Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-16-12, 02:28 PM   #1
validname
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Bikes: Road & Track
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Frame for big rider

Can someone share some experience with track frames for tall riders?

I'm about to get a new frame because my old one made of Columbus steel is not stiff enough. My size is 196 cm (6' 5") with a weight of 92 kg (202lb) and I'm looking for a 60 frame.

My road bike is made of aluminum but I was also looking into fiber and titanium. I don't have any experience with either one of them and there are so many different opinion about it. A good friend recommamd Demon Frameworks from England. I really like the work from what I saw. He's using Reynolds 853 but the price is even more than a titanium frame! So I'm quite unsure.

Looking forward for any feedback or experience!
validname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-12, 04:45 PM   #2
mcafiero
Italian Stallion
 
mcafiero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver
Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Supersix; Dolan Df3; 1980's GIOS Pista;
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got a Dolan DF3 and it's plenty stiff. Also consider Tiemeyer.
mcafiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-12, 05:24 PM   #3
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,257
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Titanium isn't worth it. And it's not stiffer than aluminum.

Get *quality* carbon or aluminum for stiffness.

I think the Felt TK2 comes in 60cm. It's a great mid-level complete bike (among others). Just swap the bars out for standard road bars or track sprint bars.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-12, 09:52 AM   #4
validname
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Bikes: Road & Track
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcafiero View Post
I've got a Dolan DF3 and it's plenty stiff. Also consider Tiemeyer.

Thanks for the reply! I was already looking into Dolan frames I really like the Seta frame. May I ask how much your weight is?
validname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-12, 01:07 PM   #5
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,257
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by validname View Post
Thanks for the reply! I was already looking into Dolan frames I really like the Seta frame. May I ask how much your weight is?
Dolans are nice. I weigh 240lbs (108kg) or less and my DF3 held up fine.

Some of the budget carbon frames will flex under a heavy rider who may make more torque than a smaller rider. That is why I suggested quality carbon.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-12, 01:31 PM   #6
validname
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Bikes: Road & Track
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Dolans are nice. I weigh 240lbs (108kg) or less and my DF3 held up fine.

Some of the budget carbon frames will flex under a heavy rider who may make more torque than a smaller rider. That is why I suggested quality carbon.
Thanks for the advice! So you would prefer carbon over aluminum?
validname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-12, 05:39 PM   #7
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,257
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by validname View Post
Thanks for the advice! So you would prefer carbon over aluminum?
Honestly, they are about the same. Fit and angles are more important than the difference between carbon and aluminum.

My aluminum Tiemeyer was slightly stiffer than my Dolan. My aluminum Tiemeyer was 3lbs lighter than my Felt TK1. But the carbon bikes absorbed bumps and vibrations better. So, there are pros and cons, but no clear advantage in terms of performance.

So, in short, they are really interchangeable. I just wouldn't consider steel, that's all.

The best bang for the buck is with aluminum, hands-down.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-12, 05:40 PM   #8
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,257
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
If you are looking to get faster on the track, there are several ways to improve. The frame is one of the least of them.

See my post here: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post14849124

But, if you want a carbon bike because you like it, then there's no harm in that either. This is our hobby. What's wrong with having nice things?

I have both carbon and aluminum track frames.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-12, 08:42 PM   #9
JMR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ask this guy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hugebike.jpg (53.6 KB, 26 views)
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-12, 11:17 PM   #10
brawlo
Senior Member
 
brawlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
http://alienbikes.com/v3/

You could look at these. I'm 6'5" and I have 2. The first which is the one I'm still riding was an early incarnation of their development. It's a bit sloppy in the front, but the second frame I have has 50% thicker top and downtubes and should have a much more stable front end, but I've been really slack and haven't cut it down yet so can't fully comment just yet. We start our racing season next week, so I'm going to do it this weekend. So I could get back to you in a week or so.

Interestingly, the guy who developed them is REALLY finnicky and actually raced the world masters on his older aluminium bike. He just has not been happy with the carbon steerer forks. So from that, you could consider aluminium custom, or look at those frames. My previous bike was a Cinelli frame. Same geometry as but prior to Vigorelli. The frame I'm using is still stiffer than the Cinelli when you're up in the pedals stamping it down.

I'm looking forward to trying out the revised frame and I have a set of rock solid but heavy forks to try with it as well if I find I don't quite like the fork that comes with it.

