Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-13, 07:06 PM   #1
TrackMonkey7
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TrackMonkey7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gym-goers: What do you do to prepare for racing?

I know that a few of you guys go to the gym to augment your performance on the track. I've been lifting regularly for some time now even before I knew there was a 'drome in New England. This year and the previous, I followed Starting Strength during the fall and winter, which is great for people who are new to strength training, but offers little specific training for track racing. Does anyone follow a specific program in the months leading up to the racing season?
TrackMonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-13, 08:05 PM   #2
theblackbullet
Senior Member
 
theblackbullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Georgia
Bikes: I don't even
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went from Starting Strength to Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. Slow and steady progressions and you can mold it to however suits you best. I'm only spending two days a week on lower body right now, and I feel like it's something I'll be able to maintain even throughout the season. This will only be my second full season on the track and I did no lifting leading up into last year, so I'll have to let you know how it goes, but I'm definitely feeling a lot stronger on the bike than I did last year.
theblackbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-13, 08:58 PM   #3
brawlo
Senior Member
 
brawlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
http://upupup.aboc.com.au/the-book/0...etting-started

This is one that I have tried over the last winter. We are in race season now in Oz. It's a very basic get you going style of workout. From this workout, they direct you to Starting Strength. The principle to remember with weights for track is to concentrate on your lower body and core. Your upper body only really needs enough muscle to be able to do the lifts. Any more than that is excess weight.

Also don't forget to be able to translate the strength onto the bike. Over the winter, I did this workout (2 days), a trainer workout and 2 rides of about 50km each on the weekends to keep up fitness. Once I got back on the track bike in our spring, it took me about a month to feel a real improvement which I put down to training that strength to work on the bike.

Also don't forget, there's lots of good sprinters out there that don't even lift. Targetted bike training could be as good or better.
brawlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-13, 04:31 PM   #4
TrackMonkey7
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TrackMonkey7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackbullet View Post
I went from Starting Strength to Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. Slow and steady progressions and you can mold it to however suits you best. I'm only spending two days a week on lower body right now, and I feel like it's something I'll be able to maintain even throughout the season. This will only be my second full season on the track and I did no lifting leading up into last year, so I'll have to let you know how it goes, but I'm definitely feeling a lot stronger on the bike than I did last year.
I've progressed on Starting Strength to the point that I was no longer making linear gains. I switched to the Texas Method as an intermediate program. I was also considering 5/3/1. How do you have it set up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawlo View Post
http://upupup.aboc.com.au/the-book/0...etting-started

This is one that I have tried over the last winter. We are in race season now in Oz. It's a very basic get you going style of workout. From this workout, they direct you to Starting Strength. The principle to remember with weights for track is to concentrate on your lower body and core. Your upper body only really needs enough muscle to be able to do the lifts. Any more than that is excess weight.

Also don't forget to be able to translate the strength onto the bike. Over the winter, I did this workout (2 days), a trainer workout and 2 rides of about 50km each on the weekends to keep up fitness. Once I got back on the track bike in our spring, it took me about a month to feel a real improvement which I put down to training that strength to work on the bike.

Also don't forget, there's lots of good sprinters out there that don't even lift. Targetted bike training could be as good or better.
Hmm, that article basically outlines the Starting Strength program. However I'm exploring that site and it's answering a lot of questions for me. Thanks a bunch for it.

One question I have for everyone is if they spend any time doing higher rep lifts as a means of conditioning, or is it much more beneficial to do all conditioning work on the bike?
TrackMonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-13, 05:56 PM   #5
Gloomy
Member
 
Gloomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackMonkey7 View Post
One question I have for everyone is if they spend any time doing higher rep lifts as a means of conditioning, or is it much more beneficial to do all conditioning work on the bike?
I go for strength only at the gym, so no high rep. I do my conditioning on the bike.
Gloomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-13, 11:33 PM   #6
brawlo
Senior Member
 
brawlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Taking it that you're focusing on sprinting, then strength only at the gym. Build the strength, then tune it to work on the bike. This is my current thought process, but that may all change as I'm seeking out a trainer atm. As for conditioning, think about why you would condition for the bike at the gym. Why not just do it on the bike?
brawlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-13, 11:52 PM   #7
Baby Puke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF3, Intense Pro24 BMX
Posts: 1,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I occasionally do a set of 20 after my work sets (squat), but only in the winter time. It's painful.
Baby Puke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:11 AM.