Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/)
-   -   Gearing for a drag race (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/876519-gearing-drag-race.html)

ochizon 03-07-13 08:11 AM

Gearing for a drag race
 
Hey guys, if you were doing some 333m standing start races, what gearing would you opt for? Im thinking ~88gear-in (50x15)


thoughts?

Jaytron 03-07-13 08:34 AM

It's entirely up to your strength. You'll want enough to get a decent speed at the end, but you'll want a decent amount of acceleration imo.

brawlo 03-07-13 03:40 PM

I would say use a gearing that lets you hit top speed at around the 200m mark. That should give you decent acceleration and you should be able to carry the top speed to the 333 mark or only slightly taper off. From the races like this I've seen, the faster accelerating guys quite often win. By the time the guys riding bigger gears get up to speed, the faster accelerating guys are usually far anough ahead to take the win.

Of course, what particular gearing you use will be entirely dependant on your ability.

Impreza_aL 03-07-13 04:42 PM

yes.

IvyCap 03-07-13 06:38 PM

cadence/strength/stamina.

Baby Puke 03-08-13 12:11 AM

Carleton, I'm curious- what gear do you use for chariots?

Kayce 03-08-13 09:01 AM

The shorter the race, the more important the start is. So I would opt down a little bit if there is a question.

carleton 03-09-13 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaytron (Post 15355504)
It's entirely up to your strength. You'll want enough to get a decent speed at the end, but you'll want a decent amount of acceleration imo.

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by brawlo (Post 15357383)
I would say use a gearing that lets you hit top speed at around the 200m mark. That should give you decent acceleration and you should be able to carry the top speed to the 333 mark or only slightly taper off. From the races like this I've seen, the faster accelerating guys quite often win. By the time the guys riding bigger gears get up to speed, the faster accelerating guys are usually far anough ahead to take the win.

Of course, what particular gearing you use will be entirely dependant on your ability.

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Puke (Post 15359386)
Carleton, I'm curious- what gear do you use for chariots?

Last season I used 47 or 48/14 using 165mm cranks. So lots of spinning going on.

This year I'm training with Kirk Whiteman...so things are different :)

The other day I did my first starts of this season:

http://i.imgur.com/igCHqIm.jpg

Hopefully things go up from here. Hopefully.

Baby Puke 03-10-13 12:44 AM

Interesting, I would have thought you'd ride bigger than a 90-92" gear. That's probably about what I would ride.

carleton 03-10-13 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Puke (Post 15367176)
Interesting, I would have thought you'd ride bigger than a 90-92" gear. That's probably about what I would ride.

I think I rode 49/14 or 50/14 for our team sprint at nationals. But that was riding with a peak.

shrinkboy 03-23-13 09:53 AM

a tangent-- i'm taking whiteman's sprint clinic at superdrome in a couple weeks----which i am looking forward to---i have 0 experience riding match sprints but did the winter training series at superdrome, riding a 48x14 on 165's all the way

carleton 03-23-13 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 15365196)
http://i.imgur.com/igCHqIm.jpg

Hopefully things go up from here. Hopefully.

Numbers are still going up :D

http://i.imgur.com/CRaR0eN.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrinkboy (Post 15422049)
a tangent-- i'm taking whiteman's sprint clinic at superdrome in a couple weeks----which i am looking forward to---i have 0 experience riding match sprints but did the winter training series at superdrome, riding a 48x14 on 165's all the way

Have you tried smaller gears?

Kirk is an awesome coach. I'm trying to make that clinic, too. Need to see what's up with work, though.

shrinkboy 03-26-13 09:45 AM

48x14 seems pretty good to me, but as i've said, i have 0 experience with match sprint, which might need a smaller gear, i don't really know. when doing the 'freeze the burn' winter training series on wednesday nights, at some point in there i went several weeks mistakenly riding my 48x16, a 78" gear. i'd be in the pace line thinking 'my god i'm spinning like CRAZY just to stay on the hook here' and it finally occurred to me to look at which cog i was on. i then realized i was on the 16 and went back to the 14 and things got mildly easier, in the sense that i didn't have the feeling of running out of gear too soon.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:53 PM.