I know from personal experience that you have few options. You can look at the alien, which was always going to be a big carbon frame that was not ridiculously expensive, or you can go custom. If you do go for custom, make sure you do your builder research.

Or of course being German, perhaps you could come across one of Carsten Bergemann's old FES frames. That would be perfectly nice!
brawlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-12, 12:59 AM   #11
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,257
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brawlo View Post
I know the guy that runs this. He's a nice guy. He races track, too. He's also a fellow "big guy" so I'm sure that he makes sure that his bikes can handle it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-12, 03:24 AM   #12
brawlo
Senior Member
 
brawlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
It was an interesting experience following the development with the frame. He really doesn't like average, and that's certainly a good thing. Yes, very nice guy.
brawlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-12, 03:54 AM   #13
validname
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Bikes: Road & Track
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alien Bikes look very interesting! I was trying to get in contact with him but both of the email adresses aren't working. Is he still around?
validname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-12, 11:19 AM   #14
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,257
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by validname View Post
Alien Bikes look very interesting! I was trying to get in contact with him but both of the email adresses aren't working. Is he still around?
I just emailed him. I'll let you know when he replies.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-12, 11:29 AM   #15
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,257
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
He just replied to me that he's having email issues for which he apologizes. And that "the V3 is still in development and has a few issues to be worked out. Mainly the seat clamp needs to be beefed up."
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-12, 12:17 PM   #16
validname
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Bikes: Road & Track
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
He just replied to me that he's having email issues for which he apologizes. And that "the V3 is still in development and has a few issues to be worked out. Mainly the seat clamp needs to be beefed up."
Thanks man you seem like a cool guy! I'm not in a hurry to get a new frame so I can wait till the V3 is ready. You think you can pm me his email adress so I can get in touch with him? Or I can give you mine
validname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-12, 05:31 PM   #17
Dalai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 2,009
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brawlo View Post
You could look at these. I'm 6'5" and I have 2.
Any photos of your bikes?
Dalai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-12, 08:50 PM   #18
brawlo
Senior Member
 
brawlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Here's a pic from a while ago. If I pull the finger out this weekend I'll post the new sprint style setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alien.JPG (60.7 KB, 45 views)
brawlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-12, 09:02 PM   #19
bigfred 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NZ
Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1
Posts: 3,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm also 195cm/6'5" and have been going through the same search as track season just started here in the Southern Hemi. The largest of the commercially available frames I could find was Specialized's Langster Pro in a "61cm" That's actual to the top of the seat tube. It's also got one of the longer head tubes and front centers. If ordered as a frame set they come with an uncut steerer that apparently extends approx. 80mm above the headtube. If purchased as a complete bike the steering tube is cut to headtube + 40mm. But, there won't be any framesets in their NA system until December.

Ridley used to make traditional style Oval frames up to a 66cm I believe. But, I'm not certain if they still do and we don't have a distributor here that I'm aware of.

Both of the above are aluminum.
__________________
Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.
bigfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-12, 09:45 PM   #20
brawlo
Senior Member
 
brawlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfred View Post
I'm also 195cm/6'5" and have been going through the same search as track season just started here in the Southern Hemi. The largest of the commercially available frames I could find was Specialized's Langster Pro in a "61cm" That's actual to the top of the seat tube. It's also got one of the longer head tubes and front centers. If ordered as a frame set they come with an uncut steerer that apparently extends approx. 80mm above the headtube. If purchased as a complete bike the steering tube is cut to headtube + 40mm. But, there won't be any framesets in their NA system until December.

Ridley used to make traditional style Oval frames up to a 66cm I believe. But, I'm not certain if they still do and we don't have a distributor here that I'm aware of.

Both of the above are aluminum.
Those Langsters only go to a 585mm TT and the Ridleys to 590mm.

I would say keep a good eye on your top tube lengths. Not so sure about rest of the world, but anything above club racing here is subjected to UCI rules. I started out on a 58cm TT Cinelli and I just couldn't stretch out enough within the parameters of the rules. In the end it was a longer TT or nothing. I had almost settled on going custom aluminium until I heard of the Alien frame development. I prefer sprinting and I had given my Cinelli skid marks within the chainstays from flex. The prospect of a larger stock frame meant most likely more flex from the larger dimensions as they're primarily built as a points racer style of bike, not a sprinter.

If you're not sprint orientated, then I might suggest the Felts as they go up to 607mm TT length. If you like to sprint, then go custom aluminium or look for something carbon like the Alien or even Serenity (60cm TT but for a significantly higher price).

As it is, my fitted sprint setup on the 61cm TT Alien is with the stem 25mm lower and a 20mm longer stem (140mm) than in the pic. It fits like a glove and I have longer legs as opposed to a long torso.
brawlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-12, 10:21 PM   #21
bigfred 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NZ
Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1
Posts: 3,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brawlo View Post
Those Langsters only go to a 585mm TT and the Ridleys to 590mm.

I would say keep a good eye on your top tube lengths. Not so sure about rest of the world, but anything above club racing here is subjected to UCI rules. I started out on a 58cm TT Cinelli and I just couldn't stretch out enough within the parameters of the rules. In the end it was a longer TT or nothing. I had almost settled on going custom aluminium until I heard of the Alien frame development. I prefer sprinting and I had given my Cinelli skid marks within the chainstays from flex. The prospect of a larger stock frame meant most likely more flex from the larger dimensions as they're primarily built as a points racer style of bike, not a sprinter.

If you're not sprint orientated, then I might suggest the Felts as they go up to 607mm TT length. If you like to sprint, then go custom aluminium or look for something carbon like the Alien or even Serenity (60cm TT but for a significantly higher price).

As it is, my fitted sprint setup on the 61cm TT Alien is with the stem 25mm lower and a 20mm longer stem (140mm) than in the pic. It fits like a glove and I have longer legs as opposed to a long torso.

It was my understanding that the measurement on drop bars was from the front wheel axle. Is that not correct? If so, the front centers between the Langsters and the Felt are within 3mm of each other. Or, am I misinterpretting this?

Thankfully my torso isn't very long. So, my challenge is mostly just saddle height. And, I don't have a sprint, so if I'm going to be successful at this its going to be pursuiting and enduro events.

However, for the price, the Alien looks very interesting. I'll be interested to hear your reports on the new frame. Keep us posted. Thanks,
__________________
Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.
bigfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-12, 12:40 AM   #22
brawlo
Senior Member
 
brawlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfred View Post
It was my understanding that the measurement on drop bars was from the front wheel axle. Is that not correct? If so, the front centers between the Langsters and the Felt are within 3mm of each other. Or, am I misinterpretting this?

Thankfully my torso isn't very long. So, my challenge is mostly just saddle height. And, I don't have a sprint, so if I'm going to be successful at this its going to be pursuiting and enduro events.

However, for the price, the Alien looks very interesting. I'll be interested to hear your reports on the new frame. Keep us posted. Thanks,
The bars are allowed to extend 50mm in front of the front axle at their most forward point. For sprint events, this is allowed to extend to 100mm. For me, I needed a 170mm stem to take advantage of the extra room allowed, but I would be constantly changing back and forth between the setups. not to mention 170mm stems are pretty hard to come by. Of course you are controlled by your own physical dimensions, so go for whatever TT fits the motor. I'm just saying that for me at the same height as the OP and with relatively long legs, I really make use of the extra TT length from the bigger frame.

As for the bikes, the new frame is cut up now and should be assembled tomorrow. First hitout should be training on Monday.
brawlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 02:13 AM   #23
validname
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Bikes: Road & Track
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Carlton you think you can give me his email adress so I can get in touch with him?
validname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 04:30 AM   #24
brawlo
Senior Member
 
brawlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
After a session of standing starts yesterday, I can say the newer frame I have is WAY stiffer in the front than the old one. It's a lot more responsive in the steering and a real pleasure to ride. I've seen pics of the frame with a curve in the seat post just above the BB. Guessing these are a newer revision on the design, so it's evolving and therefore can only get better. It's a testament to the guy's commitment to the design of the frame as he's really designing the frame for himself. Rest assured he won't stop until it's the meanest carbon track frame for the money.
brawlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 06:59 AM   #25
validname
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Bikes: Road & Track
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brawlo View Post
After a session of standing starts yesterday, I can say the newer frame I have is WAY stiffer in the front than the old one. It's a lot more responsive in the steering and a real pleasure to ride. I've seen pics of the frame with a curve in the seat post just above the BB. Guessing these are a newer revision on the design, so it's evolving and therefore can only get better. It's a testament to the guy's commitment to the design of the frame as he's really designing the frame for himself. Rest assured he won't stop until it's the meanest carbon track frame for the money.
Sounds good! That's what I'm looking for! Can't wait to order mine
validname is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:21 AM.