Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member maidenfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    570
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    58cm used Tiemeyer on ebay

    Just curious to what you all think about the frame, fork, etc? It appears to be an older model as the current ones come w/enve forks. If there is anything in particular that would make you hesitant to bid. I'm assuming this is the "Large" size w/a 57cm center to center TT.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200855814439
    "Others don't understand because I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs." Alexandr Karelin - the most dominating Greco-Roman wrestler - ever

  2. #2
    Morton Nagrom_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East Bay
    My Bikes
    CAAD3, CAAD10, GT Avalanche
    Posts
    9,758
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New ones also come with CK headsets.
    Still might be a deal if it goes for low enough.

    Carleton can probably shed some light.
    Last edited by Nagrom_; 11-30-12 at 12:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    No offense but you're an idiot.
    PedalRoom

  3. #3
    aka mattio queerpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,496
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've known a lot of people who've ridden Tiemeyers. I've never known somebody to be particularly unhappy with a Tiemeyer, but I have known several people who've had them crack.
    the hipster myth.

    i practice vagabondery.

  4. #4
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,415
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maidenfan View Post
    Just curious to what you all think about the frame, fork, etc? It appears to be an older model as the current ones come w/enve forks. If there is anything in particular that would make you hesitant to bid. I'm assuming this is the "Large" size w/a 57cm center to center TT.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200855814439
    Looks OK. But each "Signature" frame is made custom for the customer. This means custom angles, too.

    I'd ask for:
    - Head Tube Angle
    - Seat Tube Angle
    - Fork Rake

    Those 3 dimensions determine what makes a TT, Sprint, or Mass Start frame.

    If I had to guess, based on the use of the Reynolds fork and short head tube (11cm?), this is a Mass Start and/or TT frame.

    But, if you aren't picky about angles yet, then if you can get it for a good price, go for it. I love my Tiemeyer.

  5. #5
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,415
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by queerpunk View Post
    I've known a lot of people who've ridden Tiemeyers. I've never known somebody to be particularly unhappy with a Tiemeyer, but I have known several people who've had them crack.
    That sucks. Crack where?

    I've only known one Tiemeyer to crack/break and that was from a crash. This was a month before Masters Nationals. Mr. Tiemeyer worked hard to get the guy a new custom frame within weeks. Cool guy.

  6. #6
    Senior Member maidenfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    570
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.
    "Others don't understand because I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs." Alexandr Karelin - the most dominating Greco-Roman wrestler - ever

  7. #7
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,415
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm in Portland right now. I had a beer last night with Kirk. The subject of track frames came up. I told him that my LOOK 496 was only slightly better than my Tiemeyer. But the Tiemeyer uses standard headsets, stems, forks, & seatposts, which make it A LOT more serviceable!

    If I need a new stem from my LOOK, I have to call France. If I need a new stem for my Tiemeyer, I go to my bike shop down the street.

  8. #8
    aka mattio queerpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,496
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    That sucks. Crack where?

    I've only known one Tiemeyer to crack/break and that was from a crash. This was a month before Masters Nationals. Mr. Tiemeyer worked hard to get the guy a new custom frame within weeks. Cool guy.
    seatstays.

    yeah, i've heard great things about working with dave tiemeyer. in particular, that his fits are very thorough.

    but i also doubt that he'd be willing to go to that sort of trouble for somebody who bought one of his bikes off of ebay. by which i mean: same warranty stuff applies as in buying anything used.
    the hipster myth.

    i practice vagabondery.

  9. #9
    Senior Member maidenfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    570
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    I'm in Portland right now. I had a beer last night with Kirk. The subject of track frames came up. I told him that my LOOK 496 was only slightly better than my Tiemeyer. But the Tiemeyer uses standard headsets, stems, forks, & seatposts, which make it A LOT more serviceable!

    If I need a new stem from my LOOK, I have to call France. If I need a new stem for my Tiemeyer, I go to my bike shop down the street.
    Nice man, I'm really starting to like that guy. I've been having a lot of fun at his spin classes and am bummed I cant go for a week or two while I heal up. I emailed him for some advice and he called me and we're going to meet up over coffee and discuss a training plan.

    Thanks for the advice on the frame - I think I'll hold off on that one - seems a little rough. I think I'll be better for now on off-the-floor Felt, Bianchi or something similar.
    "Others don't understand because I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs." Alexandr Karelin - the most dominating Greco-Roman wrestler - ever

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •