Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Member VeloNewbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Getting into Track Racing

    Hey guys, I kind of new to this forum. I have been a "Roadie"(kind of) for about a year now(not in full kit yet). Took a nasty crash about 2 weeks ago(posted in the Road forum). Im not in any clubs or anything unfortunately, but want to be. I usually ride by myself for the most part. I am still a little new to road cycling, but I THINK I want to get into track racing also. I live in the inner city of Atlanta, and sometimes I "train" on my road bike or my fixed gear bike. I dont know many people to cycle with in my area because the area I live in, most people only cycle to commute to bars or the grocery store, or for the fixed gear style(see Hipster. I have many friends in that cult unfortunately.LOL). I know theres a track in East Point, GA, and since its not far from me, I want to take advantage of that. I will be EXTREMELY nervous to ride around others in the beginner classes since I usually ride by myself. I dont want to look dumb out there.LOL. Anyway, my question is, should I get more saddle time on the road first before hitting up the Velo, or can I/should I try to jump into track racing now? Sorry for the long post. Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member xengravity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    US
    Posts
    109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jump into track racing now.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NZ
    My Bikes
    More than 1, but, less than S-1
    Posts
    3,676
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have shoes, pedals and a pair of shorts, go now. You'll learn a lot of things that will transfer to your road riding (spinning, handling, etc.).
    Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Kayce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    1,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont shame the fixie hipsters, a lot of them will beat you on the track see: Chicago cutting crew.
    If You Meet The Buddha On The Road, Kill Him

  5. #5
    Senior Member Impreza_aL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    My Bikes
    yellow tricycle di2 grip shifters
    Posts
    374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/

    They have a site figure out when they have beginner sessions and get on the track!
    fried chicken and waffles.

  6. #6
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,167
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloNewbie View Post
    Hey guys, I kind of new to this forum. I have been a "Roadie"(kind of) for about a year now(not in full kit yet). Took a nasty crash about 2 weeks ago(posted in the Road forum). Im not in any clubs or anything unfortunately, but want to be. I usually ride by myself for the most part. I am still a little new to road cycling, but I THINK I want to get into track racing also. I live in the inner city of Atlanta, and sometimes I "train" on my road bike or my fixed gear bike. I dont know many people to cycle with in my area because the area I live in, most people only cycle to commute to bars or the grocery store, or for the fixed gear style(see Hipster. I have many friends in that cult unfortunately.LOL). I know theres a track in East Point, GA, and since its not far from me, I want to take advantage of that. I will be EXTREMELY nervous to ride around others in the beginner classes since I usually ride by myself. I dont want to look dumb out there.LOL. Anyway, my question is, should I get more saddle time on the road first before hitting up the Velo, or can I/should I try to jump into track racing now? Sorry for the long post. Thanks
    You'll be fine. The people at DLV are really nice (myself included).

    Don't worry about being nervous when riding with others. You'll get over it. I've seen people that were literally shaking with fear on the bike turn in to comfortable racing vets in no time.

    The season is over at DLV right now. Keep an eye out for a Beginner's Class sometime in March 2013, which will be 1 month before the season starts.

    http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/pag...erprogram.html

    Keep an eye out for when "Winter Training" starts. Usually in January or so. Come and watch and ask questions. You won't be able to ride the track till you finish the beginner class for safety and insurance reasons.

    The calender is actually up to date: http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/calendar

    If 8 year old kids can do it, you can do it!
    http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/pag...ingleague.html

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Huntersville, NC
    My Bikes
    yes!
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DLV is definitely a great place to start. I took the beginner class last year, having never been on a track before (I'm 43). You won't realize how much more comfortable on a track you'll be until the weekend is over. The class gets broken into 2 groups: experienced and noobs. The pace is perfect and there is a constant emphasis on safety. You'll regret it if you don't do it. Everyone is easy to talk to and friendly. And yes, Carleton is a great guy. He entertained my wife during the entire second day. Thanks! I had some issues last year but have been steadily on the rollers and in the gym and am fired up for next season. I'll definitely be back at DLV. Best of luck and ask anyway. Everyone here is more than happy to offer advice.

  8. #8
    Senior Member VeloNewbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayce View Post
    Dont shame the fixie hipsters, a lot of them will beat you on the track see: Chicago cutting crew.
    LOL. I know this. Some of my friends do alleycats and they move like bats out of h***!

  9. #9
    Senior Member VeloNewbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    You'll be fine. The people at DLV are really nice (myself included).

    Don't worry about being nervous when riding with others. You'll get over it. I've seen people that were literally shaking with fear on the bike turn in to comfortable racing vets in no time.

