Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-12, 08:50 AM   #1
Not the Slowest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Not the Slowest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Riverdale, NY
Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom
Posts: 743
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Different Clinchers for the Track

Hi folks.
I currently am riding a FELT TK3 with the original Felt TkR-4 30mm deep aluminum aero track rims.

I'm thinking of swapping off the stock Vittoria Rubino Slick foldable 700cX23, with a max 125 PSI
and using Conti Supersonics. Of course I could not tell you if the Vittoria's are good or bad as this is my first track bike. On the road I can define the feel of asome tires
and of course the bike.

The question is whether I could safely use the 700 x 20 with a max 170 PSI or go to
the 700 x 23 with a max 145. I understood that some rims may not be designed for higher PSI.

As a a note I am about 210 lbs.

Of course I could get other clincher or tubular wheels but thought this was as good as any place to start.

Thoughts or suggestions
Not the Slowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 12:41 PM   #2
xengravity
Senior Member
 
xengravity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: US
Bikes:
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Slowest View Post
Hi folks.
I currently am riding a FELT TK3 with the original Felt TkR-4 30mm deep aluminum aero track rims.

I'm thinking of swapping off the stock Vittoria Rubino Slick foldable 700cX23, with a max 125 PSI
and using Conti Supersonics. Of course I could not tell you if the Vittoria's are good or bad as this is my first track bike. On the road I can define the feel of asome tires
and of course the bike.

The question is whether I could safely use the 700 x 20 with a max 170 PSI or go to
the 700 x 23 with a max 145. I understood that some rims may not be designed for higher PSI.

As a a note I am about 210 lbs.

Of course I could get other clincher or tubular wheels but thought this was as good as any place to start.

Thoughts or suggestions
Contact the manufacturer and ask if there are any limitations in regards to max pressure.
xengravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 01:14 PM   #3
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,368
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
My suggestion is to go with 23c at 140PSI. I weigh more than 210 and use them at 140psi. I have a 23c Supersonic on my rear clincher training wheel right now.

The 20c is really narrow. I rode one for one track session and hated it.

The Supersonic is a great tire, but it's a "race tire" so it's fast, thin, and light. It won't last as long as other tires. You can find some high pressure tires that have more rubber on them.

Look into "Open Tubular" type tires or the Vredstein brand to name a few options.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 01:15 PM   #4
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,368
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Also, I remember Vittoria making a 320tpi tire that goes up to 150-160psi, too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 01:19 PM   #5
Not the Slowest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Not the Slowest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Riverdale, NY
Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom
Posts: 743
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xengravity View Post
Contact the manufacturer and ask if there are any limitations in regards to max pressure.
I dd but no answer from them
Not the Slowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 01:21 PM   #6
Not the Slowest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Not the Slowest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Riverdale, NY
Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom
Posts: 743
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks, I did hear that they will not last that long but up here the season is shorter than other parts of the country so I do not expect more than a season. Then again I race once a week, sometimes twice.
Not the Slowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 01:30 PM   #7
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,368
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Slowest View Post
Thanks, I did hear that they will not last that long but up here the season is shorter than other parts of the country so I do not expect more than a season. Then again I race once a week, sometimes twice.
Sounds like you've already made up your mind, but here goes anyway...

I bought them because, at the time, they were the only tires that I knew of that would go over 120psi. Plus they were $30 each on Amazon that day. Win-Win.

Since then I bought a Vredstein Tri Comp. It's a great training/racing tire for an outdoor track that goes up to 160psi. Lots of rubber on it. I loaned it out and had the Supersonic laying around so that's why it's on that wheel now. If I had to buy a new tire today, it would be something else.

There are many others options now with more rubber. I say look around and choose one of those. In my estimation, the Supersonic was designed as a light "race day" tire for triathletes who use clinchers.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 02:12 PM   #8
Not the Slowest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Not the Slowest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Riverdale, NY
Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom
Posts: 743
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Sounds like you've already made up your mind, but here goes anyway...

I bought them because, at the time, they were the only tires that I knew of that would go over 120psi. Plus they were $30 each on Amazon that day. Win-Win.

Since then I bought a Vredstein Tri Comp. It's a great training/racing tire for an outdoor track that goes up to 160psi. Lots of rubber on it. I loaned it out and had the Supersonic laying around so that's why it's on that wheel now. If I had to buy a new tire today, it would be something else.

There are many others options now with more rubber. I say look around and choose one of those. In my estimation, the Supersonic was designed as a light "race day" tire for triathletes who use clinchers.
Actually I did not make up my mind so I am all ears open wide and listening. I have found only great suggestions and comments here.
My comment on how long they last were just from commnets made on review sites.
I race at Kissena an outdoor venue so I'm all game for saving a few bucks and giving me a bit of an edge.

Thanks Robert

Who knows, by the time spring rolls in I may find some other wheels. In the meantime I will try to get faster and stronger. I haven't run into too many people who want to get slower and weaker
Not the Slowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 03:54 PM   #9
bitingduck
Senior Member
 
bitingduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Supersonics aren't *that* thin. I got some for my ellipses (which are training only wheels) and they've lasted through a lot of track time and a lot of road and off-road time. My girlfriend uses the ellipses when she's riding her fixed gear on the road, and that frequently includes fire roads. They've been holding up fine for several thousand miles, I don't think either of us has ever gotten a flat on them.

The rim is probably your big limiting factor-- even the ellipse rims, which are among the beefiest track rims I've seen, are only rated to 145 or 150 or something. There's not a big advantage to super high pressures for clinchers, and some disdvantage- at high pressures you're going to increase your chance of blowing the bead off the rim going through a turn fast (seen it happen). You get a brief bead lift, the tube peeks out, explodes, then the bead sets back in place while you slide on the apron.

20 mm tires are only good for TTs. If you're riding a track with any banking at all you want something like a 23 and a round cross section.
__________________
Track - the other off-road
http://www.lavelodrome.org
bitingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 05:27 PM   #10
kyle!
what.
 
kyle!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SD, CA, USA
Bikes: raleigh rush hour
Posts: 1,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah people get way too into the idea of having the thinnest tire possible on the track. Leave that to the pros or big race days and keep it comfy for the weekly stuff.

I raced nothing but 19/20's until this year when I put some 23 supersonics on my ellipses. So good. I even lowered my psi to 120 max from my usual 130/135. Even better as our track is anything but smooth lately. So I'll echo the duck's sentiment. Supersonics, while light and thin, are definitely beefy enough for weekly racing.
kyle! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 07:58 PM   #11
Pantani98
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Bikes: yes!
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a '12 TK3 and have been using the stock Vittoria Rubino Slicks w/o any issues. Of course, they're my first track use tire so I have nothing to compare them to. I'd like to pick up a set of the SuperSonics as I've heard nothing but great things about them. My big plan is to use the stock wheels for training and get a set of tubulars for racing.
Pantani98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 01:14 AM   #12
JMR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitingduck View Post
The rim is probably your big limiting factor-- even the ellipse rims, which are among the beefiest track rims I've seen, are only rated to 145 or 150 or something. There's not a big advantage to super high pressures for clinchers, and some disdvantage- at high pressures you're going to increase your chance of blowing the bead off the rim going through a turn fast (seen it happen). You get a brief bead lift, the tube peeks out, explodes, then the bead sets back in place while you slide on the apron.
+1

I wouldn't even try running more than 145 PSI in a clincher... it's just asking for a rim failure IMO.

I would challenge that you would be any faster on 175 PSI than 145 anyway... maybe on an indoor board track, but that's it.

JMR
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 04:32 AM   #13
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,368
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
On a related note, I contacted Velocity about maximum tire pressure for their rims. They responded that I could go as high as the tire stated with no problem.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 09:31 AM   #14
bitingduck
Senior Member
 
bitingduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR View Post
I would challenge that you would be any faster on 175 PSI than 145 anyway... maybe on an indoor board track, but that's it.
Clinchers already generally have lower rolling resistance at ~120 psi than most tubulars at ~170 psi (the glue can be very lossy). On anything but perfect concrete or a really smooth indoor track higher pressure is going to start being counterproductive because your tire won't flex enough to stay in contact with the track as you go over all the small features.
__________________
Track - the other off-road
http://www.lavelodrome.org
bitingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 10:29 PM   #15
JMR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
On a related note, I contacted Velocity about maximum tire pressure for their rims. They responded that I could go as high as the tire stated with no problem.
Really? I emailed Velocity here in Australia to enquire about the max pressure I could run on Deep-V rims and was told 120PSI.

Here is the email conversation:

Hello J,
Some go higher but we don`t recommend it.
regards
albert
----- Original Message -----
From:
To:
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2012 2:21 PM
Subject: RE: max tyre pressure on 700c Deep V rim

Thanks Albert… even on track? (no heat into the rims from braking)

Kind regards,

JMR


From: Albert [mailto:albert]
Sent: Monday, 5 March 2012 2:17 PM
To: JMR
Subject: Re: max tyre pressure on 700c Deep V rim

Hello J
120 max
regards
albert
----- Original Message -----
From:
To: info@velocitywheels
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2012 2:02 PM
Subject: max tyre pressure on 700c Deep V rim

Hi,

Just hoping you could tell me what the maximum tyre pressure I can run using a Velocity Deep V rim is?

Thanks.

Kind regards,

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 09-26-12 at 10:33 PM.
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 06:37 AM   #16
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,368
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Hmmm... well, this is what I was told by a guy named Adam from Velocity USA:

"Carleton

For tire pressure we would default to the max pressure listed on the tire as the appropriate gauge for pressure limits due to the fact that the tire will give out long before the rim would."

Great. Who is right?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 09:05 AM   #17
Not the Slowest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Not the Slowest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Riverdale, NY
Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom
Posts: 743
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Great....Now what
Not the Slowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 12:15 PM   #18
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,368
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Slowest View Post
Great....Now what
Well, I'm 240+ lbs and I've been using high pressure (140-160psi) in my clinchers (Deep V and Mavic Ellipse) consistently on steep-ish tracks for a long time. I use tubular most of the time. But, when my tubular wheels are flat (due to punctures) I use my clinchers till I get the tubulars repaired.

I've only had one blowout with a clincher and that happened immediately when I got on the track (like 20 meters). I suspect that was because the bead wasn't set right. It was a Conti GP 4000 tire rated for 120psi and I pumped it to 130psi. I didn't mount the tire myself, the mechanic at a shop did. I should have checked his work. I count that as user error on my part for not maintaining my equipment myself.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 12:36 PM   #19
Not the Slowest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Not the Slowest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Riverdale, NY
Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom
Posts: 743
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Sounds as if I should be safe especialy since my track is no where near deep banked.
Thanks, sounds like this should work then. In the meantime I'll work on my Speed and Strength and maybe a nice set of tubulars will fall in my lap creating an entire new series of questions.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Well, I'm 240+ lbs and I've been using high pressure (140-160psi) in my clinchers (Deep V and Mavic Ellipse) consistently on steep-ish tracks for a long time. I use tubular most of the time. But, when my tubular wheels are flat (due to punctures) I use my clinchers till I get the tubulars repaired.

I've only had one blowout with a clincher and that happened immediately when I got on the track (like 20 meters). I suspect that was because the bead wasn't set right. It was a Conti GP 4000 tire rated for 120psi and I pumped it to 130psi. I didn't mount the tire myself, the mechanic at a shop did. I should have checked his work. I count that as user error on my part for not maintaining my equipment myself.
Not the Slowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 12:37 PM   #20
Not the Slowest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Not the Slowest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Riverdale, NY
Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom
Posts: 743
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Which particular model of Tri Comp did you use as I found several with high PSI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Sounds like you've already made up your mind, but here goes anyway...

I bought them because, at the time, they were the only tires that I knew of that would go over 120psi. Plus they were $30 each on Amazon that day. Win-Win.

Since then I bought a Vredstein Tri Comp. It's a great training/racing tire for an outdoor track that goes up to 160psi. Lots of rubber on it. I loaned it out and had the Supersonic laying around so that's why it's on that wheel now. If I had to buy a new tire today, it would be something else.

There are many others options now with more rubber. I say look around and choose one of those. In my estimation, the Supersonic was designed as a light "race day" tire for triathletes who use clinchers.
Not the Slowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 01:38 PM   #21
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,368
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Slowest View Post
Which particular model of Tri Comp did you use as I found several with high PSI.
I can't recall and I don't have the tire right now (still loaned out).

Don't over-think this.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 01:42 PM   #22
Not the Slowest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Not the Slowest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Riverdale, NY
Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom
Posts: 743
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post

Don't over-think this.
TOO late, just kidding. I am sure the current tires on my bike are fine, but we all look for an edge.
As big(ger) guys we all may be a bit slower getting out of the gate, but once the train is rolling get out of the waaaaaay.
Not the Slowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 10:14 AM   #23
chas58
Senior Member
 
chas58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Bikes: too many of all kinds
Posts: 1,790
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Velocity does not have any rating on their rims. Velocity told me that if I ran a continental supersonic 700x20c at 170 psi, I should be fine.

Ellipse has a specific pressure rating (145psi ) and rider weight limit (for the newer version).

A 20mm tire is going to have more sidewall flex and a higher rolling resistance unless you really put a lot of air in it. You can look at the famous tire pressure drop chart and article (http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf) but that 20mm tire is going to need over 150psi to match the % tire pressure drop of a 23mm tire at 130psi.

I think the only real advantage between 20 and 23 mm clincher might be aero, but how much is that really worth.

But on the subject, I have been riding on the road the new Michelin pro4. It has an interesting pointy profile that
1) makes it more aero
2) gives it a lot wider rubber patch on turns - which could be good for slower riding on a steep velodrome.

It does seem to have a smoother ride too, which would be a benefit for those of us on outdoor tracks. Food for thought...






Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Hmmm... well, this is what I was told by a guy named Adam from Velocity USA:

"Carleton

For tire pressure we would default to the max pressure listed on the tire as the appropriate gauge for pressure limits due to the fact that the tire will give out long before the rim would."

Great. Who is right?
chas58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 04:52 PM   #24
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,368
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Slowest View Post
TOO late, just kidding. I am sure the current tires on my bike are fine, but we all look for an edge.
As big(ger) guys we all may be a bit slower getting out of the gate, but once the train is rolling get out of the waaaaaay.
Ummm...no one at DLV can beat me out of the gate (seriously)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 07:42 PM   #25
JMR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Well, I'm 240+ lbs and I've been using high pressure (140-160psi) in my clinchers (Deep V and Mavic Ellipse) consistently on steep-ish tracks for a long time. I use tubular most of the time. But, when my tubular wheels are flat (due to punctures) I use my clinchers till I get the tubulars repaired.

I've only had one blowout with a clincher and that happened immediately when I got on the track (like 20 meters). I suspect that was because the bead wasn't set right. It was a Conti GP 4000 tire rated for 120psi and I pumped it to 130psi. I didn't mount the tire myself, the mechanic at a shop did. I should have checked his work. I count that as user error on my part for not maintaining my equipment myself.
I did think that 120psi seemed pretty low... especially on a track rim (no heat from braking), also they are a solid looking rim and not exactly lightweight!

I think I am going to start running 145 in them.

JMR
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:31 AM.