Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/)
-   -   Entry Level Track Frame (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/870015-entry-level-track-frame.html)

Jaytron 01-29-13 12:58 AM

Entry Level Track Frame
 
I'm looking for a good entry level track frame that I can grow into. Why? My Steel 722 is 1- a boat anchor and 2- a size too small (sizing charts for a road bike didn't transfer over well)

I'm looking into these:

Dolan Pre Cursa $350 for the frameset (leaning toward this, seems like the best bang for your buck)
http://www.dpmsports.com/dolan/03-track/precursa.html

Leader 721 $250 for frame only
http://www.retro-gression.com/produc...ader-721-frame

Leader 725 $379 frame only (doesn't seem much lighter than the 721...
http://www.retro-gression.com/produc...ader-725-frame

Not sure if I'm missing much else.

Things that are important to me:
  • Stiffness- I'm a big guy, that wants to concentrate on sprint events
  • Price- As an entry level frame, I don't quite want to commit a ton of money on it yet. I'd like to keep the frameset under $500
  • Standardized parts- I have most of my parts, so needing proprietary parts wouldn't really be doing me a huge favor
  • Good value- I want a frame that I can grow into and continue to race with for a few years
  • Weight- Doesn't need to be super light, I understand that in this price range it likely will not be. I really just don't want a boat anchor

If I've missed anything on the list of frames, let me know. Other than used, that's all I can think of.

carleton 01-29-13 11:31 AM

What size do you ride?

Reading those product sites now...

carleton 01-29-13 11:33 AM

Can you find the geometry of the Leaders for me? I didn't see it on the pages linked above.

Impreza_aL 01-29-13 11:35 AM

weight doesn't matter too much on the track. i'd only consider the dolan out of the bikes you mentioned.

hellyer doesn't have anything for sprinters. this is why a lot of the top sprinters have left the track.

http://stockton.craigslist.org/bik/3528902637.html

buy this sworks and you'll be good to go.

Jaytron 01-29-13 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 15212092)
Can you find the geometry of the Leaders for me? I didn't see it on the pages linked above.

I ride a 54cm according to competitive cyclist.

My current: 722ts:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ION/722Geo.jpg

721:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...psde037d35.png

725:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ps8fed0c0c.png


Quote:

Originally Posted by Impreza_aL (Post 15212102)
weight doesn't matter too much on the track. i'd only consider the dolan out of the bikes you mentioned.

hellyer doesn't have anything for sprinters. this is why a lot of the top sprinters have left the track.

http://stockton.craigslist.org/bik/3528902637.html

buy this sworks and you'll be good to go.

Aren't Wednesdays more sprint oriented?

That Langster is a size too big for me :C

seanifred 01-29-13 11:38 PM

i love my dolan, but it is a tad bit big on me as well. in any case, awesome bike.

Impreza_aL 01-30-13 01:03 AM

I never liked how the leaders have such a long tt. at this point though it doesn't really matter though but definitely ride something you like.

http://www.pedalroom.com/p/jays-722ts-4860_20.jpg

from the look of your setup. You should be able to fit that sworks it has a 55cm tt well there are other parts to fitting but you should be in the general range. i'll take that sworks e5 any day over the leader stuff.

both my road/track bike have similar geos. 53.5 cm tt but i run a 130mm stem slammed with shallow drops. I could get away with a larger frame. i'm 5'8 i think you're few inches taller than me too (of course this doesn't really determine frame size)

Jaytron 01-30-13 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impreza_aL (Post 15214829)
I never liked how the leaders have such a long tt. at this point though it doesn't really matter though but definitely ride something you like.

http://www.pedalroom.com/p/jays-722ts-4860_20.jpg

from the look of your setup. You should be able to fit that sworks it has a 55cm tt well there are other parts to fitting but you should be in the general range. i'll take that sworks e5 any day over the leader stuff.

both my road/track bike have similar geos. 53.5 cm tt but i run a 130mm stem slammed with shallow drops. I could get away with a larger frame. i'm 5'8 i think you're few inches taller than me too (of course this doesn't really determine frame size)

Yeah, I def should have gone a size up on the Leader.

I am a few inches taller than you, but I have short ass arms. Hahaha

I've done basic fits at a few places, but maybe it's time to call up the team coach and shell out the cash for a pro fit.

Impreza_aL 01-30-13 01:31 AM

Oh forgot to respond about racing. Nope both Wednesday and Fridays are enduros days. Unless you're looking for Sprint Tourney's? Rodamaker says he refuses to run those this year.

I don't know what my arm length is but I doubt they are longer than yours lol. Well there you go if you have the resources of a coach definitely use it. He'll probably recommend the BG fit.

I don't have coach or fitter so I'm forced to htfu :(

Jaytron 01-30-13 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impreza_aL (Post 15214857)
Oh forgot to respond about racing. Nope both Wednesday and Fridays are enduros days. Unless you're looking for Sprint Tourney's? Rodamaker says he refuses to run those this year.

I don't know what my arm length is but I doubt they are longer than yours lol. Well there you go if you have the resources of a coach definitely use it. He'll probably recommend the BG fit.

I don't have coach or fitter so I'm forced to htfu :(

Bah.

Last year Wednesdays were more sprint oriented, and Tuesdays were more enduro (from what I heard). Oh well. I can manage a keirin or scratch race. Not sure how well I'd fair in longer stuff like points races.

Gloomy 01-30-13 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impreza_aL (Post 15214829)
I never liked how the leaders have such a long tt.


I've hated that too! I prefer a square fit, sometimes a shorter TT than ST.
I wonder why we never see that kind of frame on the olympics, might be about aerodynamic...

carleton 01-30-13 01:34 PM

What do you guys mean by "long tt"?

Do yo mean in relation to the seat tube length?

Impreza_aL 01-30-13 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 15216754)
What do you guys mean by "long tt"?

Do yo mean in relation to the seat tube length?

Yes and they don't even have a compact geometry. aluminum leaders have a longer tt than usually. for example their 51 has a 54 tt :(

Jaytron 02-05-13 12:46 AM

So I decided that I'm going to go with a Dolan Track Champ.

Anyone have any exp with them in the past?

queerpunk 02-05-13 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaytron (Post 15238271)
So I decided that I'm going to go with a Dolan Track Champ.

Anyone have any exp with them in the past?

a teammate had one. he liked it a lot. stiff, no-nonsense aluminum track bike - what a track bike should be.

Jaytron 02-06-13 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queerpunk (Post 15239813)
a teammate had one. he liked it a lot. stiff, no-nonsense aluminum track bike - what a track bike should be.

Sounds like a great frame I can grow into and race for seasons to come. Thanks!

TMonk 02-07-13 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 15216754)
What do you guys mean by "long tt"?

Do yo mean in relation to the seat tube length?

Given that saddle height (on non ISP frames) is very adjustable with the seatpost, I think they mean "long tt" in relation to the head tube height.

When I am purchasing a frame/bike for road use, I look at frames in the 53-55cm range (effective top tube legnth) and see if the headtube is tall enough to accommodate my long legged ass

Jaytron 02-08-13 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMonk (Post 15248555)
Given that saddle height (on non ISP frames) is very adjustable with the seatpost, I think they mean "long tt" in relation to the head tube height.

When I am purchasing a frame/bike for road use, I look at frames in the 53-55cm range (effective top tube legnth) and see if the headtube is tall enough to accommodate my long legged ass

Didn't you mention getting a Dolan sometime in the past for track? What did you end up going with?

Baby Puke 02-08-13 04:45 PM

Jaytron, can't offer any regular sprint racing at Hellyer, but if you come out Sunday mornings the advanced session is mostly sprinters. Most of us talk way too much so there's plenty of tips to be had. You'll have to be cleared by the supervisiors on duty to participate, but they are usually pretty reasonable about it.

Impreza_aL 02-08-13 05:09 PM

^ those are good if you know what you're doing.

but if you want something structured try the Thursday morning sprint clinic 8am-11am.

TMonk 02-08-13 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaytron (Post 15252446)
Didn't you mention getting a Dolan sometime in the past for track? What did you end up going with?

Ya I bought a Precursa.

It's a great value. The geometry is appropriate and it is definitely stiff enough for my weak ass 150lb body. I really like the bike.

I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

Jaytron 02-22-13 03:26 AM

Bumping this hella old thread.

Still on the search!

Pretty much want one of these:
Dolan Track Champion
geo: http://www.dpmsports.com/dolan/03-track/champion.html

Cinelli Vig
http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server80....1280.1280.png

Bianchi Super Pista
http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/fixe...ista-frameset/

Fuji Track 1.1
http://www.velodromeshop.net/index.p...roduct&id=1996


Am I missing anything with a 56cm eTT, available in frameset?

Hida Yanra 02-22-13 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaytron;
15303045Am I missing anything with a 56cm eTT, available in frameset?

Raleigh makes a decent bike, but 55 & 57.
http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/fram...o-frameset-13/
the geo chart lists the smaller sizes having a 45mm rake - but that isn't correct, they all come with a 40mm rake fork.

Jaytron 02-22-13 01:12 PM

Thanks! Anyone have any first hand experience with which bike is stiffer, or better for the money?

tonski 03-12-13 04:14 PM

Not sure if you made a decision yet but in my experience, if you have any problems with your Leader they won't repair it or make it right


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:37 AM.