    The season is over at DLV right now. Keep an eye out for a Beginner's Class sometime in March 2013, which will be 1 month before the season starts.

    http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/pag...erprogram.html

    Keep an eye out for when "Winter Training" starts. Usually in January or so. Come and watch and ask questions. You won't be able to ride the track till you finish the beginner class for safety and insurance reasons.

    The calender is actually up to date: http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/calendar

    If 8 year old kids can do it, you can do it!
    http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/pag...ingleague.html
    Awsome! I cant wait to watch some people out there before I jump into it. It will just be weird for me though since I usually ride by myself. I dont have a high end track bike(I dont think I need a full carbon rig.lol.). Its a KHS Flite 100 with everyday parts(IRD cranks, profile hubs, NJS stem, Brooks saddle, etc.). How many people are usually in the beginner class?

  10. #10
    Senior Member VeloNewbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, thanks for all the replies so far guys

  11. #11
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,167
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloNewbie View Post
    Awsome! I cant wait to watch some people out there before I jump into it. It will just be weird for me though since I usually ride by myself. I dont have a high end track bike(I dont think I need a full carbon rig.lol.). Its a KHS Flite 100 with everyday parts(IRD cranks, profile hubs, NJS stem, Brooks saddle, etc.). How many people are usually in the beginner class?
    If you are a morning person, stop by on Saturday Sunday mornings between like 9-11AM. There are a few people that sometimes train during that time. It's no guarantee, but you might see some regulars there. Just say hi.

    Don't sweat the fact that you don't have a high-end bike. Most don't either. Here is the DLV Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/dlv/pool/

    Have a look and see the normal gear that people use. Yeah, there are guys that ride fancy stuff, but most don't. Most bikes are aluminum. Then a few carbon and steel frames. You'll find out quickly that a fancy frame won't make you significantly faster. A frame to a cyclist is like a set of basketball shoes to a basketball player. You really just need them to fit well and be durable. Many people buy high end gear to solve particular problems (like flexing) or just to have fancy things (there's nothing wrong with that).

  12. #12
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,167
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For example, here are Pros Oscar Clark and O'Neil Samuals. Oscar raced a steel fuji that day and O'Neil raced a converted aluminum road TT frame. Both are fast as hell.


  13. #13
    Senior Member chas58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,053
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’ll do fine. Just take it easy and try to keep the adrenaline under control. ;-) I road that bike for over a year and was quite happy with it for a long time.

  14. #14
    Senior Member VeloNewbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant wait! I think my KHS Flite 100 will get the job done. I just need to get rid of my heavy wheelset on there now(velocity B43). I want to get a set of more track oriented wheels, but keep my velocity B43 for city riding(they're strong).

  15. #15
    Senior Member chas58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,053
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good idea!
    Those things are going to be hard to accelerate with.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Kayce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    1,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have two decent options when it comes to track wheels. You can build yourself a pretty good set of wheels and have them be pretty all around. So ideally a flip flop good hub, and nice clincher rim. This way they can be used for any race, and warming up. Or you can drop more money and have a set of training/ warm-up wheels and a set of race wheels. The race wheels can be some really really nice hubs and tubular rims.

    It depends on what track youre racing, your own personal goals, and your finances.
    If You Meet The Buddha On The Road, Kill Him

  17. #17
    Senior Member VeloNewbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chas58 View Post
    good idea!
    Those things are going to be hard to accelerate with.
    Yeah, Ive always saw the B43 rims as more of a stylish rim over functional. LOL. They can take a beating though

  18. #18
    Senior Member VeloNewbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking about doing a all around setup to start with. Then once I start racing more and more, I want to get 2 purpose built wheelsets like you were saying. That would be great.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Kayce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    1,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a lot of people, myself included, the all around wheel becomes the training wheel when you get the nice shiney race wheels.
    If You Meet The Buddha On The Road, Kill Him

  20. #20
    aka mattio queerpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chas58 View Post
    good idea!
    Those things are going to be hard to accelerate with.
    eh. probably not any more than a lot of high-end aero track wheels. ubiquitous discs and 5-spokes are no lightweights.
    the hipster myth.

    i practice vagabondery.

  21. #21
    Morton Nagrom_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East Bay
    My Bikes
    Kilo TT, CAAD10
    Posts
    9,720
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by queerpunk View Post
    eh. probably not any more than a lot of high-end aero track wheels. ubiquitous discs and 5-spokes are no lightweights.
    It has a lot to do with how the weight is distributed. B43's pack all their weight as far from the axle as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    No offense but you're an idiot.
    PedalRoom

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •