great $500 bike and a good way to get into track racing. Generally track bikes that have been used only on the track are in much better condition than track bikes that have been used on the street. That makes a difference for me when pricing and purchasing used track equipment.
chas58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:42 PM.