Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/)
-   -   Track Racing Frames and Complete Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/878988-track-racing-frames-complete-bikes.html)

Quinn8it 11-27-13 08:56 PM

Eimei
 
Heres one for ya-

its got the drop-outs and seat post/clamp of the Dolan Forza pictured above- but im pretty convinced its the mold from the old Dolan Arc/ Teschner Track Pro...

it has the ARC's post slip tendencies..

Apparently these are being raced in the Womens Keirin league... no pesky NJS standards for the Ladies..

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-D...001_140734.jpg

mxs 11-28-13 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinn8it (Post 16284884)

Apparently these are being raced in the Womens Keirin league... no pesky NJS standards for the Ladies..

Actually all of the new Girls Keirin stuff (frame, wheel set, stem, and saddles) is authorized and marked with the NJS logo, but only available to the women. I don't know about Eimei, but per the official site, the only currently sanctioned frames are Boma, Beidgestone, Ganwell, Kalavinka, and Bomber.

http://www.girlskeirin.com/portal/about/use.html

Impreza_aL 11-28-13 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxs (Post 16286464)
Actually all of the new Girls Keirin stuff (frame, wheel set, stem, and saddles) is authorized and marked with the NJS logo, but only available to the women. I don't know about Eimei, but per the official site, the only currently sanctioned frames are Boma, Beidgestone, Ganwell, Kalavinka, and Bomber.

http://www.girlskeirin.com/portal/about/use.html

boma looks like a planet x and the gan well the open mold china frame. i'll take a kalavinka please!

brawlo 11-28-13 10:42 PM

This clip has Karlee McCulloch from Aust racing her BT, so there must be a little bit of wiggle room there


mxs 11-29-13 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brawlo (Post 16287187)
This clip has Karlee McCulloch from Aust racing her BT, so there must be a little bit of wiggle room there

Having spoken to some of the girls, the Girls Keirin series is supposed to act as a feeder program to Olympic team and try and raise Japan's status. That's why their rules and equipment is more aligned to the UCI and hence why the ubiquitous kashimax saddle found in the men's series is not race legal, at least for now.

Sorry to derail the thread

8bits 11-29-13 02:22 PM

new carbon bike with standard seatpost, don't know if they are available yet

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8...no/photo+5.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-r...no/photo+2.jpg

carleton 11-29-13 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8bits (Post 16288391)
new carbon bike with standard seatpost, don't know if they are available yet

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8...no/photo+5.jpg

Awesome!

I had a Planet X in 2009...and the proprietary post slipped on me :(

It's awesome that they went to a standard round post. Please post pics when you have it built.

8bits 11-29-13 04:24 PM

it's not mine, those pics are from the Planet X feed on Google Plus, these are pics of the new track frame

Quinn8it 11-29-13 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 16288595)
Awesome!

I had a Planet X in 2009...and the proprietary post slipped on me :(

It's awesome that they went to a standard round post. Please post pics when you have it built.

Its a good looking frame- and standard post is a big plus in my book..

i wonder what the geometry will be like? PX tends to favor longer Top-Tube frames, but their original track frame was actually sort of short IIRC..
the PX- Aluminum road frame is about the only stock frame out there that fits me.. Very Long TT!!

usheen 12-02-13 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8bits (Post 16288391)
new carbon bike with standard seatpost, don't know if they are available yet

Where are you getting standard seatpost from? In the full size pictures it looks like they're aero openings for the seatposts and the clamp system is the style that some aero frames have

8bits 12-02-13 01:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
yeah you may be right, it seemed like the old DF3 type of hole but zooming in it seems it's an aero seatpost :-/
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=353595

carleton 12-02-13 01:53 PM

Oh well...back to the drawing board.

Impreza_aL 12-02-13 04:40 PM

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7286/8...2729f380_z.jpg

thinking of switching to an aluminum seat post but the cf is so purrrtyy.

carleton 12-05-13 04:18 PM

I'm unsticking this. If you think we need one for 2014, speak up.

amybikes 12-11-13 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impreza_aL (Post 16287164)
boma looks like a planet x and the gan well the open mold china frame. i'll take a kalavinka please!


YES! THIS! DREAM BIKE! http://www.kalavinka-bikes.com/index_j.htm
also, not positive, but I think they have a standard seat post.

carleton 12-11-13 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amybikes (Post 16320098)
YES! THIS! DREAM BIKE! http://www.kalavinka-bikes.com/index_j.htm
also, not positive, but I think they have a standard seat post.

Yeah, those are hot. And yes, they use 27.2mm seatposts. Largest size is 55cm. They use an eccentric bottom bracket which can be used to change the angles of the bike. This is pretty sweet.

http://www.kalavinka-bikes.com/image...t-20130401.gif

http://www.kalavinka-bikes.com/image.../otsuka_08.jpg

Looks like this has Josiah Ng's name on it:
http://www.kalavinka-bikes.com/image.../otsuka_05.jpg

Specs: http://www.kalavinka-bikes.com/image...on/trackcf.htm
Translated: http://translate.google.com/translat...%2Ftrackcf.htm
Here is a gallery: http://www.kalavinka-bikes.com/image...cf_gallery.htm

They are listed at 300000JPY which is around $2,900USD.

There were at least 2 floating round the US track scene a couple of years ago, ridden by Ian Moir and Hanan Alves-Hyde. Those were some sweet bikes.

amybikes 12-11-13 09:44 AM

Ian Moir has two of them actually, a mass start set up and a time trial set up! They are beautiful. I believe, however, he's a little two big for the biggest size, so his set up violates the UCI +5cm rules, and he's been riding a dolan around this year. He claims they ride and handle nicer for what they are (he says a great mass start sprint bike) than any of the other high end bikes that are much more expensive. (think TK1, Look, etc.)

The canadian team pursuit women (at least one or two of them) used to ride them too. (The first frame pictured) That's how I found out about them, they were training at Velo Sports Center one of the first times I went up there.

Ian says Kalavinka is just one older gentleman hand making these bikes! I really hope I can afford one soon.

(on another note, I'm pretty sure Ian doesn't know me by name, but would just know me as the creepy ginger chick that follows him around drooling at his bike)

Impreza_aL 12-11-13 10:43 AM

yes hanan has/had one. i think she's stopped riding after she left the bay area.

yes ian has a beautiful bike.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2838/9...eb15a98d_z.jpg

i thought josiah was riding a bt?

there was a kalavinka on sale a while back but i think it had recently sold. i wanted the frame really bad but it has such a short HT and i don't like spacers they are such an ugly thing lol.

Quinn8it 12-11-13 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 16320121)
Yeah, those are hot. And yes, they use 27.2mm seatposts. Largest size is 55cm. They use an eccentric bottom bracket which can be used to change the angles of the bike. This is pretty sweet.

The Geo sheet for the Eimei that i am demo'ing (pic at top of page) only listed up to 55cm(tt)… but of the 3 bikes sent to my friend one of them is clearly a 57tt(mine)… it is possible that the geo charts are only listing the typical frames for women's keirin? all I'm saying is it might be available bigger…

amybikes 12-11-13 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinn8it (Post 16321230)
The Geo sheet for the Eimei that i am demo'ing (pic at top of page) only listed up to 55cm(tt)… but of the 3 bikes sent to my friend one of them is clearly a 57tt(mine)… it is possible that the geo charts are only listing the typical frames for women's keirin? all I'm saying is it might be available bigger…

According to Ian, no. Or at least, last year, they didn't have one. He's sponsored by them, and so wanted to ride a bike of theirs instead of the Dolan to meet the UCI standard, but he said the only thing they could've done for him within the time frame necessary was make a custom steel one. Perhaps now they have a bigger frame?

carleton 12-11-13 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinn8it (Post 16321230)
The Geo sheet for the Eimei that i am demo'ing (pic at top of page) only listed up to 55cm(tt)… but of the 3 bikes sent to my friend one of them is clearly a 57tt(mine)… it is possible that the geo charts are only listing the typical frames for women's keirin? all I'm saying is it might be available bigger…

The carbon Bridgestone/Anchor bikes were the same way with the largest size being a 55cm. This is understandable being that their target market (Japan) probably doesn't have very many riders over 6ft (183cm) tall.

The LOOK 496 also only comes with a max size of 56cm, which I think is crazy being that they serve Europe and North America which has a large number of racers over 6ft tall. Gregory Bauge is maybe 6'2" (188cm) and Kevin Sireau is maybe 6'4" (193cm), but those guys probably got custom frames with longer top tubes.

carleton 12-11-13 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impreza_aL (Post 16320949)
i thought josiah was riding a bt?

I believe that the Malaysian team is sponsored by BT. But, I've seen photos of Josiah on a number of really, really nice frames. I would imagine that he's a bike nerd like the rest of us...except he has the access (and the legs) to get these bikes.

mxs 12-11-13 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amybikes (Post 16320763)
Ian says Kalavinka is just one older gentleman hand making these bikes! I really hope I can afford one soon.


Yes, basically it's just Tanabe-san, who must be getting up there in age by now, by himself working out of a shop that's smaller than my living room. His wife used to hand paint their steel head badges, but no longer does on account of her diminishing eyesight. I stopped by once to look around the workshop and he was extremely friendly and welcoming. He even apologized that he was not doing any brazing work that day as he would have been more than happy to teach me the basics.

Quinn8it 12-11-13 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amybikes (Post 16320763)

Ian says Kalavinka is just one older gentleman hand making these bikes! I really hope I can afford one soon.

While I am sure that's true for the steel Frames... It's safe to say he is not making the carbon bikes... Probably coming from the same factory as every other moderately priced carbon track frame out there...

wens 12-11-13 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 16320121)
Yeah, those are hot. And yes, they use 27.2mm seatposts. Largest size is 55cm. They use an eccentric bottom bracket which can be used to change the angles of the bike. This is pretty sweet.

I wonder how an eccentric is done that doesn't slip under sprint torque. The guys I've known who have used them for chain tension all seem to have had issues at one time or another.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:34 PM.